KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

I think no real spacecraft will have antimatter with them - one accident and you lose your ship, colony and/or city.

And is there plasma deflection mod? Since you can contain hot plasma in reactors, why not use same technology to deflect reentry plasma?

27 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I think no real spacecraft will have antimatter with them - one accident and you lose your ship, colony and/or city.

And is there plasma deflection mod? Since you can contain hot plasma in reactors, why not use same technology to deflect reentry plasma?

The Antimatter application are based on real futuristic concepts. The danger is the same as travelling with a tank full of Hydrazine or every other rocket fuel ever used, in case of esplosion really probably everyone dies.

About the plasma deflection, we have no news about a real project to use such technology.

On 1/17/2016 at 0:29 PM, raxo2222 said:

If one method requires 10,000 years of transit time, and the other requires a few days, people will take the risk. 

On 17.01.2016 at 6:58 PM, Nansuchao said:

The Antimatter application are based on real futuristic concepts. The danger is the same as travelling with a tank full of Hydrazine or every other rocket fuel ever used, in case of esplosion really probably everyone dies.

About the plasma deflection, we have no news about a real project to use such technology.

In deep space it doesn't matter.

Well but when comes to crash near colony or city, then you don't want carry Hydrazine with you, really don't want carry fission fuel/waste and REALLY don't want carry antimatter.

There should be prestige costs if you crash it on Kerbin depending on mass and kind of fuel.

16 hours ago, Profit- said:

If one method requires 10,000 years of transit time, and the other requires a few days, people will take the risk. 

Kerbal way is best way, eh? And nothing like death in full hot glory when antimatter tank ruptures? :P

@FreeThinker Why not make interstellar fuel tanks to carry any kind of fuel, that engine can use?

Not counting atmosphere Vasmir can use: Liquid Oxygen, Krypton Gas, Argon, Liquid CO2, Oxidizer, Liquid Fuel, Xenon, Liquid Hydrogen, Liquid Helium, Lithium, Neon Gas, Hydrazine, Hydrogen Peroxide, Mono-propellant, Liquid Methane, Liquid Ammonia, Water, Liquid CO and Liquid Nitrogen.

Thermal Turbojet can use (omitting duplicates from Vasmir list): Hydrolox (H2+O2), Methalox (CH4+O2), LiquidFuel+Oxidizer (why vasmir can't do that at average thrust and isp of same mix as thermal turbojet uses - it can use them separately), and Kerosene.

And here comes list of missing fuels in largest interstellar fuel tank (X48, not that round one): Krypton Gas, Argon, Oxidizer, Xenon, Liquid Helium, Lithium, Neon Gas,  Hydrogen Peroxide, Mono-propellant, LiquidFuel+Oxidizer, and Kerosene.

So suggestion would be to add to all interstellar tanks what X48 can carry + Krypton, Argon, Xenon, Neon, Helium, Lithium, Hydrogen Peroxide, Mono-propellant,Oxidizer,  LiquidFuel+Oxidizer, and Kerosene.

6 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

@FreeThinker Why not make interstellar fuel tanks to carry any kind of fuel, that engine can use?

Well there are  several reasons for that, the main one is realism. The Interstellar Fuel Tank is created to transport large amount at minimum mass cost and be able to switch them during the mission. THis allows you to refuel in the wild with what ever atmosphere you find. For example, you could scoop Nitrogen from Kerbin atmosphere, travel to Duna , empty them completely and refill them with CO2 from the atmosphere.

However, Low mas tanks cannot sustain high amounts of pressure (>10 bar) which requires very strong tanks, which would increase the mass fraction significantly. Instead It will keep the temperature of resource just below boiling temperature and relatively low pressure ( <10 bar) by refrigeration. Granted, this requires a lot of power, but this is something you can easily generate with on board nuclear reactors very efficiently and in deep space, you don't need any refrigeration at all. Now most resources can be kept liquefied. Hydrogen is hard but feasible. The only big exception is helium which is just crazy to keep Liquefied.  Xenon is actually a resource that can realistically be liquefied, significantly more easy than Hydrogen but would introduce an extra resource which I rather not because the stuff is freaking expansive. Argon would be much better as it's cheap and when liquefied very dense

Edited by FreeThinker

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well there are  several reasons for that, the main one is realism. The Interstellar Fuel Tank is created to transport large amount at minimum mass cost and be able to switch them during the mission. THis allows you to refuel in the wild with what ever atmosphere you find. For example, you could scoop Nitrogen from Kerbin atmosphere, travel to Duna , empty them completely and refill them with CO2 from the atmosphere.

However, Low mas tanks cannot sustain high amounts of pressure (>10 bar) which requires very strong tanks, which would increase the mass fraction significantly. Instead It will keep the temperature of resource just below boiling temperature and relatively low pressure ( <10 bar) by refrigeration. Granted, this requires a lot of power, but this is something you can easily generate with on board nuclear reactors very efficiently and in deep space, you don't need any refrigeration at all. Now most resources can be kept liquefied. Hydrogen is hard but feasible. The only big exception is helium which is just crazy to keep Liquefied.  Xenon is actually a resource that can realistically be liquefied, significantly more easy than Hydrogen but would introduce an extra resource which I rather not because the stuff is freaking expansive. Argon would be much better as it's cheap and when liquefied very dense

That explained gases. Can we have equivalent tank for these gases? There are fuel tanks for gases in interstellar fuel switch plugins, but they all are pancakes or radial.

But what about Lithium, Hydrogen Peroxide, Mono-propellant,Oxidizer,  LiquidFuel+Oxidizer, and Kerosene?

Lithium is solid and other are liquids in normal conditions. I assume it is bug, that fuels above are missing from fuel selection in interstellar tank.

Edit: This could be noble gas tank:

there is 1.25m X48 tank - longest one.

On second picture are 10 interstellar gas tanks pretending to be one fuel tank.

Can we have 10x, 5x and 2x Interstellar Gas Tanks as single parts?

Edited by raxo2222

On 1/20/2016 at 8:03 AM, raxo2222 said:

Kerbal way is best way, eh? And nothing like death in full hot glory when antimatter tank ruptures? :P

Death comes for us all in the end.    We are basically flying in a glorified can with a million ways to die as we cross that ichor ocean between specks of light orbited by motes of dust.  Reducing the time in that danger may make it safer to actually ride a can that has the universes most dangerous substance in it for propulsion.  

On 1/20/2016 at 11:57 AM, FreeThinker said:

wait.. you can switch the fuel type *during the mission*?? how?  I've always wanted to be able to do that but I have only been able to do it in the SPH/VAB... please tell me what I'm missing here, this .. changes a lot of things for my space program :)

8 hours ago, ss8913 said:

wait.. you can switch the fuel type *during the mission*?? how?  I've always wanted to be able to do that but I have only been able to do it in the SPH/VAB... please tell me what I'm missing here, this .. changes a lot of things for my space program :)

Empty the tank. Select new fuel.  (It works best if you have another tank to transfer a partial fuel load into )

Edited by Profit-

58 minutes ago, Rebelgamer said:

About the Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet, it says it has it's own intake, but the only way I could get it to work was by adding a radial air intake.  Is that a bug or just the description needing to be changed?

There is no air intake on the Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet. I think the description is wrong.

PS:FreeThinker: There seems to be no more storage for alumina.

Edited by EnigmaG

No in the hybrid rockets is aluminium.

In the past refinery hat there one storage for mind alumina(aluminiumoxide) but not anymore.

Without storage the refinery will not electrolysis it for hybrid rockets fuel.

Edited by EnigmaG

I built 7 TW antimatter power plant on Moon. Thermal Thruster seems to thrust my ship at 100 g, so I used plasma engine instead.

I use 1.25 parts with 2.5m plasma engines. 4 400% sized air intakes allows me to use atmospheric mode up to 50 km :D

Engine shine mod adds nice effect to radiator - it looks like it was hotter closer to engines - while glow actually comes from engines.

Hydrazine powered engine at 10% thrust limiter gives me around 1.5 TWR and 100 km/s of dv, which enables me skipping atmospheric reentry altogether. Also I could zip in straight line to any planet - I would have to add antimatter reactor though.

Edit: Best fuel for this design is CO2, as it gives me most DV possible.

Edited by raxo2222

11 hours ago, EnigmaG said:

No in the hybrid rockets is aluminium.

In the past refinery hat there one storage for mind alumina(aluminiumoxide) but not anymore.

Without storage the refinery will not electrolysis it for hybrid rockets fuel.

Ah, I see.  Sorry I never really used them.   There have been quite a few issues with the refinery lately.  I will see if I can just make a quick change to the part that will allow that for you. 

You can download this one and produce aluminium HOWEVER it does not produce liquid o2 like it should... Make sure you take that into account.  I will see if I can correct that somehow as well sometime.  (update: for some reason I can no longer compile the dll file, probably owing to the fact I installed a newer version of unity so I cannot change that)

https://github.com/Profit0004/KSPInterstellar/blob/31fb4fb7bfa553481e98823d99ff6fdc8297a082/GameData/WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/LargeRefinery/part.cfg

Edited by Profit-

Thanks, but i  already made my one storage out of the stock ore tanks.   

Spoiler

PART
{
name = RadialAluminaHoldingTank
module = Part
author = RoverDude;Eni

mesh = RadialOreTank.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

node_attach = 0,0,0.0,0,0,0,1

TechRequired = advScienceTech
entryCost = 1000
cost = 300
category = FuelTank
subcategory = 0
title = Radial Alumina Holding Tank
manufacturer = Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spacecraft Parts Co
description = A small radial tank for storing raw materials, or possibly spare snacks.
attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.125
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
maxTemp = 2000 // = 3000

RESOURCE
{
	name = Alumina
	amount = 0
	maxAmount = 75
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleFuelJettison
}

}

PART
{
name = LargeAluminaTank
module = Part
author = RoverDude;Eni

mesh = LargeTank.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

node_attach = 0,0,-1.2,0,0,0,2
node_stack_top = 0.0, .9, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -.9, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

TechRequired = experimentalScience
entryCost = 9000
cost = 3000
category = FuelTank
subcategory = 0
title = Large Alumina Holding Tank
description = A large tank that can be used for storing raw materials.  Not to be used as a bouncy castle.
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 2.0
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
maxTemp = 2000 // = 3000

RESOURCE
{
	name = Alumina
	amount = 0
	maxAmount = 1500
}

MODULE
{
}

}

PART
{
name = SmallAluminaTank
module = Part
author = RoverDude;Eni

mesh = SmallTank.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

node_attach = 0,0,-0.6,0,0,0,1
node_stack_top = 0.0, .9, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -.9, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

TechRequired = advScienceTech
entryCost = 3000
cost = 1000
category = FuelTank
subcategory = 0
title = Small Alumina Holding Tank
description = A small tank for storing raw materials, or possibly spare snacks.
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 0.50
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
maxTemp = 2000 // = 3000

RESOURCE
{
	name = Alumina
	amount = 0
	maxAmount = 300
}

MODULE
{
}

}

Can someone make universal procedural fuel tanks:

Extended version of largest interstellar tank, that can carry Lithium, Hydrogen Peroxide, Mono-propellant,Oxidizer,  LiquidFuel+Oxidizer, and Kerosene too.

Pressurized gas tank, that can carry Krypton, Argon, Xenon, Neon and Helium.

Or one tank to rule them all with drawback of having relatively low usable volume, as it is fit for pressurized gases.

7 hours ago, the torturer of kerbals said:

How do i get exotic matter to charge the albecurrie thing?

It is produced from energy.  Start charging it and several hundred terrawatts of power later it will have exotic matter. 

35 minutes ago, Koverpk said:

Why is there no Tweakscale support for the liquid methane engine? Am I missing something here? 

Might have just been overlooked.

13 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Can someone make universal procedural fuel tanks:

Extended version of largest interstellar tank, that can carry Lithium, Hydrogen Peroxide, Mono-propellant,Oxidizer,  LiquidFuel+Oxidizer, and Kerosene too.

Pressurized gas tank, that can carry Krypton, Argon, Xenon, Neon and Helium.

Or one tank to rule them all with drawback of having relatively low usable volume, as it is fit for pressurized gases.

You get most of it with Modular Fuel Tanks and ABAZ´s Integration Patch Set

Edit: Add also Procedural Parts and you are good.

Edited by EnigmaG

Finally, The following KSPI-E Update has been made possible by SilverSilver (please give him some rep)

Version 1.6.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

Released on 2016-01-24

• Replaced models for Pebble-bed, Dusty Plasma and Dumbo (credits go to SilverSilver)
  • Updated Module Manager to 2.6.18
  • Updated CRP to 4.5.8
Edited by FreeThinker

11 hours ago, EnigmaG said:

You get most of it with Modular Fuel Tanks and ABAZ´s Integration Patch Set

Edit: Add also Procedural Parts and you are good.

Tank you :D

Hydrazine gives me 58k, HTP - 75k and helium - 88k of dv. So HTP is best fuel now - helium has 4x lower TWR for my spaceplane than HTP.

How to pressurize tanks, so these could hold noble gases? I wonder if any of them can beat HTP in DV.

Edited by raxo2222

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Finally, The following KSPI-E Update has been made possible by SilverSilver (please give him some rep)

Version 1.6.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

Released on 2016-01-24

• Replaced models for Pebble-bed, Dusty Plasma and Dumbo (credits go to SilverSilver)
  • Updated Module Manager to 2.6.18
  • Updated CRP to 4.5.8

Thank you Freethinker and SilverSilver!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.