RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, SpaceFace545 said:

How is rocket labs reuse going?

They splashed on booster down as I recall.

They have not yet tried the catch with a helicopter yet, that's gotta be coming soon.

1 minute ago, tater said:

They splashed on booster down as I recall.

They have not yet tried the catch with a helicopter yet, that's gotta be coming soon.

That will be exciting, I wonder if that could ever be scaled up for neutron. You’d need a much bigger Paragould and helicopter.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:52 AM, SpaceFace545 said:

I just meant it would be cool. Their were plans to catch a Saturn I first stage in a similar manner.

Given that they otherwise really put in Commercial-Off-The-Shelf into play (like actually using gaming headsets and putting in GoPros) I think having to build a specialized helicopter just for recovery would be too far a step for them.

48 minutes ago, YNM said:

Given that they otherwise really put in Commercial-Off-The-Shelf into play (like actually using gaming headsets and putting in GoPros) I think having to build a specialized helicopter just for recovery would be too far a step for them.

Dunno, I bet the russians would be more than willing to sell a heavy lift helicopter to them.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:35 AM, SpaceFace545 said:

Dunno, I bet the russians would be more than willing to sell a heavy lift helicopter to them.

And the maintenance, 30 years from now and in the intervening years ?

COTS isn't about "oh it's available". COTS means "alright everyone else is using this widespread for other stuff too, we'll just use it for ours".

On 5/11/2021 at 9:13 AM, tater said:

They already have a helo:

Which wouldn't be strong enough to lift Neutron because no helos that fits the bill would even be remotely COTS IMO.

Maybe a nation that wants to awe the world would, but not private companies that works based on their financial position (and honestly I'm not seeing Peter Beck throwing out 'side' incomes to Rocket Lab, they really are taking people's money and trying to turn a profit on it).

Edited by YNM

3 minutes ago, YNM said:

Which wouldn't be strong enough to lift Neutron because no helos that fits the bill would even be remotely COTS IMO.

Neutron is landing propulsively, so no helicopter enters the discussion.

1 minute ago, tater said:

Neutron is landing propulsively, so no helicopter enters the discussion.

Nah I was trying to tie @SpaceFace545's suggestion. There's not a point in landing such a massive stage passively when the tech to land them propulsively autonomously is here.

15 minutes ago, YNM said:

Nah I was trying to tie @SpaceFace545's suggestion. There's not a point in landing such a massive stage passively when the tech to land them propulsively autonomously is here.

It's flat out too big for a catch. Electron is about the limit.

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

Hold, they're evidently working some kind of issue.

High altitude wind was just mentioned as reason for delay, so might be a scrub, although they still hope for conditions to get better