SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Boostback complete; Raptor shutdown. 

The split screen view is amazing.

split-view.png

As expected, no entry burn for the booster. Should hit the atmosphere in a few seconds here.

We've got grid fin movement! Coming in super hot. Seems to be controlled so far.

Looks like the grid fins don't have enough control authority. I'm guessing Superheavy broke up from aero.

Back to the ship cam. Only a few missing tiles from launch.

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Looks like the grid fins don't have enough control authority. I'm guessing Superheavy broke up from aero.

I might be wrong, but I think that the graphics showed some engines shutting down? Maybe tthe gridfins just did not have enough control authority to handle the engine-outs?

Looks to be some sort of oscillation on SH, possibly propellant slosh plus aero stuff that the computer didn't know how to deal with. Having taken two intro controls classes, that stuff is daunting.

But ORBIT! Well... Not going into that debate, so NOMINAL SECO!

Just now, michal.don said:

I might be wrong, but I think that the graphics showed some engines shutting down? Maybe tthe gridfins just did not have enough control authority to handle the engine-outs?

The vehicle was yawing and rolling really hard well before landing engine burn startup. I'm thinking that the grid fins didn't have enough authority to keep the vehicle properly oriented, which meant there was too much propellant slosh to get the engines consistently lit.