[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

-snip, seems I was wrong-

Wait... WAIT.

IS THAT A PICTURE OF DOCKING?!

"We've recieved the final image from our lone Kerbonaut, but it seems like it didn't come through very well..."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30772[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30773[/ATTACH]

Im defiantly sure that its some odd spaceship in orbit of a planet..

Here are my evidence.. :P

Forgotten to add some Blur but u get the picture..

Don't forget that docking will require a lot more than just attaching a few craft together in orbit, it'll need to play nice with persistence and it'll need to allow the transfer of resources, neither of which are trivial matters.

Docking is not listed for 0.17, so it's safe to assume it will not be ready as Squad are working on other parts.

Docking will be incredibly difficult to implement. As a developer I have at least some idea... To be honest I would not implement it at all, just add a method of transfering fuel to nearby craft.

Also to those suggesting docking, have you tried it? How about with large vessels...

As this thread is supposed to be for discussing 0.17 and it's planned features, I am going to have to ask you all to refrain from mentioning the "D" word here, but if you'd like to open an Off-Topic thread for speculative 0.17 features then by all means do so.

Difficult to implement or not is not what will make the devs run away from docking, plus it has already been worked on. I think it will come in due time somewhere not too far in the future (when staging is completely rebuilt).

For the time being, we have some pretty planets to look at (from afar), and will probably soon have a glimpse of those interior views C7 is working on. And we can also talk about those parts Nova is working on: new, large-sized (A)SAS and RCS tanks/thrusters being the most important right now.

"We've recieved the final image from our lone Kerbonaut, but it seems like it didn't come through very well..."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30772[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30773[/ATTACH]

Im defiantly sure that its some odd spaceship in orbit of a planet..

Here are my evidence.. :P

Forgotten to add some Blur but u get the picture..

Hmm. I'm a bit skeptical of those side-mounted fuel tanks, seems to me they wouldn't serve a practical purpose aboard such a vessel. I'd love to believe that it's some new sort of habitation module, but even then it's placed in an extremely odd position on the ship.

That image also seems to neglect the crescent in the left background, which i'd bet is a planet or moon. Maybe some sort of landing assistance computer?

Try looking at it from afar, that might help.

Aha! Does anybody else see the connecting end of the long extending ladder? Look at what-the's retouched image.

Edited by Candre
Update!

> "Omega, what you're depicting in the third diagram is completely impossible."

Actually, Wikipedia says no. Although i highly doubt it would be possible with much more massive bodies.

3UOwC.gif

(The impossible thing in the diagram being a circular orbit with different Ap end Pe)

Wikipedia doesn't say no, because Cruithne is not in a circular orbit, it's perfectly normal elliptical orbit.