SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

50 minutes ago, tater said:

More full stack testing apparently.

Frost lines on both Superheavy tanks. No frost lines visible on Starship yet.

Have they already done a full stack cryo proof?

EDIT: This looks like either a partial cryo proof or an aborted full stack cryo proof, because the frost lines were larger about an hour ago:

2157092.jpg

They did a partial full stack prop load on Friday.

Edited by sevenperforce
update

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Airboat ride! 

Not if SpaceX is flying that day ;)

(depends on T=0 timing, looks like I need ~3hr to get to the Cape, then the same back, maybe I can do both, maybe they move the date)

Edited by tater

From this week's Arstechnica "Rocket Report"

SpaceX approaches ludicrous cadence. In the movie Space Balls, "ludicrous speed" is the velocity attained by a spaceship traveling much faster than the speed of light. That is the velocity of cadence SpaceX is now approaching with its Falcon family of rockets.

I think we need to petition SpaceX, Musk, Shotwell, and anyone else with some pull, that when (not if) they launch 100 rockets (F9, FH, SHSS, whatever) in a calendar year they need to paint the booster plaid. Or at least the second stage, or the fairing. But preferably the entire thing!

"Liftoff of Falcon 9 B1058.23 on SpaceX' 100th mission of the year! They've gone plaid!"

Edited by StrandedonEarth

25 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

From this week's Arstechnica "Rocket Report"

I think we need to petition SpaceX, Musk, Shotwell, and anyone else with some pull, that when (not if) they launch 100 rockets (F9, FH, SHSS, whatever) in a calendar year they need to paint the booster plaid. Or at least the second stage, or the fairing. But preferably the entire thing!

"Liftoff of Falcon 9 B1058.23 on SpaceX' 100th mission of the year! They've gone plaid!"

Unfortunately might mess with the thermals if it's on anything other than the fairing but cool idea!

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Unfortunately might mess with the thermals if it's on anything other than the fairing but cool idea!

darn things are already flying when black with soot, so I’m not sure that’d be a dealbreaker 

Edited by RyanRising

Just now, RyanRising said:

darn things are already flying when black with soot, so I’m not sure that’d be a dealbreaker 

Right fair. I was more thinking about the second stage which has to keep its propellants at a good temperature for longer. First stage has to fly again, likely many more times, and some customers may not favor a memey paint job, so I had kind of discounted it forgetting about the soot.

I don't know what the naval equivalent of a NOTAM is... but presuming SX is going to practice propulsive landing with the water-ditched Booster and SS - will they be able to have ships inside the perimeter to video the attempts?

I'm assuming they can get a waiver since they'll be requesting the exclusion of the air and sea-space... but what are the chances we'd get to see those attempts live or with a reasonable delay?

2 hours ago, Codraroll said:

If I'm not entirely mistaken, it's a NOTMAR. NOTAM is "Notice to airmen", NOTMAR is "Notice to mariners".

NOTAM used to be "notice to airmen", and I think it still is for ICAO. But for the US it is now "notice to air missions".

26 minutes ago, tater said:

Will they do an first stage 33 engine static burn? Or go directly for launch if all engines fires and is nominal? 
Think splashdown or try to catch first superheavy is also a bit up in the air. 
As they have an another first stage I suspect they splash.