SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 hours ago, YNM said:

Because F9 upper stage won't last a day. And it's pretty rough...

Also the falcon 9 upper stage weight four ton or 10 times the weight of the satellite. 
It don't perform so well on small payloads going fast because if only two stages with an heavy second stage.
An kick stage would make sense, they went for an larger fuel tank on satellite and let it handle it itself. 

7 hours ago, YNM said:

Because F9 upper stage won't last a day. And it's pretty rough...

Wouldn't need to last a day; it's just one burn out of LEO.

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Also the falcon 9 upper stage weight four ton or 10 times the weight of the satellite. 
It don't perform so well on small payloads going fast because if only two stages with an heavy second stage.
An kick stage would make sense, they went for an larger fuel tank on satellite and let it handle it itself. 

Block 4 Falcon 9 would have no trouble sending 370 kg far beyond Mars, even with ASDS recovery. The destination orbit is about phase timing for a precise lunar slingshot and nothing else.

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Wouldn't need to last a day; it's just one burn out of LEO.

Too rough.

Things have to be absolute perfect for the maneuver, it's like lagrange points I think.

Interesting tweets this morning: 
in no particular order, cuz it's morning...

TESS's booster will fly again on the next CRS mission

Spoiler

Tomorrow's weather still looking 80% good:

Spoiler

BFTent:
absolutely not a miniature

Spoiler

TESS's upper stage will not be de-orbited. :)

Spoiler

Fairing is equipped for recovery and will land in the ocean, but no Steve-O:

Spoiler

Apparently a droneship landing is actually easier on the rocket:

Spoiler

And since this is the last Block 4, probably the last all white booster:

Spoiler

When im home, i will have a look at the aspect ratio and see if it really changed height.

If it the BFR changed height, its big news, if it didn't, its a big disappointment.

I don't want to dissapoint you guys, but the BFR didn't get significantly taller. There is a video on YouTube where the aspect ratio of the footage is scaled the way it should be, as you can see here.

1FelmzC.png

I then overlayed an image of the IAC 2017 BFR, and its about the same size.

SYOqk3B.png

So, the BFR us the same as it was previously, when it comes to sizing.

EDIT: wait what? Nope? it did changed size? It IS a little bigger. Not astronomically bigger as the original, but a little bit.

Edited by NSEP

51 minutes ago, NSEP said:

EDIT: wait what? Nope? it did changed size? It IS a little bigger. Not astronomically bigger as the original, but a little bit.

The general consensus on Reddit is that it has been stretched but the new BFR video was a lazy animation job (showing the rocket at the same scale as the 2016 ITS). Elon said it has been stretched on Twitter, and we know it's still 9 meters due to the tooling, which appears to be 9 meters.

Also, better images have been released: http://www.humanmars.net/2018/04/spacex-big-falcon-rocket-launch-images.html

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And here I thought they had completely given up on that. Does he mean TESS? It would have a craptonne of extra weight capacity, but they just said they aren’t returning that one at all. :confused:

...yea, and just recently I explained to my brother that upper stage recovery is not worth the trouble, and that SpaceX would never go for it until BFR.

3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

...yea, and just recently I explained to my brother that upper stage recovery is not worth the trouble, and that SpaceX would never go for it until BFR.

Maybe it’s mostly for data collection toward that end? They mentioned the same thing in the buildup to Falcon Heavy, sounds like they’re gonna try a ballute. 

44 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Holy moly, this is new:

I told you the fun was about to begin.

icysmnx0lpsy.jpg

o23XB2i.png

Quick, we need to do this in KSP before he does!  

Actually, this sort of reminds me of something I did in Minecraft a long time ago... Long story short, it was an extensive survival that allowed spaceflight through cheats. The rocket was fully reusable, and the second stage deployed a parafoil and landed on a large pad made of slime blocks, making it effectively a bouncy castle.