SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

IFT-3 - There was damage? (Sarcasm ;)). Mostly dents and dings. Am surprised there are no moves to build some protection for the tank farm,

I'm trying to remember what was said in some episode of SS aerial photography weekly, but failing.  I vaguely recall some kind of mitigation for the tank farm.  They removed or resleaved a damaged tank and maybe something about the landscaping and/or structures between the launch mount and the farm will direct less debris that way. 

I do remember newer additional deluge tanks are all horizontal and lower to the ground and it was posited by the team narrating that as the vertical tanks took a beating over time they'd be phased out to horizontal replacements.  Why not let 31 raptors do part of the scrapping for them over time?  They only contain water, not methane or LOX, right?  Anyway, that was the idea, iirc, and just speculation

In my mind I'm thinking of large, Aircraft Carrier style blast diverters. 

And really that tank farm is a disaster waiting to happen. A loose spanner, shot out by the 31 raptors puncturing a hole and fire. (Assuming those vertical tanks do actually store the fuel. I may be mistaken).

15 minutes ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

In my mind I'm thinking of large, Aircraft Carrier style blast diverters. 

And really that tank farm is a disaster waiting to happen. A loose spanner, shot out by the 31 raptors puncturing a hole and fire. (Assuming those vertical tanks do actually store the fuel. I may be mistaken).

I don't think any fuel or lox is stored in those tanks anymore, but could be mistaken.  A lot of new horizontal methane and LOX tanks were installed awhile back.  I think any of those vertical tanks still in use are just water for the deluge at this point

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Starlink v2 for sale in Moscow, 222k RUB for the terminal, subscription for 13.8k RUB.

Make of it what you wish, looks like Elon really is having a compliance problem.

https://t.me/svarog_msk/45

M'yeh.  Not going to believe whatever random website happens to be purporting on the internet today.  Could be black market scam that will end up geolocked out, or disinfo intended specifically to generate, unwittingly,  public responses like yours.  Strange times and all.

I'm very confident that US CIA and military sigint monitoring would pick up Starlink signal fingerprints fairly easily coming out of Russia and I'm fairly confident they are watching for that kind of thing at this point.  If this  were true we'd be seeing it on CNN and The View given the strong currents at work in this brave new world

That is definitely not factory packaging compared to how my v2 arrived.  Looks like Saran Wrap

Static fire for the ship and booster will be finished about 3 weeks after IFT-3. Though there's plenty of work left to be done at the production site to finish preparing for launch, and addressing issues raised by IFT-3.

On 4/3/2024 at 6:16 AM, Superluminal Gremlin said:

IFT-1 - Big Damage. Required a complete re-think of all involved systems

IF2-2 - Moderate Damage to the Test Stand, much reduced everywhere else

IFT-3 - There was damage? (Sarcasm ;)). Mostly dents and dings. Am surprised there are no moves to build some protection for the tank farm, for example.

At its rate, by IFT-5? the damage will be low enough, and SpaceX well enough versed in the way of the 3 R's. (Reduce Damage, Reuse parts and Recycle what they can).

SpaceX has completely dismantled the second OLM, located at the Kennedy launch site:

Chris Bergin - NSF  @NASASpaceflight
The final Orbital Launch Mount (OLM) leg at KSC 39A has been demolished ahead of a likely pad redesign prior to East Coast Starship launches.
https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1775529100335108442

Evidently, NASA or SpaceX or more likely both were unhappy with the level of damage on an OLM after a Starship launch. 
 They started dismantling it just one week after IFT-3. Rumor has it the new design will have a flame diverter. 

Bob Clark

3 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

SpaceX has completely dismantled the second OLM, located at the Kennedy launch site:

Chris Bergin - NSF  @NASASpaceflight
The final Orbital Launch Mount (OLM) leg at KSC 39A has been demolished ahead of a likely pad redesign prior to East Coast Starship launches.
https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1775529100335108442

Evidently, NASA or SpaceX or more likely both were unhappy with the level of damage on an OLM after a Starship launch. 
 They started dismantling it just one week after IFT-3. Rumor has it the new design will have a flame diverter. 

Bob Clark

Fairly sure the planned flame diverter at KSC has been well known for some time.  No rumors required.  Pics of parts of it have been on the webs for a month at least.  KSC has different requirements overall for a bajillion reasons.  

9 hours ago, Terwin said:

Considering the speed of bureaucracy, this might well be a prompt response to IFT-1

Lol they just hired The FlashTM

He's in charge of the backlog.

13 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

snip

You just can't handle the fact that Elon figured a way to demolish the temporary pad so they could install the deluge system. If I wasn't so busy, I'd start up my own demolitions company using rocket thrust instead of prybars and hydraulics.

Edited by Meecrob

SpaceX is targeting Friday, April 5 for a Falcon 9 launch of 21 Starlink satellites, including six with Direct to Cell capabilities, to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. Liftoff is targeted for 7:31 p.m. PT, with backup opportunities available until 11:25 p.m. PT. If needed, additional opportunities are also available on Saturday, April 6 starting at 7:25 p.m. PT.

36 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And then there’s this: 

The TL:DW:

I’d like to see them get some actual payload to orbit, even if it’s inert like water or liquid nitrogen.

Bob Clark