[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Sort of wish the 'Tundra' parts had a node on the bottom for attachment to a 2.5 or 3.75 meter cradle.  But I guess I'm supposed to use the MultiHub and put the cradle on the bottom of those so that I can support both 2.5 and 3.75 meter pieces in each segment.

14 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Sort of wish the 'Tundra' parts had a node on the bottom for attachment to a 2.5 or 3.75 meter cradle.  But I guess I'm supposed to use the MultiHub and put the cradle on the bottom of those so that I can support both 2.5 and 3.75 meter pieces in each segment.

They do have one, here. Others seem to have them too, looking at screenshots  (some even have functional extensible legs, which I don't for some reason).

55 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

They have them on the side. It bugs me too. If @RoverDude would be OK with it? I'll do a PR to add some extra nodes on them all where needed. They should early be there for the cradles.

40 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

They do have one, here. Others seem to have them too, looking at screenshots  (some even have functional extensible legs, which I don't for some reason).

They're on the sides so if they have cradles on they're probably turned sideways. The legs you are seeing are the cradles from konstruction which is bundled with MKS.

Some are top/bottom (mostly the 375 ones IIRC) and others are on the sides (250s). You can always do a little radial attachment node and stick the cradle to that, or probably just straight surface-attach the cradle...

The leg controls are a little weird: see those sliders at the top of the PAW? If those are at 100 (the default) then "extended" and "retracted" look the same. Move them down a bit (gently!) and you'll get legs that extend more than zero meters.

46 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

They're on the sides so if they have cradles on they're probably turned sideways.

I guess it depends on what you consider sideways :) I think zabieru is right and it depends on the ones. In the last screenshot yourself uploaded here, where craddles show, they're in the correct orientation (for me): craddle at the bottom, markings on the sides.

14 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

I guess it depends on what you consider sideways :) I think zabieru is right and it depends on the ones. In the last screenshot yourself uploaded here, where craddles show, they're in the correct orientation (for me): craddle at the bottom, markings on the sides.

You're right some are some aren't. Thinks it's the smaller ones that are on the sides. See in this picture I had to turn 2.5m on its side to get the cradle node.

vI8FEvu.jpg

It'd be useful to have a centre node on all 4 sides for all sorts of reasons and it's a simple .cfg edit.

Then it's probably an oversight that the 2.5m 'Tundra' modules have the nodes on the sides instead of top/bottom.

On a different note, I wish there was a tail section for the Karibou rover with integrated ladder like the Malemute.  The Malemute is so much easier to climb in/out of on Minmus then the Karibou.

I have two station pieces in orbit with Clamp-O-Tron Construction Port Seniors that I simply can't get to magnetize. They just bounce off each other. I've got the ports aligned in the same orientation to each other and I've tried every setting for the Snap and the various sliders on both ports. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Settings shown in screenshot below -- I stuck it together with that Klaw as a temporary fix so I could get this screenshot, it's not normally there. The ports are definitely installed on the vessels in the right orientation.G2PD4aS.png

Does anyone know how to add parts to the VAB/SPH category tabs? Specifically the USI added Kolonization/Logistics etc tabs? 

I rooted around the USI tools and the separate CCK folder, but couldn't seem to find anything. Either way my attempts to add other parts to those categories have proven to not work.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask; I don't think there is a USI universal or USI tools thread..

1 hour ago, HypnoButler said:

I have two station pieces in orbit with Clamp-O-Tron Construction Port Seniors that I simply can't get to magnetize. They just bounce off each other. I've got the ports aligned in the same orientation to each other and I've tried every setting for the Snap and the various sliders on both ports. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Settings shown in screenshot below -- I stuck it together with that Klaw as a temporary fix so I could get this screenshot, it's not normally there. The ports are definitely installed on the vessels in the right orientation.

Someone was mentioning a while back that contstruction docking ports won't magnetize if one of them is the root part of its vessel. If this is the case, there is a convoluted way of re-rooting a vessel with KIS and KAS.

3 hours ago, Merkov said:

Someone was mentioning a while back that contstruction docking ports won't magnetize if one of them is the root part of its vessel. If this is the case, there is a convoluted way of re-rooting a vessel with KIS and KAS.

That might be worth a shot, any idea how to go about re-rooting it?

@Kaa253 Those are from the K&K planetary parts pack. They make a KAS corridor much like the MKS flexotubes but the stats are a bit different, I believe shorter max distance and mechanically stronger. That pack also has a similar single-seat airlock if that's what you're looking for.

57 minutes ago, HypnoButler said:

That might be worth a shot, any idea how to go about re-rooting it?

It's not as simple and straightforward as I wish it was, but this thread describes the process:

I have managed to get this to work on a station in orbit, but it took some patience. Hopefully you're better at EVA pack flying than I am :P.

Don't know if this is where I am supposed to post this and I feel like I am just missing something but a couple of my kerbals got home sick so I took them back to kerbin and they got stuck as tourists.  I have warped 100+ days and they aren't changing back.  Hope someone has an idea what is going on.

33 minutes ago, cwal728 said:

Don't know if this is where I am supposed to post this and I feel like I am just missing something but a couple of my kerbals got home sick so I took them back to kerbin and they got stuck as tourists.  I have warped 100+ days and they aren't changing back.  Hope someone has an idea what is going on.

Welcome to the forums!

Technically this would be a question for the USI Life Support thread, but this is close enough (most of us run multiple USI mods anyway)

When you say you "took them back to kerbin" did you actually land and/or recover them, or are they still in orbit? I know that for supplies expiring, a kerbal needs to be beneath 25km over Kerbin in order to no longer require supplies. I don't remember for certain, but I think the same thing applies to hab/home timers expiring. If your kerbals are still in orbit, you should be able to revive them by dropping them below 25 km.

If your kerbals are already below 25 km... then we have a different problem, and we'll need more details. Describe the situation, what you've done, etc. in detail.

Hope this helps!

Or, yeah, what RoverDude said.

Edited by Merkov
ninja'd!

9 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Does anyone know how to add parts to the VAB/SPH category tabs? Specifically the USI added Kolonization/Logistics etc tabs? 

I rooted around the USI tools and the separate CCK folder, but couldn't seem to find anything. Either way my attempts to add other parts to those categories have proven to not work.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask; I don't think there is a USI universal or USI tools thread..

The CCK custom categories work by looking for specific tags in the part definitions. You can add a tag to a part (without affecting its existing tags) with a MM patch like this:

@PART[nameOfPart]
{
	@tags = ^=:$:, newTag: // note the : at the start and end of added text
}

The relevant tags for the different categories are:

• cck-lifesupport
  • cck-containers

The USI categories work based on the manufacturer instead:

@PART[nameOfPart]
{
	@manufacturer = newManufacturer // no special syntax needed
}

The relevant manufacturers (defined in USI_Tools) are:

• USI - Rover Division
  • USI - Manufacturing Division
  • USI - Logistics Division
  • USI - Construction Division
  • USI - Kolonization Division

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

More details please.  Are they landed?  Recovered?  In orbit?  etc. 

1 hour ago, Merkov said:

Welcome to the forums!

Technically this would be a question for the USI Life Support thread, but this is close enough (most of us run multiple USI mods anyway)

When you say you "took them back to kerbin" did you actually land and/or recover them, or are they still in orbit? I know that for supplies expiring, a kerbal needs to be beneath 25km over Kerbin in order to no longer require supplies. I don't remember for certain, but I think the same thing applies to hab/home timers expiring. If your kerbals are still in orbit, you should be able to revive them by dropping them below 25 km.

If your kerbals are already below 25 km... then we have a different problem, and we'll need more details. Describe the situation, what you've done, etc. in detail.

Hope this helps!

Or, yeah, what RoverDude said.

Ok sorry for the lack of detail, I have recovered them and they are back at the space center.  That is where I found out that they were listed as tourists.  Thanks for the quick replies. :)

9 hours ago, Merkov said:

11 hours ago, HypnoButler said:

I have two station pieces in orbit with Clamp-O-Tron Construction Port Seniors that I simply can't get to magnetize. They just bounce off each other. I've got the ports aligned in the same orientation to each other and I've tried every setting for the Snap and the various sliders on both ports. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Settings shown in screenshot below -- I stuck it together with that Klaw as a temporary fix so I could get this screenshot, it's not normally there. The ports are definitely installed on the vessels in the right orientation.

If one of the ports is a root, they will connect and function like any old docking port, but they just won't compress and weld the vessels together since it would involve destroying the root part. I've had this not snapping problem so many times before, all you need to do is disable snap on one of the ports and they will work.

16 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I've had this not snapping problem so many times before, all you need to do is disable snap on one of the ports and they will work.

I ran into this "not coupling with snapping on" issue yesterday, too. I think I was relative good aligned, 0,5° according DPAI. So one port may not have snap on? Does the overall snapping system to connect to the desired angle then still work?

10 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

I ran into this "not coupling with snapping on" issue yesterday, too. I think I was relative good aligned, 0,5° according DPAI. So one port may not have snap on? Does the overall snapping system to connect to the desired angle then still work?

Not sure, all I know is that there is a weird problem where having snap on can screw with the port connecting, and refuse to connect until turned off on one of them. I think it's something to do with the angle specified in the tweakables, and the ports intentionally not connecting until the craft is at that exact angle to the port (and this behaviour toggles with snap). I've never used these ports beyond simple base module welding, try checking the Konstruction thread?

Edited by voicey99

I've almost always turned snapping off on BOTH docking ports when I've used them, and simply aligned things by eye. My understanding was always that if snap was turned on for one docking port, then you would be forced to align them properly as per the tweakables (since there's no way to only align one docking port. Either they're both aligned, or they aren't). Having said that, when I HAVE used the snapping feature, I've never personally had it where I absolutely could not get them to dock, and certainly not had it where I had no magnetic force (as was mentioned a little higher up). Turning up some of the forces in the tweakables can help in some cases (as these will increase docking pull strength and even apply a bit of torque to help line the ports up correctly. There is a good image in the KSPedia and the MKS wiki that shows what each tweakable controls).

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

If one of the ports is a root, they will connect and function like any old docking port, but they just won't compress and weld the vessels together since it would involve destroying the root part. I've had this not snapping problem so many times before, all you need to do is disable snap on one of the ports and they will work.

Nope, the root part issue will stop them ever connecting. They won't even magnetise. The snaping issue is not an issue it's a feature.

1 hour ago, Jebs_SY said:

Yep on last test it's working perfectly.

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

Not sure, all I know is that there is a weird problem where having snap on can screw with the port connecting, and refuse to connect until turned off on one of them. I think it's something to do with the angle specified in the tweakables, and the ports intentionally not connecting until the craft is at that exact angle to the port (and this behaviour toggles with snap). I've never used these ports beyond simple base module welding, try checking the Konstruction thread?

Yep that's it, it's to allow for very precise konstruction angles.

magnet%20diagram.png

1 minute ago, dboi88 said:

Nope, the root part issue will stop them ever connecting. They won't even magnetise. The snaping issue is not an issue it's a feature.

If that's the case, then how did I dock two ports, one of which is a root (and then had to use the KIS rerooting trick to compress)?