SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

5 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Is it just me or does SpaceX seem unusually mum about this particular flight? :/

They were ready to go before, it's just that they had to wait for Atlas, and now they have a weather issue with the recovery brewing.

1 minute ago, Antstar said:

Do we know if they plan to recover all 3 boosters? Its not mentioned in the article

Given that they all supposed to be Block 5 and the payload capacity is not maxed out, I’d say yes. 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Given that they all supposed to be Block 5 and the payload capacity is not maxed out, I’d say yes. 

I'd agree with that reasoning. Are they all block 5 though? So far we have only seen a picture of a B5 center core, or have I missed it?

Like dis guy ^^^^^^ said, especially since they’re Block 5 bits and they didn’t recover the core last time, I’d wager they’ll try again just to make sure they’ve got the bugs out. Also, for the science of tearing it down and seeing how it survived a “max damage” recovery, since the B5 is supposed to specifically address that. 

1 minute ago, Antstar said:

I'd agree with that reasoning. Are they all block 5 though? So far we have only seen a picture of a B5 center core, or have I missed it?

Article says all three cores are B5. 

4 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Good news concerning FH. Seems like they don't expect any problems with the design ?

Well, it did work perfectly right off the pad... except for one teeny tiny capacity miscalculation, which I’m sure has a certain engineer relegated to scrubbing the coke out of engine bells for the rest of the year... :sealed:

3 hours ago, tater said:

The new possible launch date might well slip due to weather at sea if they want to try recovery. The nor’easter has apparently increased the sea state down south.

Yeah, it is very windy.  So, THERE'S ANOTHER FH FLIGHT THIS YEAR HYPE HYPE HYPE

13 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Right, but all the info since the 23rd has been from outside sources, nothing "official" from them since that stand-down.

I'm wondering if they're keeping quiet about some parts (like the range being closed) out of professional courtesy. Much like they did with the Flight that Shall Not be Named where we got a brief factual statement then nothing.

No point badmouthing customers in public or grousing about stuff outside of your control.

7 hours ago, KSK said:

I'm wondering if they're keeping quiet about some parts (like the range being closed) out of professional courtesy. Much like they did with the Flight that Shall Not be Named where we got a brief factual statement then nothing.

No point badmouthing customers in public or grousing about stuff outside of your control.

Maybe they are just busy as freak.

Every time I'm seeing these forecasts with a high rate of probability for many days forward I can not stop but remember these guys from the local main airport giving us their TAF for the next hour with never more than 40% of probability. Just like a meteorologist told us during the visit of a local station about 20 years years ago: "Kids, you will see that meteorology will remain the one and only inaccurate science of the 21st century."

13 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

Every time I'm seeing these forecasts with a high rate of probability for many days forward I can not stop but remember these guys from the local main airport giving us their TAF for the next hour with never more than 40% of probability. Just like a meteorologist told us during the visit of a local station about 20 years years ago: "Kids, you will see that meteorology will remain the one and only inaccurate science of the 21st century."

meteorolgy-darts.jpg

12:33 am Eastern, hmmm, that's 9:33 pm my time, just past my bedtime (I get up at 3:30am to be at work for 5), and the booster landing will cut out regardless of success or failure.... Maybe I'll stay up for it, but probably not. It's just gotten so routine lately, which is a good thing, unless they get cocky...

On 2.3.2018 at 8:32 PM, Antstar said:

All block 5 also indicate this, why use block 5 for an disposable stage. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

All block 5 also indicate this, why use block 5 for an disposable stage. 

Because they will discontinue block 4. More than likely use a used block 5 for an expendible (and encourage it because it keeps the production lines working and growing).

They should have at least one used B5 for the side boosters by then, but the center cores are built specifically reinforced for the Heavy, and are the hardest to recover. So the center for the second FH launch will be brand new and I imagine they will really hope to recover it the first time, but in Elon's words, it will be hauling some serious S. I think it will be quite awhile before they have a payload where they need to deliberately expend the center.