Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

20 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I got rid of sodas COLD TURKEY. Oh, and the withdrawal symptoms were horrendous, In addition to the pot of coffee and all-day iced tea drinking, to lose about 1/3 of your daily caffeine intake was bad. But was I content? No...

While I was in the process of dumping sodas out of my diet, I have now greatly reduced my coffee intake... No more pot-a-day, but now I limit myself to ONE cup. One 12oz American sized regular cup of coffee a day. Oh, and wait, there's more... I only have one of iced tea, and that's in an insulated plastic tumbler. So, in the afternoons - after 2:00 p.m., all I drink is water...

I find this hard to believe... You maged to completely cut off a coffee- pot- a- day coffee habit in the two weeks since you last complained about your coffee pot running out? Impressive.

11 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I find this hard to believe... You maged to completely cut off a coffee- pot- a- day coffee habit in the two weeks since you last complained about your coffee pot running out? Impressive.

Let me tell you this... as we say in the southern United States, "It ain't been easy..."

The first two days was sheer hell. The withdrawal symptoms were extremely bad. The breakthrough came on Tuesday of this week. One cup and I was good to go. Once I did that, it was on to sodas next. I still drink a boatload of iced tea, and I will be cutting down on that next. But one step at a time.

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Let me tell you this... as we say in the southern United States, "It ain't been easy..."

The first two days was sheer hell. The withdrawal symptoms were extremely bad. The breakthrough came on Tuesday of this week. One cup and I was good to go. Once I did that, it was on to sodas next. I still drink a boatload of iced tea, and I will be cutting down on that next. But one step at a time.

I feel like i've heard that 'it ain't easy' before... I might be from the region you mentioned :P

This is why I don't coffee, but when I don't have soda in two days (give or take) I get splitting headaches... I don't think the withdrawal is worth it for me.

Y'all are talking about coffee and soda and withdrawal and all that and I'm just here sipping my vegan soy milk chocolate...drink...thing.

Slurrrp

Anyways, my complaint for today (or rather, the past week) is that everyone keeps giving me strange looks for wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts. According to them, it's cold, but it's actually ranging from 10 to 15 degrees Celsius. Which is warm for me. And somehow, they literally cannot comprehend that I'm not cold.

They have clearly never met a Canadian before, though you'd think they'd be similar, being Finnish and all.... :huh: 

23 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Y'all are talking about coffee and soda and withdrawal and all that and I'm just here sipping my vegan soy milk chocolate...drink...thing.

Slurrrp

Anyways, my complaint for today (or rather, the past week) is that everyone keeps giving me strange looks for wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts. According to them, it's cold, but it's actually ranging from 10 to 15 degrees Celsius. Which is warm for me. And somehow, they literally cannot comprehend that I'm not cold.

They have clearly never met a Canadian before, though you'd think they'd be similar, being Finnish and all.... :huh: 

Yeah, since all y'all Canadians are riding around on your polar bears to work in an igloo all day, then spend your lunch break at Tim Hortons. Makes sense you aren't cold.

I love Canadian stereotypes.

2 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Yeah, since all y'all Canadians are riding around on your polar bears to work in an igloo all day, then spend your lunch break at Tim Hortons. Makes sense you aren't cold.

You forgot the part where they go "Sorry eh" in the line since they didn't have their change counted out before hand and smelt of maple syrup and not pine needles.

Almost lost a pin today that I liked. I didn't though! so thats nice.

7 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

You must be a Winterpegger. Here in Lotusland, while I wouldn’t call that cold, I also wouldn’t call it warm...

My complaint is that I went to walk-in clinic because I seem to have a sinus infection. Yeah, it looked busy, but I figured a 50-90 minute wait. 2.5 hours later there’s still 2 more people in front of me :angry:

Edited by StrandedonEarth
yup, definite;y wrong emoji

23 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

You must be a Winterpegger. Here in Lotusland, while I wouldn’t call that cold, I also wouldn’t call it warm...

My complaint is that I went to walk-in clinic because I seem to have a sinus infection. Yeah, it looked busy, but I figured a 50-90 minute wait. 2.5 hours later there’s still 2 more people in front of me :wub:

I feel like you clicked the wrong emoji...

Unless you're in love with waiting?

6 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Well, hate to break it to you but we live in houses now. The snow was melting into our big screen TV's and computers.
The Polar Bears are now protected and can't be used for beasts of burden, so we drive cars and trucks.

But we do spend lunch hours at Timmys.

:P:D

7 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Slurrrp

10 to 15 to me isn't quite shorts weather, but I can get away with a long sleeve shirt and no jacket. That isn't bad.

30 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

My complaint is that I went to walk-in clinic because I seem to have a sinus infection. Yeah, it looked busy, but I figured a 50-90 minute wait. 2.5 hours later there’s still 2 more people in front of me 

Probably waiting to see if you are indeed sick or something else.
Claim chest pain as well. They'll get you in lickety split.

On 4/27/2018 at 1:25 PM, Earthlinger said:

According to them, it's cold, but it's actually ranging from 10 to 15 degrees Celsius. Which is warm for me. And somehow, they literally cannot comprehend that I'm not cold.

I can't.

"Neutral" is 20-22 deg C. "Warm" is 22-26 deg C. "A bit hot" goes up to 30 deg C.

Anything below that is cold. Below 15 deg C is [very] cold.

Edited by Vanamonde

24 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I feel like you clicked the wrong emoji...

Unless you're in love with waiting?

Yup, wrong emoji, couldn't see it clearly on my phone. And my eyes were blurry from the sinus pressure. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Although the doctor was hot. If only she was taking new patients.... (don't tell my wife that)

I wanted to build a second PC this year. I love my old Hackintosh build. it certainly is cool, with it's 1939 Philco radio cabinet PC case, nixie tube clock, and all that fun stuff, but I built it in 2013! While it is very capable still, it is getting old. I've already had the motherboard fail, requiring major repair. Additionally, my workshop is still without a proper PC (and no, a Twentieth Anniversary Mac that functions as a glorified iPod doesn't count). This leads into my complaint...

My plan for this year was to take my income tax refund and buy a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and throw my Hackintosh SSD and my 980ti onto that, to make it my new Hackintosh, and then take my old motherboard, CPU, and RAM, with the Windows 10 SSD and build up a smaller PC case to put into my workshop as a second computer, focused on technical usage. Later on (maybe with next year's tax refund), I'd buy a new Radeon Vega or Navi... Whatever comes out from Team Red that impresses me next year, and move the 980ti into the PC, cause Nvidia drivers are kinda meh on Macs, but have pretty great support on PCs.

So what happens this year???

Meltdown :huh:
Spectre :o
Intel admits to it's shareholders that it's 10 nanometer process is "broken"  (their words) Ouch. :0.0:
Intel states that they will be delaying releasing 10 nm chips till at least next year, and making their next CPU generation on the old 14 nm process. :(

I'd just buy a Ryzen chip and go all AMD (and save some cash even), but it's harder to get a good stable Hackintosh build going on AMD hardware, since Apple strictly uses Intel hardware, and I wanna upgrade the MAIN computer, not the secondary, and my MAIN is my Hackintosh.

Long story short... I can't look at the current situation and even try to begin to justify buying parts to a new long term build right now. I want to wait for a significant tech improvement that will last me another 5 years. I wanna wait for the major hardware flaws to be corrected. I just feel like now is a VERY BAD time to want to build a new Intel based system, and that's exactly what I want to build! :/

Just yesterday, I think I witnessed an old friend have some manner of emotional breakdown that left her walking out of a good job of seven years. She had been working with a close friend for at least the past two decades, maybe more. They worked at the same electric motor manufacturing job since before I worked there, and I was there for nine years (2000-2009). After we were bought out and closed down, they both applied to the lab where I work. They'd been there two years already by the time I started there.

Anyway, the other of the two old work friends retired about two weeks ago, due to health issues. The person they put in her former position has been with the company for around a year already, and he has worked numerous times with my this old friend of mine. There were never any problems... Till he replaced her old friend.

In the past week, there were enough complaints that HR got involved, and all suspicion went toward the dude who had just started the new role. He was brought in to the office, pretty much reprimanded, and told he needed to change his attitude... and the complaints kept up. The difference, is they observed, and realized that it was 100% HER! She was refusing to show him how to do things, as he was trying to train in, then would complain about how he wouldn't do stuff, or did things wrong, or didn't "care". HR saw that things were not as they seemed, and things escalated for her when they confronted them both together, and he complained about her not giving him a chance to even try to learn the position. When HR sided with him, and told her that she was in the wrong, that she was being unfair, and that she needed to treat him fairly and actually train him into the position, she apparently flipped. From what I heard about the incident, people who saw it go down said she seemed to claim that everyone had ganged up on her and she felt threatened. To be fair, I saw the crowd from a distance. HR, the department supervisors, their assistants... Half of the management from that side of the building ended up in an area only as big as three counters and a sink. In her state, I can kinda understand her feeling cornered. She gave an ultimatum, that he had to go, or she would... and they told her that if she walked out the door, to leave her key fob behind.

She did.

It was so abrupt, I never had a chance to talk to her, ask her if she was okay, or even say goodbye.

I get that a major life change had just occurred for her. NO ONE saw this coming. She probably spent at LEAST 1/3 to 1/2 of her life working, literally side by side, with the same friend... And that was over. Knowing that her friend had medical issues (not life threatening, but quality of life issues), and had to give up working over it must have been incredibly stressful. She'd been there seven years, and was a very good worker, and most people there know each other. It's not a massive company. So, I guess my complaint... Dang it HR, dang it management... I get that she was in the wrong here, but it was also clearly an emotional breakdown, and instead of talking her down, they ESCALATED the situation to the point where in her fragile mental state, she felt threatened and walked! I'm sorry, but anyone with half a lick of common *Check yo' Stagin'* sense should have seen that the situation was handled exactly in the opposite direction that it needed to... She was clearly in the most fragile state she's been in for at least a decade... A therapist or even just a friend to talk to and explain what she was going through would have done far better than what happened. The entire incident was handled from the get go in a confrontational manner.

I'm just really disappointed with this company (what's new). :huh: 
Between this debacle, and them actively taking advantage of my :targetretro:insurance/part time situation to get full time hours from me without offering any full time benefits, I'm pretty disgusted with them. I feel like the management genuinely either don't care, or are all too happy to take advantage of their employees whenever opportunity arises... At least it FEELS that way.

:targetretro: I got into a great insurance program through the state, that I can actually afford, and actually has decent coverage. unfortunately, I only qualify for it cause I don't currently have employer provided insurance... This is why I remained a part time employee, even though the paycheck before my latest one had 90 hours on it for two weeks. I'd no longer qualify if I had the option of getting insurance through my employer, and going full time would effectively disqualify me from the insurance I'm on now. My employer's insurance is ABYSMALLY BAD! I'm talking 4x the premium for TWO ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE higher deductible (97x higher)! My employer's response has been to cut back a job that historically had three employees, and sometimes four, down to two, and leave me working full time days, without any of the benefits of full time... But mah insurance... Honestly, the ONLY thing that keeps me there, is the fact that it's the most stable, rock solid job I've ever encountered in my life... It's an employer that would take a natural disaster, total economic collapse, or warfare to fail. Only a local competitor could put it under conventionally, and that would leave... A replacement local job with equal stability... The job is effectively region locked. And yes, I value job stability and my insurance enough to stick with it.

Edited by richfiles

I love when a 20 minute, TWO bolt trackbar replacement job becomes a two day spanning, 6 bolt (one of which involved jacking up the vehicle to get to), angle grinder involving frustrating swearfest, all because of a little bit of rust.

Right now I've got what's left of the ball joint in a C-clamp press soaking in the last remnants of a can of PB waiting to hear the pop.

Not sure I want to put these back in...

islm1Q.jpg

4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Not sure I want to put these back in...

I’m going to assume that’s heavy sarcasm, because I’d be taking those straight to the auto parts store to find replacements. 

My project for this afternoon is to rotate the tires on my Yaris front to back, because when I put my summer tires back on, I started getting an intermittent vibration on the highway that a rebalance didn’t fix. So now I see if rotating helps, and if it does, I will never stack my tires to store them again. If not, then it’s off to get the front end checked out, since apparently something coincidentally wore out. Or my daughter may have hit a curb or pothole, again coincidentally. 

Then I need to rotate the tires on our Caravan, cuz wow does it wear down the front shoulders fast. Or it got banged into a serious toe-in condition. It’s only a 2014 with 23,000 km on it, but mostly city (and my wife probably corners hard). And it’s a tight downhill U-turn into our townhouse garage.  I’ll probably have to get the tires remounted inside out in another year or two

Edited by StrandedonEarth

9 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I’m going to assume that’s heavy sarcasm, because I’d be taking those straight to the auto parts store to find replacements. 

My project for this afternoon is to rotate the tires on my Yaris front to back, because when I put my summer tires back on, I started getting an intermittent vibration on the highway that a rebalance didn’t fix. So now I see if rotating helps, and if it does, I will never stack my tires to store them again. If not, then it’s off to get the front end checked out, since apparently something coincidentally wore out. Or my daughter may have hit a curb or pothole, again coincidentally. 

Then I need to rotate the tires on our Caravan, cuz wow does it wear down the front shoulders fast. Or it got banged into a serious toe-in condition. It’s only a 2014 with 23,000 km on it, but mostly city (and my wife probably corners hard). And it’s a tight downhill U-turn into our townhouse garage.  I’ll probably have to get the tires remounted inside out in another year or two

Ugh. Discount Tire, $75 to mount the tires I bought online, and it included free rotation and balance every 5,000 miles for the life of the tires. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

On 5/1/2018 at 7:20 PM, richfiles said:

I wanted to build a second PC this year. I love my old Hackintosh build. it certainly is cool, with it's 1939 Philco radio cabinet PC case, nixie tube clock, and all that fun stuff {snip}

A: Where did you get the Nixie Tubes

2: Where did you get the 1939 Philco Radio Cabinet

D: Is it for sale and if not are there any circumstances where you would be willing to sell it?

That sounds like the coolest gosh darned Hackintosh of all time. I've been thinking of a Nixie Tube machine, with four different displays for CPU temp, GPU temp, Framerate, and Fan RPM.

I might replace the fan RPM with cooling liquid temp if I decide to go with liquid cooling. I just wish I had the money to make one.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

2: Where did you get the 1939 Philco Radio Cabinet

Probably the same as what I saw, a PC case designed to look like a vintage radio cabinet. Maybe I should have bought it, but it's not like I can afford to build a new PC at this time, if ever... Google is not helping me on this, it's just custom builds coming up on the first page. Old cabinets are on eBay....

Im having powerline adaptor problems again. This time one of my adaptors is not working anymore, no flashing lights, absolutely nothing is working. I think the problem im having is overheating, how long do these things take to cool down? I have been waiting for an hour right now and its still not working.

51 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Im having powerline adaptor problems again. This time one of my adaptors is not working anymore, no flashing lights, absolutely nothing is working. I think the problem im having is overheating, how long do these things take to cool down? I have been waiting for an hour right now and its still not working.

I don't know? Shouldn't take more than an hour. Are you sure its not an issue with the power connection to the adapter or with the outlet or something else similar?

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I don't know? Shouldn't take more than an hour. Are you sure its not an issue with the power connection to the adapter or with the outlet or something else similar?

I tried diferent power outlets and it still is not working, im pretty sure the problem is in the adapter.