SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, .50calBMG said:

So thats why Red Dragon was cancelled, they are replacing the dragon with a tesla. I guess that makes sense.

Guess Elon is serious about driving down the costs of travel to Mars.

5 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Correct. Pressure differential is gauge; if the tire can handle 45 psi at sea level, it can handle 30 psi in space.

SES-8 packs an 8 kWh battery but it also has a solar array that produces 5 kW whenever it is in sunlight, so the 56 kWh of the Roadster battery could only power the SES-8 for about 11 hours before dying.

Of course, the SES-8 comsat probably has much higher power requirements than whatever our spacebound Roadster needs to do.

Actually the first-Gen roadster will fit horizontally on the payload adapter inside the fairing.

How do you know that? It will fit both horizontally and verticaly right? so its a matter of choice. 

Edited by harrisjosh2711

49 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

What the? What is even happening? I thought the car idea was pretty good, personally. Both funny and a solid demonstration of FH's capabilities (car are heavy).

1,2 tons. Not exactly that impressive for something called Falcon Heavy.

10 minutes ago, Canopus said:

They can send that thing to Pluto right?

EDIT: they can get 2 to pluto in fact.

Edited by NSEP

15 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Logic dictates there’s going to be more than just the car going, tho...But catching up on this thread this morning is like

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=6162312

first its like

giphy.gif

and then

giphy.gif

and then

latest?cb=20110617200151

troll level: HEAVY

but now it’s like

giphy.gif

:rolleyes:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

19 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Logic dictates there’s going to be more than just the car going, tho...But catching up on this thread this morning is like

Reveal hidden contents

tenor.gif?itemid=6162312

first its like

giphy.gif

and then

giphy.gif

and then

latest?cb=20110617200151

troll level: HEAVY

but now it’s like

giphy.gif

:rolleyes:

I can completely relate to this :D

The Verge article has been updated.

Musk first tweeted out the idea on Friday evening, but in an email response to our inquiry confirming the plan, Musk wrote "it's so real." After this story was published, Musk told us he "totally made it up."

To further complicate the story, Musk reportedly told Ars Technica’s Eric Berger that his Tesla-to-Mars plan was “100% real.”

We’ve reached out to SpaceX for clarification and will update this post if we hear back.

WHAT IS THE TRUTH

3 hours ago, tater said:

He's still tweeting about it...

I totally get this man. The idea of some smart, logical aliens encountering a car drifting in space in the distant future and going "What... the... actual... flark?!? Who would do such thing? And WHY? WHYYYYY???" is making me laugh out loud. And if it happens to be our descendants... it's even better. I so can imagine how emebarassed they would be at their grand- grand- grandparents shenanigans.

Confirmed by Phil Plait!

So I decided to contact Musk. He got back to me, and gave me the info. There have been a lot of rumors and misinformation about what’s going on here, so let me lay this out for y’all:

1) Yes, he’s serious. He’s putting a Tesla Roadster in the top of the Falcon Heavy and launching it into space.

2) No, it’s not going to Mars. It’s going near Mars. He said it’ll be placed in “a precessing Earth-Mars elliptical orbit around the sun.” What he means by this is what’s sometimes called a Hohmann transfer orbit, an orbit around the Sun that takes it as close to the Sun as Earth and as far out as Mars. This is a low-energy orbit; that is, it takes the least amount of energy to put something in this orbit from Earth. That makes sense for a first flight.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/elon-musk-on-the-roadster-to-mars