KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

If you are talking about Near Future...

Just installed dev versions of NF propulsion and electrical.

NF engines properly use power from interstellar genrators (1to1 ratio). The only problem is that engines uses megajoules as second propellant, but production of generators is somehow hidden. So ingame delta-v calculations is not available. May be i should post this to Nertea...

Problems with NF electrical installed:

Large fusion reactor is not scaled down, other reactors are.

My test setup, all default sizes and fully upgraded, full throttle: antimatter reactor, charged particle generator, 8 large flat radiators

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 800, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]KSPI-E thrust[/TD]

[TD]NFe thrust[/TD]

[TD]Other problems with NFe[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Plasma Thruster[/TD]

[TD]163.69 kN[/TD]

[TD]2.135 kN[/TD]

[TD]Don't scalled down MAX power consumption[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ATTILA Thruster 1.25[/TD]

[TD]2795 kN[/TD]

[TD]30.398 kN[/TD]

[TD]Don't scalled down MAX power consumption[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ATTILA Thruster 62.5cm[/TD]

[TD]465.94 kN[/TD]

[TD]30.398 kN[/TD]

[TD]Dont' scalled down MAX power consumption

have the same mass as the big one[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Magnetic Nozzle[/TD]

[TD]407 kN[/TD]

[TD]58920 kN[/TD]

[TD]almost instatly burn all available fuel

can't be restarted after flame-out[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vista engine[/TD]

[TD]1200 kN[/TD]

[TD]1200 kN[/TD]

[TD]overheats in a second at full throttle[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Also I suppose that something wrong with wasteheat storage scaling. With NFe installed all radiators become stable red in minutes while without NFe it can take hours. For example vista engine has 1.2kk wasteheat storage, but with NFe it is only 2400 and vista still has 10k production rate so overheats instantly.

And one more about wasteheat. May be not a bug... With installing NFe existing crafts with reactors are updated, but not the wasteheat storages. Even in VAB to properly update heatstorages on existing blueprints we have to remove appropriate part and place it again.

It appears NF needs some work

I made a thread over in the general add-on forum asking about this mod and NFT. Nobody responded with their general thoughts between NFT and KSPI-E, but I figured at least some folks here could answer these two questions: How stable is KSPI-E and how bad is the installation really? It seems like the strangest mod to install for KSP. (Install an outdated mod, copy new files on top, add a half dozen dependencies including several outdated ones. It just seems like it *should* break.) But that could be intentional and rather clever since FreeThinker said he's trying to keep it backwards compatible for as long as possible.

Also, does it work well with NFT? Is it better to keep it by itself or include the other mod? Does NFT add anything to KSPI-E?

Perhaps I should repeat my thoughts about the History and Future of KSPI

KSPI-E was born out of my own frustration of KSPI and Near Future Technology not playing nice with each-other due to the vast difference in power levels. While NFT reactors were producing KSP Stock alike Kilowatts, KSPI engines we generating GigaWatt power. This problem was made worse by the fact that Despite KSPI reactors producing much more power than NFT-E reactors, the KSPI engines performance was worse than NFT-E engines. Combining the 2 mods however (Gigawatt reactor with Kilowatt electric engines) resulted in very unbalanced gameplay. To solve the problem, I realized KSPI needed some changes to allow me to create an KSPI-NF Integration. Because a lot of KSPI configuration was hidden, I initially tried to achieve this by opening up KSPI parts and configuration files for modding. This also explains how KSPI Extended Configuration got it's name. I though it was temporary until Boris of Fractal would return but they never did. Because it was too much work to work on 2 mods, I decided to integrate my ideas of KSPI-NF into KSPI-E and allowed KSPI-E tp adapt to NFT-E when it was installed. After modifying KSPI to open it up from modding, I leaned the code and managed to fixed several bugs and started to make improvements. NFT-E mode worked reasonably well until KSP 1.0 launch. After 1.0, many KSPI features we broken, taking me a quite some time to fix it. Now KSPI-E is close for beta (complete install) for normal KSPI playing but Near Future Mode still need some fixes. In intend to fix that as well, allowing you to play KSPI at NFT power level.

Note that do not consider myself the person that have to determine the future of KSPI, it's just that nobody else seems to want to do it. I would be more than happy to share that responsibility. Anyone that actively want to develop KSPI is free to do it. It would appreciate it as it would allow me to focus more on advanced features I have ideas about. Also notice I haven't had the time yet to play a serious KSP 1.0 campaign yet. But now my hands are full just making KSPI-E functional again. I think KSPI could develop into something much better. The simply truth is, KSPI is too big for a single developer. I don't have the time nor the skills to implement everything that it deserves. I'm especially frustrated about the lack of artist support. Many of KSPI models and effects look dated and ugly compared to more resent mods. There have been some artist and programmers offering their help but they often go AWOL after a short time. I'm not sure If I can keep it up myself indefinably. I would prefer to create a team of developers that works on KSPI. I guess that's the only way to ensure KSPI Future,

Edited by FreeThinker

Perhaps I should repeat my thoughts about the History and Future of KSPI...

As someone that's been playing KSPI since the beginning... I was starting to think KSPI was starting to get TOO big. Here I am hoping someone would make a slimmed down version. KSPI just picked up function after function... that weren't really needed imho. Things like the aluminum hybrid rockets, methylox, science labs making science, cpu core, etc.... Heck, even the ISRU isn't really needed anymore (just add a couple functions to the in game version). There's parts in KSPI that I've never found a GOOD use for. I'm just not about to complain when people like you are willing to take your time to get KSPI working. I feel it would be rude. But if you want me to list off a bunch of things you can cut out and no one would miss... just ask.

I wish I could help, FreeThinker, but I can make no meaningful contribution. I can just give you my support and understanding that these things take time.

Believe it or not we all appreciate your hard work.

~Steve

Edited by NeoAcario

Thank you for casting your vision for KSPI-E. It is very helpful. I've been busy with random life stuff since KSP .24 or so and I came into the conversation late. My knowledge of KSPI-E was this:

KSP Interstellar Extended is an continuation of Boris KSP Interstellar 0.90 Maintance with lot's of additional fixes and features. This Mods aims to continue in Fractals original KSPI vision in providing a realistic road to the stars.

I also had experience with Fractal's KSPI, and I saw your features list and changes on the front page. I pieced a little bit together, but I wasn't really sure how exactly KSPI was extended. It kind of sounded like someone was just taking over KSPI from Boris who took it over from Fractal. I was actually really hoping someone would explain what you just laid out.

I have two suggestions which might be helpful to you:

(1) Put your thoughts on the history and future of KSPI on the front page so new folks can find it easily. It would be super helpful and you won't have to answer that question anymore (or at least as much). Perhaps you could put it in a spoiler right after that part I quoted?

(2) Put a request for help on the front page too so people can see that and know how they might be able to support you continue this great mod.

Thanks again for your explanation. And I'm really excited someone is working to make NFT and KSPI play well together.

When was the change made to the thermal turbojet so that it could no longer toggle between a jet and a rocket nozzle? Or is my install faulty?

~Steve

/sadpanda

EDIT:

ok.. wait a sec. Were the thermal rockets and turbojets edited to not use regular fuels anymore? Liquid or Liquid+Ox?

EDIT2:

Also seems to be no point in using larger antimatter collectors. They bring in no additional AM.

Edited by NeoAcario

When was the change made to the thermal turbojet so that it could no longer toggle between a jet and a rocket nozzle? Or is my install faulty?

~Steve

/sadpanda

EDIT:

ok.. wait a sec. Were the thermal rockets and turbojets edited to not use regular fuels anymore? Liquid or Liquid+Ox?

- thermal turbojet haven't been changed. If it doesn't work, it's probably a Bug.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT2:

Also seems to be no point in using larger antimatter collectors. They bring in no additional AM.

Seems they were missing a TWEAKSCALEEXPONENT, I have added it for next version

- thermal turbojet haven't been changed. If it doesn't work, it's probably a Bug.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems they were missing a TWEAKSCALEEXPONENT, I have added it for next version

Well, I'll be your tester baby for all the things I use... but I think I'll wait for you to release a full beta. That way, at least, it shouldn't be an error on my part with install.

Lessee... fusion, microwave transmitter, slow nuclear, antimatter, thermal turbojet, plasma, warp, and a few others in rare situations. I'll probably slim down the mod a great deal with a bunch of the other stuff. Well, and I'll swap out for the zzz model of collapsible warp drives. Or do you plan to add them in?

Basically, anything requiring other fuels (besides reactors) I just don't care for. I am exciting to use 10m AM collectors! I'll be able to slim down my masterpiece Jool AM farm from around 180 parts to probably around 50 or less!

I'll be waiting patiently for that beta!

~Steve

Version 1.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2

Released on 2015-05-14

• Full Install, you no longer first need to install Boris KSPI. Please make sure delete the old WarpPlugin folder!
  • Textures converted to dds format (thanks to InsanePlumber)

Edited by FreeThinker

Released on 2015-05-14

• Full Install, you no longer first need to install Boris KSPI

Thank you so much!!!!

Quick question, when I drop this into my KSP do I let it overwrite anything that I already have installed (Community resource Pack, Community tech Tree, and Interstellar FuelSwitch)?

Thank you so much!!!!

Quick question, when I drop this into my KSP do I let it overwrite anything that I already have installed (Community resource Pack, Community tech Tree, and Interstellar FuelSwitch)?

Yes, but just make sure you delete the old WarpPlugin folder!

Now, can someone help me get this mod on CKAN?

Edited by FreeThinker

Released on 2015-05-14

• Full Install, you no longer first need to install Boris KSPI. Please make sure delete the old WarpPlugin folder!

You .......... updating right before I go to bed. Don't think you'll get away with this! I'll be testing as soon as I wake up!

Awesome and thanks!

~Steve

Do you remember that you need to unlock upgrade for thermal turbojets to allow them switching?

Just tested the latest version - switching is ok for me.

Good job, man. This mod really deserves to keep going, and knowing that someone is actually trying to maintain it really makes me happy.

However, I can't help but notice that the OP presentation could site use some work. Would you mind if I remade it a bit?

Good job, man. This mod really deserves to keep going, and knowing that someone is actually trying to maintain it really makes me happy.

However, I can't help but notice that the OP presentation could site use some work. Would you mind if I remade it a bit?

Sure, what do you have in mind?

- - - Updated - - -

Version 1.1.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2

Released on 2015-05-14

• Fixed multiple bugs with Near Future / SETI Mode
  • Waste Heat capacity is now calculated at dynamically allowing you to switch between NF mode and KSPI mode

Now, can someone please help me with getting KSPI on CKAN?

Edited by FreeThinker

Version 1.1.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2

Released on 2015-05-14

• Fixed multiple bugs with Near Future / SETI Mode
  • Waste Heat capacity is now calculated at dynamically allowing you to switch between NF mode and KSPI mode

This is godsend.

Having a bit of trouble; seems like the game isn't recognizing that LiquidFuel and Oxidizer are the same as LqdHydrogen and LqdOxygen. Am I doing something wrong here? It won't let me switch the thermal turbojets to thermal rocket mode as a result.

Excellent work.

Tested the latest version: all engines perform similarly either with or without NF.

The only problems I see now with reactors, engines and radiators: large fusion reactor don't scale with NF and magnetic nozzle's flameout(however last is easily avoidable).

Also I don't know is it intended but looks like ATTILA 1.25 is missing wasteheat resource in cfg.

- - - Updated - - -

Having a bit of trouble; seems like the game isn't recognizing that LiquidFuel and Oxidizer are the same as LqdHydrogen and LqdOxygen. Am I doing something wrong here? It won't let me switch the thermal turbojets to thermal rocket mode as a result.

LiquidFuel is not LqdHydrogen. They have completly different densities and properties. Also for last one you have to use some kind of powered cryostat to prevent boil off.

Now, can someone please help me with getting KSPI on CKAN?

I checked ckan thread and how to add mods

I guess this is the ckan file that is responsible for the old kspi mod

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/tree/master/KSPInterstellar

It seems simple enough to prepare a file like this. I can use this as a template and write yours if you don't have time.

So you're telling me Thermal Turbojets/Rockets can't run on LqdFuel anymore?

Yep, and I suppose that for now KSPI-E has nothing to do with LiquidFuel.

As I remember it was changed somewhere between 0.9.0 and 0.9.5 or about a month ago...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.