SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

T-1 minute. Falcon 9 is in startup.

Pressed for flight.

Ignition!

Liftoff!

Already pitching downrange!

Falcon 9 is supersonic.

Really clear shots around the engine area. The white legs and dark first stage is nice contrast. Surprising to see how much apparent flame there is around the outside of the octaweb.

Good MECO.

Sep!

MVac ignition!

Beautiful, beautiful shots of the receding booster lit by the morning sun and the impingement plume from the MVac.

We are doing a one-engine boostback burn today...has that ever happened before?

Fairing separation. 

"We will be attempting a recovery of one of the fairings today on our fairing recovery ship, Mr. Steven...as part of our experimental programs for reuse."

This is the fifth launch for Iridium and they have used only 3 rockets to do it.

3 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Why would NOAA put restrictions on the livestream? What does this have to do with the weather? Could someone explain?

Googling the name of this payload turns up at least one article containing the words "government shutdown." Maybe one of NOAA's regulatory sign-offs just didn't go through in time.

(For any Europeans, Africans, or Asians reading those words in confusion, this is a tradition in the USA where the dysfunction of the federal state becomes so severe that non-essential programs are shut down temporarily. That's not an informal concept; there's a classification system for what is and is not essential so federal employees know whether to go in to work on any given day.)

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Googling the name of this payload turns up at least one article containing the words "government shutdown." Maybe one of NOAA's regulatory sign-offs just didn't go through in time.

(For any Europeans, Africans, or Asians reading those words in confusion, this is a tradition in the USA where the dysfunction of the federal state becomes so severe that non-essential programs are shut down temporarily. That's not an informal concept; there's a classification system for what is and is not essential so federal employees know whether to go in to work on any given day.)

That was from January, they passed a real budget, and it was signed.

So it has nothing to do with shutdown at all.

5 minutes ago, klesh said:

Pretty cool. Polar orbit means theyre probably flying right-ish over Boston at present.   Cloudy daytime is no fun.  

Nah, they fly south, and they flew out of Vandy anyway. So...probably over Chile? My South American geography is crap.

EDIT: Of course not. Chile shares longitude with Maine. What was I thinking? They will be over open ocean until they hit Antarctica.

Edited by sevenperforce

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Nah, they fly south, and they flew out of Vandy anyway. So...probably over Chile? My South American geography is crap.

Ahhh, right on.  I only casually watch these, so I didnt know.  

Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today.