SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

That's honestly not that bad. Even though it looks slow they are saving a lot of time doing it this way. And it's pretty amazing how the rocket retracts on its own. I reckon it takes 2-5 hours to retract them. Then the stage is ready for transport and integration of S2 (given that there's no need to inspect it).

Yeah, now I'm confident they can make it fly twice a day. Seems very much possible.

BTW wasn't that RoombaX holding it on the barge?

21 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

That's honestly not that bad. Even though it looks slow they are saving a lot of time doing it this way. And it's pretty amazing how the rocket retracts on its own. I reckon it takes 2-5 hours to retract them. Then the stage is ready for transport and integration of S2 (given that there's no need to inspect it).

Yeah, now I'm confident they can make it fly twice a day. Seems very much possible.

BTW wasn't that RoombaX holding it on the barge?

They could also redesign the top to lift all four legs at once, at least until the last part as they probably want to confirm lock-down on each legs it would also give just one operation to fasten the cables and remove them. 

2 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

This is pretty usefull if you want to spam with a communication low-ping gaming satellites.

Edited by NSEP

2 hours ago, tater said:

F9-B1048-Merlin-1Ds-Pauline-Acalin-1c-10

Interesting engine details, like the bumpers they seem to have (presumably related to gimbaling).

Don'r see their purpose for gimballing. unless its to insure the nozzles don't get to close together.
That might be bad because of heat radiation from one would heat the other I think

23 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Don'r see their purpose for gimballing. unless its to insure the nozzles don't get to close together.
That might be bad because of heat radiation from one would heat the other I think

That's my assumption, hence my use of "bumper" to describe them. They're specifically on sides facing other engine bells, not radially in or out where they'd get in the way less.

The rivet looking thing is apparently the bleed for RP-1 used to regeratively cool the engines (opened after landing).

On 7/28/2018 at 5:34 PM, sevenperforce said:

The kerolox MVac doesn't have nearly the kind of excellent Isp as, say, a Centaur's RL-10, but the MVac is sitting on a Falcon Family upper stage, which has a mass ratio that makes Centaur look like an Estes. Thus Falcon Heavy's ability to throw 5 New Horizons at Pluto, without needing gravity assists.

The trouble is that the only stuff which goes into deep space is science payloads, and those have ridiculously long dev spans.

To add some perspective, I estimate the F9 upper stage to have 1.7X the dV of a Centaur for the same payload. Falcon 9 and Atlas V fly very different flight profiles though.