KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

2 hours ago, EMPeror said:

Deinonychus 1-D engine uses fuel at a ratio that does not match the Interstellar fuel tanks:

I have 7936/23929 LqdMethane left and 0/20569 LqdOxygen left.

i just use MFT which has configurable ammounts of both resources, and although i dont want to go too off topic, i think it will fix it if you use it with procedural fuel tanks for fuel tanks any size you want, i guess. its what I use atleast. it should work if its not fixed /broken.

hey if u have a reactor with both a heat too megawatts generator and a thermal nozzle, will it sorta work like a bi-modal nerva? capable of making EC and/or megawatts AND powering a thermal nozzle, even if its not at the same time?

1 hour ago, 123nick said:

hey if u have a reactor with both a heat too megawatts generator and a thermal nozzle, will it sorta work like a bi-modal nerva? capable of making EC and/or megawatts AND powering a thermal nozzle, even if its not at the same time?

Yes, just make sure you use the right generators and you have radiators to dissipate the heat.   They will even work at the same time. 

Edited by Profit-

Hi, it's me... again... I have this SSTO http://postimg.org/image/8p3av6ghf/

it flies great, two fusion reactors over 3 GW of power etc. etc. I even managed to charge exotic matter, it included lots of waiting, red glow coolers, but when charging of exotic matter was over I couldn't start the warp engine, it said "warp drive is not fully charged" and number of percentage was stuck at 6,71% although exotic matter was full... what's the problem? Too heavy for this (light) warp drive? If that's the case is there some guidance for weight/warp drive type ratio? 

45 minutes ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Hi, it's me... again... I have this SSTO http://postimg.org/image/8p3av6ghf/

it flies great, two fusion reactors over 3 GW of power etc. etc. I even managed to charge exotic matter, it included lots of waiting, red glow coolers, but when charging of exotic matter was over I couldn't start the warp engine, it said "warp drive is not fully charged" and number of percentage was stuck at 6,71% although exotic matter was full... what's the problem? Too heavy for this (light) warp drive? If that's the case is there some guidance for weight/warp drive type ratio? 

That is exactly the case. Your craft is too heavy.   see if maybe it will warp at 10% power or less. 

(on that same token, I dont even know why the light warp is kept.. LOL none of my craft could ever be moved by it.... course I did make some kinda big)

Also- Wow that is a tiny amount of radiator surface area.  Do you have some folding radiators stuck to the bottom or does that craft just produce deceptively little heat?

Congrats on the SSTO though =) looks good!

Edited by Profit-

1 hour ago, Profit- said:

That is exactly the case. Your craft is too heavy.   see if maybe it will warp at 10% power or less. 

(on that same token, I dont even know why the light warp is kept.. LOL none of my craft could ever be moved by it.... course I did make some kinda big)

Also- Wow that is a tiny amount of radiator surface area.  Do you have some folding radiators stuck to the bottom or does that craft just produce deceptively little heat?

Any tips on weight/type of warp drive combinations? Tonnes per type? I don't want to overkill... need some kind of non atmospheric lander with tonnes of delta V and warp drive capability ... Those are wrap around radiators there are also some on the bottom, six per reactor i think.., they can work with 1,25 and maybe 2,5 m reactors depends on the type... but it's impossible to cool antimatter with them... are they part of KSPI or some other mod? No it couldn't move not even on 1% speed of light... ;.;  I'll try something much smaller and lighter... I was even tempted to slap the external chair on a cube core but I'm limited with life support...

5 hours ago, Profit- said:

For 25 tons you need min 1.38m middle warp drive or

a 2.025m light one or

2*1.25m light and 1*1.25 middle

PS:

1.25 heavy or 2* 1.25 middle also works.

Edited by EnigmaG

2 hours ago, NeverEnoughFuel!! said:

Any tips on weight/type of warp drive combinations? Tonnes per type? I don't want to overkill... need some kind of non atmospheric lander with tonnes of delta V and warp drive capability ... Those are wrap around radiators there are also some on the bottom, six per reactor i think.., they can work with 1,25 and maybe 2,5 m reactors depends on the type... but it's impossible to cool antimatter with them... are they part of KSPI or some other mod? No it couldn't move not even on 1% speed of light... ;.;  I'll try something much smaller and lighter... I was even tempted to slap the external chair on a cube core but I'm limited with life support...

Yeah I saw the radial radiators, just they are such a small area, I was surprised they worked. 
The calculations were done by the gentleman above me =)

9 minutes ago, Profit- said:

Yeah I saw the radial radiators, just they are such a small area, I was surprised they worked. 
The calculations were done by the gentleman above me =)

Thanks guys, thank you very much both, I finally made it, to Duna in Mig-21 interplanetary lookalike, :lol: it took almost 3 hours (in game time) to charge it, folding one... 1,4 speed of light, FINALLY , I'm in carrier mod in case you are wondering why I'm jumping around... it took me hundreds of hours, four mobile labs in orbits of Mun and Minmus and at least 50 contracts to reach warp drive since I had very wide and difficult tech tree... to Duna in 18 minutes... it could go much faster but I chickened and start to throttle down much too early :lol: ... only to hit atmosphere at 5,5 km per second, naturally everything ended up in fireworks... obviously 39,8 km altitude is too low for those speeds, any tips how to avoid such high arriving speeds? Should I leave Kerbin system first, and then jump to warp? I think I saw Scott Manley do something like that...

We still need an update to allow fixed values of c... a lot of my spaceplanes have warp drives that, in order to fit properly with the fuselage have a minimum speed of like 0.5c or so even at 1% - this is too fast for precision jumps.  We talked before about maybe having an 0.1c mode for anything for which 1% is faster than that, which would work for me but I don't know how difficult that is to code.  Perhaps having an 0.1% option would also work - don't know if the warp velocity options are in the config or in the code however.  From looking just now, it doesn't appear that the throttle percentages are in any of the configs, so I'm assuming this is part of the compiled code.

One tip I do have, if you want to warp to the Mun, this is usually too short of a distance to avoid catastrophic failure due to hitting the Mun - however if you first set Minmus as your target, warp out to Minmus, then point at the Mun, recharge and head back, that works.  As long as your warp drive doesn't take forever to charge, this seems to be a valid solution.

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

We still need an update to allow fixed values of c... a lot of my spaceplanes have warp drives that, in order to fit properly with the fuselage have a minimum speed of like 0.5c or so even at 1% - this is too fast for precision jumps.  We talked before about maybe having an 0.1c mode for anything for which 1% is faster than that, which would work for me but I don't know how difficult that is to code.  Perhaps having an 0.1% option would also work - don't know if the warp velocity options are in the config or in the code however.  From looking just now, it doesn't appear that the throttle percentages are in any of the configs, so I'm assuming this is part of the compiled code.

One tip I do have, if you want to warp to the Mun, this is usually too short of a distance to avoid catastrophic failure due to hitting the Mun - however if you first set Minmus as your target, warp out to Minmus, then point at the Mun, recharge and head back, that works.  As long as your warp drive doesn't take forever to charge, this seems to be a valid solution.

I have a time control mod from somewhere.  You can go 99x in physics mode  (in theory if youhave a super computer) but more interesting you can also slow time to 1/64th normal.  I can precisely warp any distance using that. 

https://github.com/ntwest/TimeControl/releases/tag/1.0.4-hf-2

Edited by Profit-

5 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

I wonder if anyone made efficient use of VISTA/quantum vacuum engines. It seems like VASMIR/Thermal combo obsoletes all engines.

Quantum Vacuum seems to be emergency engine when run out of fuel.

I use Quantum vacuum plasma's for the DT, and I use arcjets for the push.   This monster  has a Kerbin SLT of 1.61 on arcjets with water and an infinte delta-V on the Plasma... I usually use water in the plasma's though as it is fast and efficient enough for minmus-Kerbin orbital transfers and I can refill anytime. (it is my EPL Shipyard with 100K-tons of metal and parts and has a CivPop of about 200 to recruit from) 

shipyard.png

FreeThinker,

I've been a long-time user of this mod, and I really appreciate the work you put into it. I reached a point of frustration recently, though. It seems like KSP's thermal systems are going a very different direction from KSP-I, and I was wondering if I could help bridge the gap. As it is, KSP-I parts have two different temperatures, heat contents, etc, as if they're thermodynamically oblivious to each other. I've pulled down your code and started pouring through it. It's a lot to get familiar with, with a lot of complexity (my hat is off to you for managing this thing). I'm going to try to fold the waste heat mechanic into stock heating, so we don't have two wildly different reported temperatures for parts, or different mechanisms for radiating heat away. Of course, it's not simple, seeing as thermal power and core-temperature dependent ISP are critical to this mod. I'll see what I can do. I'm going to proceed regardless (for my own sake), but if you're interested in checking out my changes and merging them into your version when I've got something, that could be good for the mod.

Here's my general plan: examine the reactors from systems like Near Future Electrical and USI, see how the core-heat and heat transfer are worked in there. Then I'm going to map out a way to leave the thermal power mechanic in place while taking *excess* thermal power which would have become waste heat and changing it into the thermal flux/heat used by the stock game.

I'll keep you posted.

Well I welcome any new constructive work on KSPI. In the past I tried to have more interaction between KSPI wasteheat and KSP stock heat, but it resulted in exploding parts and weird interaction with Stock KSP at high warp speed or with other mods that effect heating. I read that 1.0.5 has fixed some of KSP stock heating issues so this might no longer apply.

Notice Stock heat and KSPI Thermal Heat are not completely oblivious to each other, their are some interactions. The main one is in the Thermal Engine Nozzle . It generates huge amount ok Stock heat which is converted to KSPI wasteheat depending on the saturation of the KSPI waste heat capacity. Another one is purely cosmetic, the radiators will glow hot red when either the KSPI heat or KSP Stock heat starts to overheat.

The main problem whe have to tackle is to concrete a logical and meaningful interaction framework between stock KSPI wasteheate and KSP Heat. One Idea I have is to convert KSPI wasteheat to KSP Stock heat at the radiators and let KSP take care of dissipation. The main advantage to do this is that you gain the benefits of KSP stock features like automatically calculating heat absorption from the sun. This means radiators that are in the shadow become more effective

Edited by FreeThinker

Hey, I need some help. There used to be a link to a beginners guide for KSPI on the main page, but the link is lost. Could someone find a link the the online document again for me?

Edit: Alright, I found it myself. It was still lucking in my email message

Edited by FreeThinker

On 2/1/2016 at 11:30 AM, Profit- said:

I have a time control mod from somewhere.  You can go 99x in physics mode  (in theory if youhave a super computer) but more interesting you can also slow time to 1/64th normal.  I can precisely warp any distance using that. 

https://github.com/ntwest/TimeControl/releases/tag/1.0.4-hf-2

that could in fact solve it, yeah.  will try it.

On 1/28/2016 at 8:06 AM, FreeThinker said:

There are not any source code change since the last version, so we can rule out that. Last time II saw this problem it has something to do with resources ... perhaps something is missing or incorrectly defined

OK - finally found the problem. I had added some Atmospheric resource nodes for Kopernicus for myself, & I had a (single, look-alike character) typo in the MM config, with the result that I had two top-level Atmospheric resources, (think)

1 hour ago, ABZB said:

OK - finally found the problem. I had added some Atmospheric resource nodes for Kopernicus for myself, & I had a (single, look-alike character) typo in the MM config, with the result that I had two top-level Atmospheric resources, (think)

Good to hear my prediction of the problem was related to resources was correct and you were able to correct it yourself.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Good to hear my prediction of the problem was related to resources was correct and you were able to correct it yourself.

I was somewhat wrong, (narrowed it down within that file) - I had added, via MM, a Propellant Control Module for Lithium, which apparently the reactor(s) did not like (it was a couple of line in the middle of a bigger file).

I'm running into a problem with the Nuclear TurboJet engine.

I put two of them on a craft, scaled up to 1.875 and launch it. They will spool up fine and start moving me down the runway, then all of a sudden there is a flameout sound and my game instantly crashes out. The craft has 4 air intakes, so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm running 64bit in linux, so shouldn't be running out of RAM as this happens even if I go directly to runway with the craft after starting the game.

Here is the player.log where the crash last occured.

log

2 hours ago, armegeddon said:

I'm running into a problem with the Nuclear TurboJet engine.

I put two of them on a craft, scaled up to 1.875 and launch it. They will spool up fine and start moving me down the runway, then all of a sudden there is a flameout sound and my game instantly crashes out. The craft has 4 air intakes, so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm running 64bit in linux, so shouldn't be running out of RAM as this happens even if I go directly to runway with the craft after starting the game.

Here is the player.log where the crash last occured.

log

I can see there is to be a problem with procedural parts in your install. At least that the first exception I can see in the log.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.