[1.8+] Kerbal Health 1.6.8 (2024-01-22)

garwel

Oh I like the changes! :rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

The VAB report updates when I add a Kerbal to the SciLab, there is a nice balance between weight and radiation shielding there. Easily possible to do a 0% exposure base if needed, but it'll cost you a bit under an extra 1/3 in shielding and there are plenty of options for that too. Built in RadShield for some parts, or I can use heatshields / structural panels as well. Not a problem for short trips, but now additional planning/design is needed to accommodate new requirements. :):):) 

Weeee! I'm giddy that this is done before the weekend allowing me to play all day tomorrow.

And big thank you for the 1.3 backport - you didn't have to at all and could of only did a 1.3.1 release. I very much appreciate you spending the time / effort to do it. It allows me to continue my 1.3 career with the updated Kerbal Health features while other mods update to 1.3.1 when they're ready / have time.

Look forward to more updates in the future :) 

Edited by wile1411

Minor Bug report for KSP 1.3.1 - there is a DeepFreeze error from Kerbal Health spamming the log when Deep Freeze isn't installed. After a number of test flights, I launched a craft to the runway and let it sit there and the log file had a repeating KH error for each of it's "ticks". The file -here- gives the results before I quit the game to upload the file.

Specifically:

[LOG 00:48:00.904] 10/7/2017 12:48:00 AM,KerbalHealth-DFWrapper,Attempting to Grab DeepFreeze Types...
[LOG 00:48:00.907] [KerbalHealth] ERROR: Could not initialize DFWrapper.
[EXC 00:48:00.909] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KerbalHealth.ConnectedFactor.ChangePerDay (.ProtoCrewMember pcm)
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.HealthChangePerDay ()
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.Update (Double interval)
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthList.Update (Double interval)
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.UpdateKerbals (Boolean forced)
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.FixedUpdate ()

[LOG 00:48:05.319] 10/7/2017 12:48:05 AM,KerbalHealth-DFWrapper,Attempting to Grab DeepFreeze Types...
[LOG 00:48:05.323] [KerbalHealth] ERROR: Could not initialize DFWrapper.
[EXC 00:48:05.325] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KerbalHealth.ConnectedFactor.ChangePerDay (.ProtoCrewMember pcm)
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.HealthChangePerDay ()
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthStatus.Update (Double interval)
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthList.Update (Double interval)
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.UpdateKerbals (Boolean forced)
	KerbalHealth.KerbalHealthScenario.OnSave (.ConfigNode node)
	ScenarioModule.Save (.ConfigNode node)
	ProtoScenarioModule..ctor (.ScenarioModule module)
	ScenarioRunner.UpdateModules ()
	ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules ()
	Game.Updated ()
	PauseMenu.<draw>m__710 ()
	DialogGUIButton.OptionSelected ()
	DialogGUIButton.<Create>m__6FD ()
	UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args)
	UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters)
	UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters)
	UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke ()
	UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press ()
	UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Edited by wile1411

21 minutes ago, garwel said:

Can you tell me what exactly happened? I understand your rover exploded. Did Jebediah die or did he survive? Was he in an external seat at that moment? Did you have CommNet enabled?

I have a flea rocket with a command seat glider on top. Took off, got to top of arc, EVA'ed to command seat, decoupled glider and soar back to ground. Jeb crashed with style and was ejected from craft but survived 2-3 iterations of this.  On 3rd attempt, I noticed the error, and loaded the rocket to the runway and saw the error repeating itself in console. Quit game and posted on here for you.
Commnet was enabled, but didn't have a specific antenna added to craft. Can provide copy if needed.

Edited by wile1411

I'm thinking about using this mod for my next career save (which I probably won't start until a month or two, though), I was reading about the radiation part and I wonder: can permanent bases on bodies without an atmosphere be made with this mod or Kerbals have to be returned to Kerbin because they'd eventually die to radiation if stuck in a base for too long? The same with habitation, is it possible to make a base with enough room so Kerbals can remain there either indefinitely or for so long that it doesn't matter?

2 hours ago, juanml82 said:

I'm thinking about using this mod for my next career save (which I probably won't start until a month or two, though), I was reading about the radiation part and I wonder: can permanent bases on bodies without an atmosphere be made with this mod or Kerbals have to be returned to Kerbin because they'd eventually die to radiation if stuck in a base for too long? The same with habitation, is it possible to make a base with enough room so Kerbals can remain there either indefinitely or for so long that it doesn't matter?

Yep - you'll need to use the build tool to see the exposure rate %. If you build your base with enough RadShield resourse added to crew parts / other parts that have RadShield (eg HeatShields) - combined with including additional Shielding parts to your design eg 2x2 Structural plate, you'll get your exposure rate to 0.0% and that would give you an indefinite / "doesn't matter" length of time. Obviously any time the step outside they'll cop a high dose on a no-atmosphere body, but they'll be safe when sleeping  in their beds :) 

Edited by wile1411

3 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Yep - you'll need to use the build tool to see the exposure rate %. If you build your base with enough RadShield resourse added to crew parts / other parts that have RadShield (eg HeatShields) - combined with including additional Shielding parts to your design eg 2x2 Structural plate, you'll get your exposure rate to 0.0% and that would give you an indefinite / "doesn't matter" length of time. Obviously any time the step outside they'll cop a high dose on a no-atmosphere body, but they'll be safe when sleeping  in their beds :) 

I see. Also, is radiation dependent on solar radiation? As in, would kerbals be unaffected by radiation by doing evas at night? Or is it a background drain that happens outside, in a permanent basis? Aslo do parts occlude/shade one another? IOW, can I protect Kerbals in a habitat by surrounding it with containers, fuel depots and other stuff?

Edited by juanml82

2 hours ago, juanml82 said:

I see. Also, is radiation dependent on solar radiation? As in, would kerbals be unaffected by radiation by doing evas at night? Or is it a background drain that happens outside, in a permanent basis? Aslo do parts occlude/shade one another? IOW, can I protect Kerbals in a habitat by surrounding it with containers, fuel depots and other stuff?

Time of day or parts' relative location don't play a role here. This would be too much of a performance hit and could require too much micromanagement from the player. Besides, real radiation patterns are much more complex than sunshine and I don't pretend to simulate it accurately. However, when you are very close to a celestial body, you experience only half the radiation because the other half is blocked by the body itself. Think of it as a "night bonus" of sorts.

Another suggestion for a setting - For people like myself who are NOT hard-core (I can't bring myself to let Kerbals 'die' due to Life Support mods ;.;) could there by a intermediate difficult setting on what happens when a Kerbals HP gets to 0% that fits somewhere between 'death' and 'tourist'?

Put another way, could there be something that sets to how long a Kerbal might be unavailable if they ever reach 0% HP. At the moment, they just go to tourist mode after going below the exhausted threshold and are fine after getting above the return threshold.
Suggestions:
 - When they hit 0%, it could set them as unconscience (G-load-limit-static-screen-thingyTM) for a selectable number of days. (I haven't tested, is it possible to transfer an unconscience Kerbal to the SciLab / medbay for treatment?)

- After hitting 0% and while their HP chg/tick is still negative, they are set to a 'Sleeping' status or 'ICU' or something. Also, a 'disabled' counter increments each time the KH update tick occurs. When supplied with positive health status that would normally add to their HP (eg xfr to medbay or return to KSC), the 'disabled' counter ticks down each KH update tick and the Kerbal is given a 'recovering' status to show they are improving. When the 'disabled' counter gets to zero their HP starts going up again. The result would be - if you leave a Kerbal at 0% for a length of time (eg 4 days), that same length of time would be how long you need to heal them (eg 4 days) before they can add to their HP again.

The last suggestion is mainly to allow for neglect of a Kerbal to scale up proportionally with how long the player leaves their Kerbals in a bad situation.

Having said all the above - I'm still happy to play with KH as is and have no worries about the ideas being passed over. I think with MKS medbay that heals at 8HP/day, it would still take 3-4.5 in game days to heal a 0% Kerbal up to a point where they are able to do something useful.

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

This looks interesting and like a more forgiving Kerbalism but mainly the health side. There is a way to have 100% self sufficiency yes? Also will there be a way to reduce radiation to 0 to enable the creation of self sustaining bases?

Depending on what you call self-sufficiency. You can design a vessel or a station where your kerbals can remain indefinitely, if you use parts that provide Health Recovery (e.g. Cupola). But their health will still be below 100%; it will just stop worsening. You'll still have to take it into account for missions out of your comfortable home-away-from-home.

You cannot completely prevent all radiation, but you can reduce it well enough not to worry about it for any reasonable time.

It is going to be lots of fun to install this alongside of some of the simpler life support mods such as USI LS snacks and Interstellar IFI which happens to be a mod on Reviving. Having life support and health issues would go a long way to making the game very realistic and challenging.

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It is going to be lots of fun to install this alongside of some of the simpler life support mods such as USI LS snacks and Interstellar IFI which happens to be a mod on Reviving. Having life support and health issues would go a long way to making the game very realistic and challenging.

TAC-LS is the way to go :P

Phew - updated entire install to 1.3.1 and all working fine with <10 ERRs in the log file on game load which is not bad for me.

I'm using KH 1.0 for 1.3.1 and I see that this didn't remove the DeepFreeze errors when in game. Eg: 

Just reporting that it's the same across versions. Update whenever you're ready. :) 

1 minute ago, wile1411 said:

Phew - updated entire install to 1.3.1 and all working fine with <10 ERRs in the log file on game load which is not bad for me.

I'm using KH 1.0 for 1.3.1 and I see that this didn't remove the DeepFreeze errors when in game. Eg: 

Just reporting that it's the same across versions. Update whenever you're ready. :) 

Yep, I know. It's not an actual error; it just means you don't have DeepFreeze installed. In the next release, this spam will be fixed (along with the tiny performance hit it creates).

As to your idea for kerbals temporary inactivity instead of death, you can pretty much make it yourself already. Just set the Exhaustion start and end values higher, e.g. around 50%, and it will do the trick. You may also want to increase the maximum HP and HP level gain to compensate.

12 minutes ago, garwel said:

As to your idea for kerbals temporary inactivity instead of death, you can pretty much make it yourself already. Just set the Exhaustion start and end values higher, e.g. around 50%, and it will do the trick. You may also want to increase the maximum HP and HP level gain to compensate.

Awesome - thanks for that idea. Didn't think of raising the HP.

I am getting errors and the return to space center and tracking station buttons isn't working, neither quit to main menu, F5 or F9. The game says error with kerbal health. On a phone so unable to send log file until maybe next week. The game fixes when I quit and open again but it's tiresome

Is it possible for an ageing mechanic to be implemented so that kerbals age and die after 50 years or maybe more? I wanna build a generational ship

3 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I am getting errors and the return to space center and tracking station buttons isn't working, neither quit to main menu, F5 or F9. The game says error with kerbal health. On a phone so unable to send log file until maybe next week. The game fixes when I quit and open again but it's tiresome

Is it possible for an ageing mechanic to be implemented so that kerbals age and die after 50 years or maybe more? I wanna build a generational ship

Please do provide the output log. Or at least tell me very clearly how it happened. I can't do anything with this little information.

I don't think ageing per se makes sense here, but in a way, radiation with its permanent health degradation gives you something resembling ageing.

1 hour ago, garwel said:

Please do provide the output log. Or at least tell me very clearly how it happened. I can't do anything with this little information.

I don't think ageing per se makes sense here, but in a way, radiation with its permanent health degradation gives you something resembling ageing.

Is there a way for me to play with both this and Kerbalism?

With this mod and Kerbalism?

8 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Is there a way for me to play with both this and Kerbalism?

With this mod and Kerbalism?

I haven't played with Kerbalism for more than a few minutes, but you can give it a try. Some things clearly overlap between Kerbal Health and Kerbalism (health/comfort, radiation, etc.), so you may have to disable some of the features. Otherwise, you'll have to make sure your vessel satisfies conditions of both mods. Also, any mod that can turn a crew member into a Tourist may conflict with another such mod, possibly resulting in a kerbal remaining a Tourist forever (I try to prevent it on my side, but I don't know how other mods behave). This is quite rare, but possible. Also, there is no special support for Kerbalism's parts: they should have some RadiationShielding capability, but no health modules, hence you'll need other parts if you want a sustainable base.

I've been playing with Kerbal Health recently and would like to make a few suggestions for your consideration:

• Would it be possible to add trait icons on the health overview menu?
  • On the right-click menu for parts that have health recuperation abilities it says "Toggle Health Module" (or something to that effect). Could that be changed show the status? Something like "Health Module: On/Off" on the right-click menu.
  • If you choose to provide a way to reduce accumulated radiation in the future, I suggest a half-life mechanic.

I've been quite happy playing with Kerbal Health in my current save in its current form so, no big deal if you can't or don't want to add those features.

4 minutes ago, Epiphanic said:

I've been playing with Kerbal Health recently and would like to make a few suggestions for your consideration:

• Would it be possible to add trait icons on the health overview menu?

Maybe in the future. Not sure how they'll fit with the currently text-only UI.

• On the right-click menu for parts that have health recuperation abilities it says "Toggle Health Module" (or something to that effect). Could that be changed show the status? Something like "Health Module: On/Off" on the right-click menu.

I want to do something like that, because the current system is admittedly confusing. But I'll have to figure out how it all works. So far, you have to look at the lines at the top, which say "Health Module Enabled: True/False". If the part has several health modules, they follow the same order as in part info in the Editor.

• If you choose to provide a way to reduce accumulated radiation in the future, I suggest a half-life mechanic.

I've been quite happy playing with Kerbal Health in my current save in its current form so, no big deal if you can't or don't want to add those features.

What do you mean as a half-life mechanic?