KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

23 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

A way to make the Warp Drive more challenging-fancy, could be to make it work just with "some kind" of Maneuver Node, from a orbital point to a target orbital point. More theese two points are near a planet or a gravitational field, less fast the travel would be and less precise the Warp would be to reach the target point. Does it have sense?

I'm have been thinking how to accomplish a kind "Maneuver Node" and one way to implement it would be by the use of Warp beacons (similar to the once used in ESLD Jump Beakens).  Technically. Let's say you want to establish a Warp route to Duna. First step would have to drop of a beacon in Duna orbit. Second you need a warp capable ship which you select the beacons as your target and aim the ship directly toward the target . Initiate Warp as normal and once you are within a certain proximity to the warp beacons, and drop  out of warp in close enough proximity with the warp beaken, the warp ships angular momentum will be aligned  with the warp beacon. Now the accuracy of alignment will depend on Beaken Gravity Wave Power To Warp Vessel Mass ratio and interfering gravity wells. The chalange will be to get the beaken in the correct orbit in the first place and durring  warp to slow down sufficiently, not to overshoot the warp beacon (or fly into the nearby planet or moon).

Edit: Note that technically, the warp beaken does not have to be in orbit around a mun or planet, it could be flying between planets or solar systems, it just need to be powered to be able send a gravity wave to allow a warpschip to align its angular momentum.

Edit2: automatic jumping out of warp might depend on on Kerbal Engineer level. The higher his training level, the faster his responce will be (in frames).

Edit: does any know a good working model for a gravity wave warp beaken?

Edited by FreeThinker

Did some tests with the molten salt reactor.. @FreeThinker is there a reason that you cannot transfer resources from any of the ThF4 containers, including the reactor itself?  Can't transfer with the stock system  nor with TAC-FuelBalancer.  If it's out of ThF4 there's no way to push more into it, it seems.  Is this intentional or a bug?

Just to be clear - vessel has a ThF4 molten salt reactor and 2 radial ThF4 tanks.  Cannot transfer ThF4 between any of the 3 things that contain ThF4 on the ship, which would also preclude attaching a refueling vessel and transferring fuel that way.

Ooh, discovered something else that I thought was a problem with EPL but isn't.. if you launch a craft with a thorium-powered molten salt reactor, but which has no ThF4 in it... the right-click menu says that its fuel mode is EncrichedUranium, which isn't normally a valid fuel mode for this reactor.  So even if I could fuel it (see above), it wouldn't be using the right fuel mode...

Edited by ss8913

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Did some tests with the molten salt reactor.. @FreeThinker is there a reason that you cannot transfer resources from any of the ThF4 containers, including the reactor itself?  Can't transfer with the stock system  nor with TAC-FuelBalancer.  If it's out of ThF4 there's no way to push more into it, it seems.  Is this intentional or a bug?

Just to be clear - vessel has a ThF4 molten salt reactor and 2 radial ThF4 tanks.  Cannot transfer ThF4 between any of the 3 things that contain ThF4 on the ship, which would also preclude attaching a refueling vessel and transferring fuel that way.

Ooh, discovered something else that I thought was a problem with EPL but isn't.. if you launch a craft with a thorium-powered molten salt reactor, but which has no ThF4 in it... the right-click menu says that its fuel mode is EncrichedUranium, which isn't normally a valid fuel mode for this reactor.  So even if I could fuel it (see above), it wouldn't be using the right fuel mode...

Unlike in real life these molten salt reactors require that the reactor be shut down and all waste heat has dissipated before they can have fuel transfer to them

1 minute ago, Profit- said:

Unlike in real life these molten salt reactors require that the reactor be shut down and all waste heat has dissipated before they can have fuel transfer to them

good to know - however when they start off out of fuel, they start off in an invalid fuel mode.  that too is a problem here :(  Or will that magically fix itself once I transfer ThF4 into it?

1 hour ago, Profit- said:

yes and no. You cannot transfer hot Uranium, but with a Lab, you can reprocess the fuel without shutting it down

5 hours ago, Profit- said:

Is losing the waste heat completely still possible? It seems with the integrated stoke heat system it is not.

Edited by EnigmaG

On 11/2/2016 at 0:22 AM, Ajes said:

hmm, There is 2 science labs in this awesome mod.. the normal and the advanced.. when I look at part.cfg and partAdvanced.cfg it looks like they are switched around.. the normal one is faster to research and can store antimatter? and the advanced cannot store antimatter and is slower to research... :D

btw, when I place a molten salt reactor on a ship in the VAB the price is negative?! it have been this for a while I think.. and I think the normal generator has like 1.3 energy units space to store.. when 1000 is normally normal :)

is there anywhere I can submit these 2-3 bugs?

Edited by Ajes

2 hours ago, Ajes said:

looks like ISRU water electrolysis i broken? the ISRU does not detect the "oxygen tank"

5IcfFcj.png

It appears the Refinery did not find any location to store the oxygen, possibly it tries to put in in a format (like Oxidiser) that does not match it's desired output, or there is  definition problem with LqdOxygen. Possible you are using some mods that redefine it.

4 hours ago, hafyboy said:

0ZZqk57.jpg

this always happens with antimatter stuff.... :(

If you simply rescaled the Antimatter collector to large size, this will not happen.

Edited by FreeThinker

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

You should look inside the config files, use a tool like FileSeek

I think i'll just do a clean install of the mods and see if that should fix it instead, and maybe remove some! :D

FN2XPYa.png

So getting back to the molten salt reactor... @FreeThinker any word on why, when it's built without any fuel, it goes into EnrichedUranium mode which is not a valid mode for the reactor?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm building a base on a survey stake with EPL.  You cannot transfer resources into the newly built craft this way.  So it shows up in an invalid state with no way to fuel it or start it.  If it was built with the right fuel mode, it'd be cold and dark so I'm assuming I could transfer in ThF4 at that point and then have an engineer start the reactor, yes?

So getting back to the molten salt reactor... @FreeThinker any word on why, when it's built without any fuel, it goes into EnrichedUranium mode which is not a valid mode for the reactor?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm building a base on a survey stake with EPL.  You cannot transfer resources into the newly built craft this way.  So it shows up in an invalid state with no way to fuel it or start it.  If it was built with the right fuel mode, it'd be cold and dark so I'm assuming I could transfer in ThF4 at that point and then have an engineer start the reactor, yes?

OK, think I figured it out through some trial and error...

1. build empty reactor.  IT IS SAD
2. attach something with ThF4 on board.
3. Get an engineer to manually shutdown the reactor
4. Wait for the decay heating to finish (few days)
5. when the status in the reactor window says OFFLINE, click 'swap fuel' until you're on thorium.  Thorium is now instantly transferred into the reactor
6. EVA an engineer to manually restart the reactor.

17 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

If you simply rescaled the Antimatter collector to large size, this will not happen.

i tried rescaling by making it bigger but still happens. Currently for me its happening whenever I use the collector in more than 1 spike, like having four arms around the spaceship. It doesn't seem to happen when the collectors are in only one single line. I'm using the near future construction mod parts to make them. 

Uploaded 1.6.7 to Curse

Version 1.6.7 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

Released on 2016-02-14

• Added Inline Arcjet Thruster Stack (4 x 2) with switchable resource
  • Improved and Balanced ViSTA engine which now can adjust power level and can function during time warp. It now has 2 Upgrade tech which significantly improve, Laser and Fusion Efficiency
  • Increased minimum Tech requirement for Fordable Radiator
Edited by FreeThinker

OK, think I figured it out through some trial and error...

1. build empty reactor.  IT IS SAD
2. attach something with ThF4 on board.
3. Get an engineer to manually shutdown the reactor
4. Wait for the decay heating to finish (few days)
5. when the status in the reactor window says OFFLINE, click 'swap fuel' until you're on thorium.  Thorium is now instantly transferred into the reactor
6. EVA an engineer to manually restart the reactor.

Yes, this all worked;  the weird thing is, "Refuel Thorium" button only puts in 125 units out of 300 possible, and there's 1000+ available on the ship that it's docked with, which gets transferred out and into the reactor but.. why not 300?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.