I have an idea for the community

Hello

As you know that Squad doesn't let you download old versions of ksp.

I think we should get permission from squad to host the old versions (0.14-0.20) on a 3rd party website eg. spacedock

Squad, can we have permission to redistribute redundant versions of ksp.:)

Edited by 2204happy

35 minutes ago, 2204happy said:

Hello

As you know that Squad doesn't let you download old versions of ksp.

I think we should get permission from squad to host the old versions on a 3rd party website eg. spacedock

Squad, can we have permission to redistribute redundant versions of ksp.:)

Kinda weird that you say they don't let you download old versionsbecause of this 

if you are talking about all of the versions that you had to pay for, there is no way squad would just let you host them on space dock.. then any joe shmo could just go play them for free. Squad is still a business, and that just wouldn't be a smart business move for them. They make money by forcing people to buy the latest version. If they allowed people to download old versions for free, they would ultimately be hurting their bottom line because there would be quite a few people that wouldn't care about having the latest version and stick with 1.0.4 or something or whatever.

so I wouldn't expect squad to allow this.

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Kinda weird that you say they don't let you download old versionsbecause of this 

if you are talking about all of the versions that you had to pay for, there is no way squad would just let you host them on space dock.. then any joe shmo could just go play them for free. Squad is still a business and that just wouldn't be a smart business move for them. They make money by forcing people to buy the latest version. If they allowed people to download old versions for free, they would ultimately be hurting their bottom line because there would be quite a few people that wouldn't care about having the latest version and stick with 1.0.4 or something.

so I wouldn't expect squad to allow this.

1.I only mean versions 0.14 to about 0.20 which are really outdated so nobody would just download them to get the game for free.

2.sales will not drop because anyone who would think of doing what you said would just pirate the game anyway

3. It will act as a PR boost, this is very important because they need people to be happy enough to buy any future dlc.

Edited by 2204happy

Better idea is to allow Steam and non-steam game owners to download any game version for any platform they already bought. But it can bring legal and technical problems to Squad without obvious benefit for them.

I'm guessing that squad wants to release DLC later down the track.

Either allowing previous versions to be downloaded or allowing them to be distributed will serve as a good PR boost and likely increase DLC sales.

Edit: Don't see how them realeasing old versions of ksp will bring them legal problems, I can understand technical problems

Edited by 2204happy

1 hour ago, 2204happy said:

I hope that squad gives us permision

You'll still be hoping years down the line then, because this is the wrong place for such a thing. This is a community forum. The people here are players of the game. You'll certainly not find Squad's company executives coming here to make business decisions :P You might as well go to a bar for a few drinks, then shout "I sure hope the president of my country implements my idea for a new tax system!" into the room, and expect something to happen.

If you want an actual, official answer to your idea, then you'll have to go to Squad directly, instead of expecting them to come to you. Find Squad's website - it's squad.com.mx - and look for contact information. Right now, they have an address, a phone number, and an email on display. Pick your favorite method of contact, and pop them the question. You can then report back here if/when you get a reply. :wink:

Like the idea of Squad offering the ability to download older versions of the game if you have bought the game itself.  I'm not sure what this would entail legally, nobody seems to actually mention when this idea is brought up.  But plenty of other games do this, Hearts of Iron 4, Minecraft, etc.  The older KSP versions were very interesting, and would be cool to play again.  It'd probably be pretty simple to implement this through Steam I'm sure, given that Steam is practically setup for things like this. 

I doubt that they'll actually do this though.  Squad has never come off as the kind of company to do things simply for the fun of it. 

4 minutes ago, RandomUser said:

Like the idea of Squad offering the ability to download older versions of the game if you have bought the game itself.  I'm not sure what this would entail legally, nobody seems to actually mention when this idea is brought up.  But plenty of other games do this, Hearts of Iron 4, Minecraft, etc.  The older KSP versions were very interesting, and would be cool to play again.  It'd probably be pretty simple to implement this through Steam I'm sure, given that Steam is practically setup for things like this. 

I doubt that they'll actually do this though.  Squad has never come off as the kind of company to do things simply for the fun of it. 

There shouldn't be any legal issues because squad is the copyright holder of ksp and therefore can do whatever they want with them. In other words how is squad distributing older versions of their own game in any way illegal.

42 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

You'll still be hoping years down the line then, because this is the wrong place for such a thing. This is a community forum. The people here are players of the game. You'll certainly not find Squad's company executives coming here to make business decisions :P You might as well go to a bar for a few drinks, then shout "I sure hope the president of my country implements my idea for a new tax system!" into the room, and expect something to happen.

If you want an actual, official answer to your idea, then you'll have to go to Squad directly, instead of expecting them to come to you. Find Squad's website - it's squad.com.mx - and look for contact information. Right now, they have an address, a phone number, and an email on display. Pick your favorite method of contact, and pop them the question. You can then report back here if/when you get a reply. :wink:

Sorry this was the wrong place. 

3 minutes ago, 2204happy said:

There shouldn't be any legal issues because squad is the copyright holder of ksp and therefore can do whatever they want with them. In other words how is squad distributing older versions of their own game in any way illegal.

My point exactly.  However when people say there may be legal issues, I'd imagine it'd be because of the way the game was developed earlier on, potentially having assets from other people, this somehow violating the contract.  I'm not sure.  But if Squad comes and says there are legal issues, then there simply are.  At the moment, we don't know though. 

Edited by RandomUser

1 minute ago, RandomUser said:

My point exactly.  However when people say there may be legal issues, I'd imagine it'd be because of the way the game was developed earlier on, potentially having assets from other people, this somehow violating the contract.  I'm not sure.  But if Squad comes and says there is legal issues, then there simply is.  At the moment, we don't know though. 

I see what you mean, however squad has not said anything about the matter and it would help if they explained why they couldn't/don't want to.

When I lurked the forums i've seen plenty of people request that they make old versions available going years back

Note: old versions of KSP are a really poor way of getting people into the game. They had a lot of awful bugs that were fixed since.

They may be interesting for seasoned players, who want to try "how it was back then" but for new players, an updated demo would be far better - the old KSP might be even detrimental to the sales due to these bugs and giving newcomers a skewed image of the state of the game.

So, personally, I absolutely wouldn't mind if the old versions were paywalled, e.g. as "free download for current KSP owners".

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Well, you're right about it being the wrong place, but we do have an official "Suggestions" section of the forum, and Squad employees do look there from time to time. For that reason, I moved this thread to Suggestions :).

If you want to make a case for this it has to be a business case, not just "it'd be neat to have". What benefit is there to having old versions in circulation, when:

• They are not representative of the game's current state, and may reflect poorly on the game
  • They will cause people to report bugs and issues that are long since fixed
  • They will cause modders headaches as people look for mod versions compatible with older KSP versions, and related bug reports thereof
  • Some people would choose to keep playing the newest old free version rather than buying the game to get the latest, negatively affecting sales

I have old versions of KSP, they basically never get played. Maybe once in a blue moon for nostalgia or to see how far the game has come, and for that the old free versions already available are sufficient.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

If you want to make a case for this it has to be a business case, not just "it'd be neat to have". What benefit is there to having old versions in circulation, when:

• They are not representative of the game's current state, and may reflect poorly on the game
  • They will cause modders headaches as people look for mod versions compatible with older KSP versions, and related bug reports thereof
  • Some people would choose to keep playing the newest old free version rather than buying the game to get the latest, negatively affecting sales

I have old versions of KSP, they basically never get played. Maybe once in a blue moon for nostalgia or to see how far the game has come, and for that the old free versions already available are sufficient.

Yes to the points listed.

I also still have old versions.  If 1.3 fixes a few minor bugs that still irk me, I'll find it hard to justify keeping them.

4 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

These would make sense, however I cite my previous points.  This generally works just fine for other games, Minecraft being a great example.  In Minecraft, it is possible to go with any other game version.  That is with Minecraft to, which has in general has a community much younger than KSP, which would in theory make these points much more a possibility.  Yet these issues have proven themselves effectively non-existent.  So I simply would beg to differ.  

17 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

1.That will be like saying windows is bad because windows me is bad

2.If you include a disclaimer with the download saying not to report any bugs IN BIG BOLD LETTERS this will stop most of the bug reports being submited

3. Squad could make a rule similar to how its banned to constantly ask for mod updates.

4. The newest demo is almost in every way better than the oldest paid versions

6 hours ago, 2204happy said:

1.That will be like saying windows is bad because windows me is bad

Excellent example! How do you think someone would perceive Windows if Windows Me was their first experience with it in 2017?

2.If you include a disclaimer with the download saying not to report any bugs IN BIG BOLD LETTERS this will stop most of the bug reports being submited

Such things never work as well as one hopes, in my experience. 

3. Squad could make a rule similar to how its banned to constantly ask for mod updates.

A rule which has not been particularly effective, if I am completely honest. We still get update requests for mods, we'd still get requests for old versions of mods.

4. The newest demo is almost in every way better than the oldest paid versions

I don't agree, but even if I did...what is the point in having the old ones available then? 

As I said in my first post in this thread: You need to make a business case for why this is a good idea. What is the benefit, either for Squad or KSP players?

13 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Excellent example! How do you think someone would perceive Windows if Windows Me was their first experience with it in 2017?

Why would anyone base their experience of an old version of something.

Such things never work as well as one hopes, in my experience. 

A rule which has not been particularly effective, if I am completely honest. We still get update requests for mods, we'd still get requests for old versions of mods.

I don't agree, but even if I did...what is the point in having the old ones available then? 

Agreed

As I said in my first post in this thread: You need to make a business case for why this is a good idea. What is the benefit, either for Squad or KSP players?

Not sure about this, but most people want the old versions to be made available and in theory it could increase PR and therefore increase sales of potential DLC later down the track. 

Edit: Maybe once the free versions have finished and they move on to DLC they might be planning on putting the old versions up on the downloads page to best make use of a PR boost. My bet is they maybe planning to put the old releases on the downloads page on the same day that they release their first DLC.

Edited by 2204happy

On 1/25/2017 at 9:49 PM, 2204happy said:

most people want the old versions to be made available

Do they, though? I don't really see any evidence of anything but a tiny majority wanting more than the previous one available (which is already done). There's just not a lot of utility in older versions.

10 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Do they, though? I don't really see any evidence of anything but a tiny majority wanting more than the previous one available (which is already done). There's just not a lot of utility in older versions.

Ok, I think a good idea would be to add a poll, however I don't know how to. Could someone tell me were the button is.

1 hour ago, 2204happy said:

Ok, I think a good idea would be to add a poll, however I don't know how to. Could someone tell me were the button is.

Has to be done in a new thread. Forum polls are not overly representative, though, I don't consider them useful for anything but forum issues.

On 1/25/2017 at 5:19 PM, 2204happy said:

-snip-

Edit: Maybe once the free versions have finished and they move on to DLC they might be planning on putting the old versions up on the downloads page to best make use of a PR boost. My bet is they maybe planning to put the old releases on the downloads page on the same day that they release their first DLC.

Did I miss something?  I didn't think they were planning on doing DLC for KSP.  Wouldn't make much sense with the impressive amount of mods available for free...

Also, I've got a few old versions because I saved them to a separate folder before updating the main install.  No I can't give you them (obviously), but one can do the same from here on out.  When you have KSP working just how you want it, with the mods just how you want them, then take the whole KSP folder and copy it to a safe location.  This will preserve it in that state indefinitely (assuming you remember it's there).

On 27/01/2017 at 10:53 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

I was more saying to add a poll as an estimate to see how many people want it.

22 hours ago, Slam_Jones said:

Did I miss something?  I didn't think they were planning on doing DLC for KSP.  Wouldn't make much sense with the impressive amount of mods available for free...

Not sure that KSP will make DLC, just guessing:).

22 hours ago, Slam_Jones said:

Also, I've got a few old versions because I saved them to a separate folder before updating the main install.

I do to! I've kept all of the versions that I got in its original .zip since 0.21 when i started playing.

24 minutes ago, 2204happy said:

I was more saying to add a poll as an estimate to see how many people want it.

Speaking from first-hand experience, serious polls on the forum are basically little more than an opportunity to bring out the worst in people, and to attract a lot of unwarranted anger.

@Red Iron Crown I had Win Me back in the day and I thought it was so absolutely ok that I resented upgrading to XP, and then resented upgrading to 7. I categorically refuse to upgrade to 8 or 10. Windows development only seems to go outwards, not upwards.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.