KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Added a new Beta 1.16.2.1 which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added Bussard Magnetic Scoop which can collect from either atmospheres, interstellar medium or solar wind

* Added Bussard Fusion Engine

* Added p-p Fusion and p-D for Muon Catalized Fusion reactor

* Added Alcubiere Drive simultaneous ring deployment

* Added more Chinese localisation

* Rebalanced Muon Catalized Fusion reactor into a reactor specialized into reactor which convert gamma energy directly into electric power

* Rebalanced Alcubier mass scaling, making larger vessel easier

* Rebalanced Heavy XI Alcubierre Drive, reduce mass by 33% while maintaining same warp power

This Bussard Magnetic Scoop (and other parts that have huge surface area) causes lag every few seconds, if you have FAR installed.

2 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

This Bussard Magnetic Scoop (and other parts that have huge surface area) causes lag every few seconds, if you have FAR installed.

Perhaps you could figure out a way to tell FAR to ignore the dimensions of the magnetic field

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Perhaps you could figure out a way to tell FAR to ignore the dimensions of the magnetic field

Even without magnetic field deployed it lags. Also it is perfect for aerobraking :D

Why it completely stops working when dropping below arbitrary altitude - that is being inside atmosphere, instead just ignoring solar wind?

Edit: This part is very good for solar wind powered fusion :D

https://imgur.com/a/eV3MU

Solar wind outputs following stuff: H, D and He3.

There are following fusion modes:

H + H -> D

Cold D + D -> He4 + He3

He3 + He3 -> He4 + H

H + D -> He4 + D

Spin polarized D + He3 -> He4 + H

First three should be good enough to use and recycle all hydrogen.

Why Colliding Beam Fusion (Tri Alpha) and MFC doesn't have p+p mode?

Edited by raxo2222

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

Even without magnetic field deployed it lags. Also it is perfect for aerobraking :D

I guess FAR get really confused by the fact there are 2 parts with animation in each other.

Why it completely stops working when dropping below arbitrary altitude - that is being inside atmosphere, instead just ignoring solar wind?

Sorry, you have to be more specific

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I guess FAR get really confused by the fact there are 2 parts with animation in each other.

Sorry, you have to be more specific

1. It isn't just this single part.

Any part, that has huge surface area especially if you upscale it to maximum fill make FAR lag.

Take some random tank, edit its cofing so you can upscale it to 1000x or so and if you have FAR installed, then this part will make game lag or even freeze it.

2. Part can't be deployed in atmosphere.

I guess I need two powerplants: one for D+He3 and other for pure H fusion. While p-p is much less energetic, you get much more Hydrogen from solar wind rather than Deuterium or Helium 3.

A combination of a Meon Catalysed Fusion Reaction in p-p Fusion and  Tri Alpha in He3-He3 currently works best here. Notice the Tri Alpha is now also able to run spin polarized  D-He3

3 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Any part, that has huge surface area especially if you upscale it to maximum fill make FAR lag.

Take some random tank, edit its confing so you can upscale it to 1000x or so and if you have FAR installed, then this part will make game lag or even freeze it.

Ok, sound like a FAR bug to me, but also completely unnecessary as the scaled part has no collision box. We need to figure out if there is any way we can help FAR

Edited by FreeThinker

14 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

A combination of a Meon Catalysed Fusion Reaction in p-p Fusion and  Tri Alpha in He3-He3 currently works best here. Notice the Tri Alpha is now also able to run spin polarized  D-He3

Ok, sound like a FAR bug to me, but also completely unnecessary as the scaled part has no collision box. We need to figure out if there is any way we can help FAR

Hmm looks like that table is outdated - in game I'm getting He3 not D when fusing protons.

I guess Muon Calalyzed fusion can act as He3 breeder for Tri-Alpha reactor.

Why Colliding Beam Fusion (Tri Alpha) and MFC doesn't have p+p mode?

Because it mainly creates Gamma Ray energy which is much harder to convert into energy than charged particles

8 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I guess Muon Calalyzed fusion can act as He3 breeder for Tri-Alpha reactor.

Yes, that will become one of its main usages. Because I plan to reduce its reaction rate of p-p fusion, I will introduce the CNO mode which supposedly has much higher reaction rate of converting Hydrogen into Energy.

Also it is perfect for aerobraking :D

Yes, and it can be quite extreme. Have you tried activating the ionisation mean at 70 km?

Edited by FreeThinker

56 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Because it mainly creates Gamma Ray energy which is much harder to convert into energy than charged particles

Yes, that will become one of its main usages. Because I plan to reduce its reaction rate of p-p fusion, I will introduce the CNO mode which supposedly has much higher reaction rate of converting Hydrogen into Energy.

Yes, and it can be quite extreme. Have you tried activating the ionisation mean at 70 km?

Yeah... On Jupiter it is even stronger, as its exosphere is very spacious - got like 25 G when I was closing in to atmosphere while decelerating.

What has higher energy output:

1 km2 of solar arrays at 1 AU, or Bussard Ramjet with ionization online with same effective area and distance, if 99% of all solar wind is instantly consumed by fusion reactors?

At 1 AU I can get 500 MW of thermal energy in muon catalyzed reactor from hydrogen with 5m sized magnetic scoop.

https://imgur.com/a/v6uuC

Edited by raxo2222

23 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

1 km2 of solar arrays at 1 AU, or Bussard Ramjet with ionization online with same effective area and distance, if 99% of all solar wind is instantly consumed by fusion reactors?

Wel tot start with, the minimum size of the Mini magnetosphere is 10 Km, below that you won't be able to affect the ionised solar wind particle. Currently, at 1 AU it produces about 4 times as power as it requires to maintain the magnetic scoop, so the Bussard ramjet would win, but this might change after rebalance

Edited by FreeThinker

Yeah... On Jupiter it is even stronger, as its exosphere is very spacious - got like 25 G when I was closing in to atmosphere while decelerating.

Considering Jupiter atmospheric height, I guess it would currently extend very far into space. Perhaps I need to compensate for this edge case.

Notice you can adjust the Magnetic Scoop power consumption and disable ionisation to reduce drag it to more manageable levels.

Edited by FreeThinker

Something breaks when I upscaled all parts to 40m.

First, refrigerator doesn't scale up conversion rates - solar wind to various liquids and gas hydrogen to liquid hydrogen - when its being upscaled.

Second, magnetic scoop refuses to collect solar wind, even though it collects interstellar gas...

https://imgur.com/a/ZixN2

9 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Second, magnetic scoop refuses to collect solar wind, even though it collects interstellar gas...

https://imgur.com/a/ZixN2

Have you aimed the magnetic collector at the sun?

Edit: I see now that it aimed at the sun, but it is not receiving any power ...

Edited by FreeThinker

10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Oh wait, do you have sufficient helium storage? Besides power it requires helium to create the mini magnetosphere

Helium 4? Well I had storage only for ordinary Hydrogen :P

So looks like Tri-Alpha is really needed here - Muon Catalyzed p-p fusion produces only He3 if I want renewable supply of He4 :P

It seems like gathering rate of interstellar material doesn't depend on speed.

https://imgur.com/a/vtQ6d

4 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Alright, I found the following solution should force FAR to ignore the magnetic scoop

@PART[kspieMagneticScoop]
{
	!MODULE[GeometryPartModule] {} 
}

21 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, I found the following solution should force FAR to ignore the magnetic scoop

@PART[kspieMagneticScoop]
{
	!MODULE[GeometryPartModule] {} 
}

I think this can be applied to deployable radiators/receivers that have huge area after upscaling, and would break when deployed in atmosphere anyway.

Edited by raxo2222

Disclaimer: I have't played KSP in a over 6 months, but I just started playing again. So I don't know if this is an intentional change since the last release of KSP-I extended I played which was 1.13.10.

I am currently running:     KSP-I 1.16.2       with      KSP 1.3.1

I am having 2 issue:

1.) First issue is with the Plasma Beam Core Antimatter Generator producing so much wasteheat when a thermal turbojet is attached to it that it would require way way more radiators than in previous versions to even put a dent into the wasteheat.

2.) Second issue is that both wasteheat values(current/total) multiply when using time acceleration in space. In addition to that, the values do not decrease at an increased rate as they should with the time acceleration.                  I think the issue may come from the multiplier related to wasteheat and time acceleration being misplaced somewhere in the function, because both values multiply with time acceleration. By that I mean at x5 acceleration, both wasteheat values multiply by x5, and same for x10 etc...   This MAY be also causing the wasteheat to not dissipate during time acceleration correctly, or it may be a separate issue.

This should be a very easy issue to replicate, so I won't upload a screenshot(which would have to be a gif)

Let me know if you've had this issue as well, or if you have any questions/comments.

Edited by Chase842

52 minutes ago, Chase842 said:

Disclaimer: I have't played KSP in a over 6 months, but I just started playing again. So I don't know if this is an intentional change since the last release of KSP-I extended I played which was 1.13.10.

I am currently running:     KSP-I 1.16.2       with      KSP 1.3.1

I am having 2 issue:

1.) First issue is with the Plasma Beam Core Antimatter Generator producing so much wasteheat when a thermal turbojet is attached to it that it would require way way more radiators than in previous versions to even put a dent into the wasteheat.

2.) Second issue is that both wasteheat values(current/total) multiply when using time acceleration in space. In addition to that, the values do not decrease at an increased rate as they should with the time acceleration.                  I think the issue may come from the multiplier related to wasteheat and time acceleration being misplaced somewhere in the function, because both values multiply with time acceleration. By that I mean at x5 acceleration, both wasteheat values multiply by x5, and same for x10 etc...   This MAY be also causing the wasteheat to not dissipate during time acceleration correctly, or it may be a separate issue.

This should be a very easy issue to replicate, so I won't upload a screenshot(which would have to be a gif)

Let me know if you've had this issue as well, or if you have any questions/comments.

Both those issues are known, at least to me. 

I think the Wasteheat production issue is a matter of rebalancing -- everything seemed to jump up a bit with this latest version.

The other issue is I think a bug. That combined with the fact that Wasteheat does not dissipate in the background (you need to be focused on the ship or have it in physics range to lose heat) has insured that I always have Hyperedit handy. I just calculate how much heat I think I should have, and adjust accordingly.

Hey, it's a workaround.

Edit: This should probably be over in the support/release thread.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155255-131-ksp-interstellar-extended-kspie-1161-20-10-2017-support-release-thread/&do=findComment&comment=3236043

Edited by Mandella

57 minutes ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

sir can you upgrade this mod to compatible with Module Manager 3.0.0 cos with latest version of MM, this mod got error massage when being patch

For now I suggest you switch back Module Manager 2.8.1, allowing us some time to addapt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.