SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I doubt it exists yet, in anything approaching a finished state. I’m expecting The flight article for the unmanned test to be a pretty stripped down affair inside, and the crew test article probably isn’t nearly that complete yet. 

I would expect padding and also lot more equipment, they will also not fly with 7 seats so I assume bottom will be for storage. 

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

SPACE FOOD.

If you mean the sticks... I loved that as a kid. Think they still sell it at KSC gift shop (bought some a couple years ago at the National Atomic Museum here in ABQ).

For anyone else, the Quest peanut butter/chocolate protein bars takes a LOT like space food sticks. I always keep those around as emergency chow, and for hiking.

Edited by tater

18 minutes ago, tater said:

If you mean the sticks... I loved that as a kid. Think they still sell it at KSC gift shop (bought some a couple years ago at the National Atomic Museum here in ABQ).

For anyone else, the Quest peanut butter/chocolate protein bars takes a LOT like space food sticks. I always keep those around as emergency chow, and for hiking.

I know the space ice-cream isnt real space food, but its tasty.

Huh, why arent they recovering the fairing?

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

I know the space ice-cream isnt real space food, but its tasty.

There was a brand sold in the 60s and 70s called "Space Food Sticks":

Ydz9c-1468504224-1001-blog-spacefoodstic

Huh, why arent they recovering the fairing?

Because tomorrow's launch is from KSC. Mr. Steven is out of Los Angeles. Once they figure out fairing catching, only then will they make more ships to do it. They don;t want to invest in ships on both coasts if the idea won't work with that type of ship.

1 minute ago, tater said:

There was a brand sold in the 60s and 70s called "Space Food Sticks":

Ydz9c-1468504224-1001-blog-spacefoodstic

Because tomorrow's launch is from KSC. Mr. Steven is out of Los Angeles. Once they figure out fairing catching, only then will they make more ships to do it. They don;t want to invest in ships on both coasts if the idea won't work with that type of ship.

Ah I see. Thanks

Anyway, the bfr wont be recovering the fairings. It stays with the ship.

Interesting that "NASA will be there" is a necessary detail, as if they've been so degraded that they might not have been invited. SLS is a money-suck but the probes are doing great, and NASA is undoubtedly the world's leading expert in duration spaceflight, landing on Mars, and the environment on Mars' surface, so I'd really like to see what input they have for the BFS life support, interior design, etc. and how their thoughts differ from SpaceX's.

Of course, "NASA will be there" could just be emphasis on how important this conference will be.

49 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Veeeeery interestink...

:o

I am very excited about this. With NASA's amazing expertise in human habitation in space, and their R&D in all aspects of Martian lifestyle, humanity will soon be able to accrue all the minds and hands we need into one big team to put people on Mars.

This is feeling a hundred times more real than I thought it would by this time.

1 hour ago, Confused Scientist said:

Interesting that "NASA will be there" is a necessary detail, as if they've been so degraded that they might not have been invited. SLS is a money-suck but the probes are doing great, and NASA is undoubtedly the world's leading expert in duration spaceflight, landing on Mars, and the environment on Mars' surface, so I'd really like to see what input they have for the BFS life support, interior design, etc. and how their thoughts differ from SpaceX's.

Of course, "NASA will be there" could just be emphasis on how important this conference will be.

"NASA" could literally mean a dude in a T-shirt or polo who's handing out bags full of stuff. 

I hope not though.

46 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

"NASA" could literally mean a dude in a T-shirt or polo who's handing out bags full of stuff. 

I hope not though.

"NASA" in this case means experts who are actively involved in robotic Mars exploration, and probably some of the people involved in creating tech for manned Mars missions.

This is the booster that launched Bangabandhu-1, right? For some reason I can't find any concrete mention of which booster this is anywhere.

EDIT: Live stream confirms, this is the booster that was used on Bangabandhu-1

Edited by IncongruousGoat

52 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

This is the booster that launched Bangabandhu-1, right? For some reason I can't find any concrete mention of which booster this is anywhere.

Yes, it’s Banga, they just mentioned it. 

Woohoo! Finally, a rocket launch when I’m home and mostly conscious! :D Big screen time!

Boooo! I overslept :( Still, watching the replay, i thought of something cool. I remember early discussions about how much landing legs, fins etc. would cut into Falcon's payload fraction. Their weight is not insignificant after all. And yet the rocket proved to be more capable than we all thought :) Block 5 can lift heaviest telecom sat ever launched to GTO and still land safely. No matter what you think of SpaceX - their engineers are on the ball.

43 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Boooo! I overslept :( Still, watching the replay, i thought of something cool. I remember early discussions about how much landing legs, fins etc. would cut into Falcon's payload fraction. Their weight is not insignificant after all. And yet the rocket proved to be more capable than we all thought :) Block 5 can lift heaviest telecom sat ever launched to GTO and still land safely. No matter what you think of SpaceX - their engineers are on the ball.

That is also thanks to the crazy reentry tests.