[0.17] Fuel Transfer Mod V 0.2.2

younata

I can confirm encountering both of these bugs, but have found a workaround of sorts for #1) .... I am able to use the [] keys to change focus to the other ship and use the small control screen there (Resume flight .......End Flight) to return to the Tracking Center. (Note: I cannot actually do the RCS fuel transfer, just recover from the bug)

Thanks for that tip! I had to use ctrl-alt-delete to close KSP, this is much more elegant.

2) The mod only allows for 1 FUEL transfer to a ship. If a second refueling to that same ship is necessary, one has to exit the game and restart it.

I'm using version 0.1.4 of the fueltransfer mod, KSP 0.16, the only additional mod is Cart133.

+1. I'm using this along with the MMI Kethane mod which generates fuel. It would be great if I could do more than 1 transfer per instance if possible. But at least there is a workaround.

Release version 0.2.0!

http://rachelbrindle.com/ksp/FuelTransferModule.zip

http://rachelbrindle.com/ksp/FuelTransferModule-0.2.0.zip

sha1sum: 4ceb439add49d4e602570c93e68605e7cbceab1e

md5sum: 1e089ff339b3156cbf228fe595329540

0.2.0:

- Added KSPMM compatibility

- added interface IFuelSource - Non RCS/fueltanks can use this module now!

- Rewrote mostly everything.

0.1.4:

- No longer crashes when attempting to transfer RCS

0.1.3:

- Added highlighting of fuel tanks (hover mouse over the "+" button)

- Fixed empty tanks not working

- No longer able to overfill a tank

(Thanks Mirosta!)

0.1.2:

- Fixed bug where you generate infinite fuel by have the source and destination tanks the same.

0.1.1:

- No longer displays information for vessels > 50km away.

- Destination tank must have some amount of fuel in it. (Hopefully we can find a fix, as this is an incredibly annoying workaround for that bug)

0.1:

- Initial Release

This also fixes the "1 transfer per instance bug" and the rcs transfer bug that has been reported.

Edited by younata
typo.

Could you explain what caused the "1 transfer per instance bug"? (Just curious).

I honestly don't know. Prior to yesterday, the last time I had worked on the code was about two weeks ago. This was a major rewrite to add the IFuelSource interface (so that other plugins can implement a fuel source that can be transferred - [though, I'm fairly certain that if a plugin were to implement that, and the fuel in question wasn't... pretty much either RCS or regular fuel, then it wouldn't work. It's something that'll get fixed whenever other folks decide to use it]).

In fact, all I did yesterday was fix a few bugs in the rewrite, and then released that.

That said, it's probably some variable that gets set to null that shouldn't be (or, rather, a variable gets set to null, then we try to do stuff with/to it without checking that it's null - which causes a memory error, which causes the plugin to crash).

Release version 0.2.0!

http://rachelbrindle.com/ksp/FuelTransferModule.zip

http://rachelbrindle.com/ksp/FuelTransferModule-0.2.0.zip

sha1sum: 4ceb439add49d4e602570c93e68605e7cbceab1e

md5sum: 1e089ff339b3156cbf228fe595329540

This also fixes the "1 transfer per instance bug" and the rcs transfer bug that has been reported.

Still not working .... looks to me like the previous dll is in the .ZIP file. FuelTransferMod.dll in the downloaded files is dated 8/8

[EDIT] -FIXED!

I thought you needed BOTH parts on the "mother ship" - turns out that makes it fail.

perhaps worth mentioning in the release notes?

I take it, I must have the fueltransfer RCS tank on the "recipient" ship?

[/EDIT]

I have just started to give this mod a try (used version 0.2.0), and for some reason it's not working for me.

I have 2 craft close by the pad, one has a 1-Kerb pod+RCS+2 tanks & small engine.

The Fuel Transfer one has the Fuel Transfer pod, the modded fuel transfer RCS tank, another RCS tank & 2 fueltanks.

As you can see, all I get is the basic UI, which doesn't seem to want to be repositioned unlike MechJeb/other UI elements.

Clicking the "System Power" button makes it briefly brighten up. apart from that nothing else seems to happen!

I put the FuelTransferMod.dll in the plugins folder and both parts in the parts folder.

Anything I am doing stupendously wrong?

does this conflict with other plugins in some way? (I run MechJeb Cart, Escapeod, EscapeTower, explosive, hstwLaser, NavLights and PKSMultiJointObject currently)

Joe :cool:

Edited by Joe Pinball
found the answer!

[EDIT] -FIXED!

I thought you needed BOTH parts on the "mother ship" - turns out that makes it fail.

perhaps worth mentioning in the release notes?

I take it, I must have the fueltransfer RCS tank on the "recipient" ship?

[/EDIT]

I have just started to give this mod a try (used version 0.2.0), and for some reason it's not working for me.

I have 2 craft close by the pad, one has a 1-Kerb pod+RCS+2 tanks & small engine.

The Fuel Transfer one has the Fuel Transfer pod, the modded fuel transfer RCS tank, another RCS tank & 2 fueltanks.

As you can see, all I get is the basic UI, which doesn't seem to want to be repositioned unlike MechJeb/other UI elements.

Clicking the "System Power" button makes it briefly brighten up. apart from that nothing else seems to happen!

I put the FuelTransferMod.dll in the plugins folder and both parts in the parts folder.

Anything I am doing stupendously wrong?

does this conflict with other plugins in some way? (I run MechJeb Cart, Escapeod, EscapeTower, explosive, hstwLaser, NavLights and PKSMultiJointObject currently)

Joe :cool:

I should write a usage guide.

I'm in class, so I'll get screenshots later.

This assumes you're launching a ship (A) to go refuel another ship (B). It works when A is getting fuel from B, but this makes terminology easier.

Pick one of either the command pod, or the modified rcs tank. Not been tested with having both on the ship, and from what Joe is suggesting, it doesn't work if both are loaded up.

Once you've done that, construct your ship as normal, and get within 2000 meters of B. Select the type of fuel you want to transfer (as of this writing, either RCS or regular fuel), select the current ship (it's in purple) as the SOURCE ship. It will show a list of tanks it can take fuel from, select one. Next, go to the destination ship pane (one on the right), and select the destination ship. A list of tanks you can fill will show up. Select one. Then, go down to the slider, and slide to the amount of fuel (percentage of source tank) you want to transfer. Then, click the transfer button to transfer.

Younata, would you be willing to alter your mod in such a way that the contents of ZO2 tanks can also be transferred?

One of the downsides of the current KSP is i.m.h.o. the lack of dependency on life support (very unrealistic). I know it will be added some day by Squad but the ZO2 mod is a nice workaround until then.

Edited by TheCardinal

Possibly. I need to talk with the ZO2 person (people?) about integrating support for this. (It would require a change in their code, as well as a slight change in mine)

I'm still thinking about how to detect other modules that support my interface... Going to have a change in the IFuelSource interface to support this (changing FuelType from an int to a String is the current diff for that...)

Thanks! I do hope the fuel transfer mod will eventually become the mod for transferring all possible resources. It would be wastefull if such a mod would have to be created for each resource but i consider normal fuel, RCS and ZO2 the most important things to be transferrable.

Thanks! I do hope the fuel transfer mod will eventually become the mod for transferring all possible resources. It would be wastefull if such a mod would have to be created for each resource but i consider normal fuel, RCS and ZO2 the most important things to be transferrable.

Well, the way it currently works is that each mod would have to register with me what they are.

I'm changing it in the next release so that all they have to do is implement the IFuelSource interface, and FTM will handle everything else. I'm probably going to modify ZO2 myself, and then send them a pull request - just to demonstrate how it should be done. This would get done sometime this weekend.

Used this today to aid a misjudged orbit by adding fuel to the lower stages by taking it from reserve tanks that were meant to be for the lunar lander. I haven't used it to trade between ships yet but I am planning a Mid-Planetary Fueling station for 0.17 that will be located in Kerbin orbit. Great mod, but I do think that fuel transfer should not be instant and rather be an overtime process. (e.g 20L/s with Rocket Fuel, 10L/s with RCS Fuel)

Well, the way it currently works is that each mod would have to register with me what they are.

I'm changing it in the next release so that all they have to do is implement the IFuelSource interface, and FTM will handle everything else. I'm probably going to modify ZO2 myself, and then send them a pull request - just to demonstrate how it should be done. This would get done sometime this weekend.

yeah... that's not happening. The ZO2 people do not have their source code released in a way that encourages others to contribute.

Looked into getting the kethane plugin as an example project. Not them either.

Looked into the electrical energy plugin, couldn't even find the source link for them...

There don't appear to be any other fuel-type plugins, darn. I really wanted to have an example project for others to use.

Well look on the bright side! Your amazing mod is allowing everyone to refuel there craft!

When combined with rovers and float mods, this allows people to do very long expeditions without fuel worries!

Here's an album of me refuelling a ship that I sent across the eastern ocean, and is now en route to the south pole!

http://imgur.com/a/90tsV

The refuel rocket did have a bumpy landing, however I fixed the design and launched another one.

Edited by Asmosdeus

I could see this mod being HIGHLY useful when paired with the orbital construction mod, and mechjeb for stationkeeping.

Launch a spacedock on a SSTO, that way it reaches LKO or it's destination with lots of empty fuel tanks attached.

Then you can siphon fuel from an incoming cargo ship to refuel the station, or delibrately eject fuel tanks from the station to draw fuel out of whenever it runs low.

Not only can you refuel passing craft in that manner, but then the spacedock itself also remains fully fuelled in case you need to move it- such as raising it to a higher orbit to reduce clutter or even sending it off to other planets after it is heavily loaded with supplies.

O.k ... Look out for a new thread starting ... sometime soon (hopefully) Where you will be able to have floating refueling stations ... using this plug in to fill your ships ...:)

younata is already aware of it .. and has approved it ..:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.