SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Congratulations to SpaceX on successful ascent firings of both stages. However,  Angry Astronaut noted, it is likely the problem of the relight of the engines of the booster for landing was due to the hot staging method.

Another possibility is the Raptors has had continuing problems on relight during the Starship landing tests where one or more Raptors leaked fuel and caught fire. Even the landing test called successful, one of the Raptors still leaked fuel and caught fire. 

I just saw that SpaceX has decided not to try the engine relight test during the Starship return, which does support the idea there are still problems on relight of the Raptors. 

Bob Clark

Just now, Minmus Taster said:

Telemetry is gone

I think this is the end. Goodbye S28

Yeah, the telemetry freezing doesn't look good. But it's also possible that the plasma sheath is just too much for any telemetry to get through.

Just now, Exoscientist said:

Angry Astronaut noted, it is likely the problem of the relight of the engines of the booster for landing was due to the hot staging method.

Angry Astronaut has no legitimate reason to think this and that doesn't make any sense. The engines managed to get through the entire boostback just fine. Control authority appears to have been the problem prior to relight.

Just now, Exoscientist said:

I just saw that SpaceX has decided not to try the engine relight test during the Starship return, which does support the idea there are still problems on relight of the Raptors. 

It appears that literally anything that does or does not happen during any test will be interpreted by you to support your pet theory about Raptor reliability.

1 minute ago, Minmus Taster said:

Still nothing, you'd think if it was alive it would be done by now.

That's what I would have said, but they don't seem bothered or anxious yet. No noise coming from behind them.

Just now, sevenperforce said:

That's what I would have said, but they don't seem bothered or anxious yet. No noise coming from behind them.

Why would they be, it's been a great day regardless of if it survives.

I'm a bit skeptical about slosh causing the control issues on Booster during reentry and the landing burn.  At that point, there's very little fuel left.  Although....I suppose it's possible that even the small amount of sloshing force might be enough to mess up the PID control loops...

Just now, Minmus Taster said:

All data was lost at the same time, that loss of signal could have been the end.

Yep, that makes sense.

RIP Starship -- you went farther than any before!

I'm worried that it could be burn-through at tile loss. I'm also worried because I have no idea how they would figure that sort of thing out.

That's a lot further than Starship 2, and I rather think that NASA (or whomever is the regulating authority) doesn't have any ground for delays based on this flight.  That would mean the pace is likely to only accelerate.

Probably the most impressive thing about this test is that SpaceX were ready and responsive to go as soon as the "paperwork" was ready.

Edited by Hotel26