mono.dll caused an Access Violation, no idea what mod it is

Basically, I get the mono.dll access violation crash every time I try to load up KSP with these mods. I've got absolutely no idea which one of them is outdated, since I've installed all of them from CKAN, and it said that all of them are compatible with 1.3, so as a result I have absolutely no idea which one of them is the one that breaks everything. Could anybody please help? I would have done the manual "remove all mods and add one per one until it breaks" myself, but Kerbal seems to also load for an hour on this setup, and only crashes at the very end, so it would take literal days to try and figure out which one it is.

Edited by DestinyPlayer

8 hours ago, DestinyPlayer said:

Basically, I get the mono.dll access violation crash every time I try to load up KSP with these mods. I've got absolutely no idea which one of them is outdated, since I've installed all of them from CKAN, and it said that all of them are compatible with 1.3, so as a result I have absolutely no idea which one of them is the one that breaks everything. Could anybody please help? I would have done the manual "remove all mods and add one per one until it breaks" myself, but Kerbal seems to also load for an hour on this setup, and only crashes at the very end, so it would take literal days to try and figure out which one it is.

Find each mods forum thread and then check that the version you have installed is actually for 1.3 and is the latest version. CKAN is good but it can get things wrong. 

19 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Find each mods forum thread and then check that the version you have installed is actually for 1.3 and is the latest version. CKAN is good but it can get things wrong. 

Did just that. Deleted everything where the version was either unknown or unupdated, everything else is completely up to date. Still crashes with the same error.

Current Modlist

Didn't get the actual crash log due to some checking with a side program to figure out specifically what is crashing the game, but from what it seemed it's still the same.

Later: Got a new one, same modlist.

Edited by DestinyPlayer

5 minutes ago, DestinyPlayer said:

Okay. I just exported CKAN's modlist, moved it to my laptop, and installed it there. The exact same mods, the exact same CKAN, the exact same KSP. On the laptop, KSP loaded perfectly. I am at a loss for words. What is going on.

When you uninstall mods through CKAN, it doesn't always clear out all files which can cause problems when mods patch things in that don't exist. I suspect that's the case here.

Just now, TheRagingIrishman said:

When you uninstall mods through CKAN, it doesn't always clear out all files which can cause problems when mods patch things in that don't exist. I suspect that's the case here.

The problem is, it was a clean install. I'll try to delete everything and clean install it once again when I get back on the PC.

Okay. I deleted the entire KSP folder. Then I proceeded to uninstall KSP from Steam, reinstall it again, copy it over into a separate folder, download a brand new CKAN exe, and used the exact same .ckan file that worked on my laptop. The exact same bloody crash. What the hell is going on? The base game starts up all right, even if it takes half an hour to load... Is there something with my hardware or something? Because both the laptop and the PC have the exact same version of Windows 7 on them so it can't possibly be software.

Edited by DestinyPlayer

52 minutes ago, Razor235 said:

Based on a quick search it might be Firespitter that's causing the issues.  I get a similar crash on 1.3.1, but not 1.3.0.  Unfortunately Firespitter isn't updated so we'll just have to wait.

no mods are updated to 1.3.1, it's a beta for testing the stock game not mods

Make a copy. Delete half the mods. Problem persists? Delete half again. Keep removing half until problem goes away. Once problem goes away you know it's in the last mods deleted; repeat the process with those. Within five or six attempts you should be able to identify the offending mod.

Example: start with mods:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ --> crash

ABCDEFGHIJKLM --> crash

ABCDEFG --> no crash, confirm:

HIJKLM --> crash

HIJ --> crash

IJ --> no crash

H --> crash

I would have done it that way from the very beginning. But it will take literal days to do that because modded KSP loads for... About two hours last time I checked with a stopwatch before crashing. That's why I asked if anybody knows what the problem is. But it feels like at this point, that's the only way.

Edited by DestinyPlayer

58 minutes ago, DestinyPlayer said:

I would have done it that way from the very beginning. But it will take literal days to do that because modded KSP loads for... About two hours last time I checked with a stopwatch before crashing. That's why I asked if anybody knows what the problem is. But it feels like at this point, that's the only way.

Try uninstalling all mods and then re-installing them one-by-one, @DestinyPlayer

Had the same problem. Still not solved. I will stick with my  backup 1.2.x for now.

However, it seems that 1.3 is VERY SENSITIVE to mods that are not updated. This wasn't all too bad for previous versions. 

Just a hunch. 

I really want to try out the new 1.3 mods out there but it won't let me :(. 

38 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Thank you for the suggestion, but sadly it didn't work. Still loads as slow as before. For some reason it spends the most time on sounds and textures. I did have a VirtualBox adapter, and turned it off.

6 minutes ago, Spraki said:

Had the same problem. Still not solved. I will stick with my  backup 1.2.x for now.

However, it seems that 1.3 is VERY SENSITIVE to mods that are not updated. This wasn't all too bad for previous versions. 

Just a hunch. 

I really want to try out the new 1.3 mods out there but it won't let me :(. 

The most annoying thing is that it does work on my laptop, with the exact same mods. There's just something about my PC it doesn't like.

As a sidenote: Could it be that KSP/Unity doesn't work well with a turned on VPN to Sweden that affects everything?

Edited by DestinyPlayer

Still would be good what causes the problem :). I am also a laptop user.

Ok. Simple answer: the mods. But it really feels like 1.3 must be played practically 'mod-less'.

I will have to test if 1.2.2 can use 1.3 mods :o. I really wanna try Alien Space Program mod :3.

5 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

VPNs just as several other 'virtual' network adapters (even when not in use) are notorious for causing that kind of slow down :/

Well duck a truck. It was indeed the VPN. I've gotten 1.2.2 and checking it right now with the (approximately) same mods but older versions, but I probably should do the proper debugging process on 1.3 now that the slowdown is over.

After a minute: What the hell. 1.2.2 crashed with the exact same error. Actually nevermind, I might have accidentally started up 1.3. Lemme check again.

In a moment: Yes, that was the problem. Checking for other incompatibilities.

Yes, 1.2.2 works. The only problem was that CKAN decided to do a stupid and download the 1.3 versions of RoverDude's mods.

Edited by DestinyPlayer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.