Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

21 hours ago, steve9728 said:

I was thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to add a self-destruct mechanism and a post-failure emergency return system consisting of releasing the parachute by detecting changes in air pressure. After all, something that can float so far and so high in the sky for so long must be more expensive than an ordinary car.

A leading theory at the moment is that it was meant to self-destruct, but that the destruction mechanism was faulty, which caused the balloon to drift further than intended. The Americans let it drift along to have a good look at it, and put a big hole in it before it headed out of their airspace.

The hissy fit thrown by Chinese diplomats after that suggests it was indeed of Chinese origin.

8 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

A leading theory at the moment is that it was meant to self-destruct, but that the destruction mechanism was faulty, which caused the balloon to drift further than intended.

Whether the self-destruct mechanism has failed remains to be seen. It's far more likely that it activated after the missile brought the balloon down - at least, it's how I'd design my spy balloon.

Because Occam's Razor says it's a spy balloon, and that the Chinese MoFA is going through the motions while having an absolute giggle off camera. All relatively harmless as far as diplomatic outrages go, since the vehicle was unmanned, low-energy, and the US is a big country.

Anyway, Proton with Elektro-L №4, launch successful, on its way to GSO.

https://ria.ru/20230205/meteosputnik-1849841646.html

7 hours ago, DDE said:

I don't think I've ever seen this close-up.

To shoot the balloon from below instead of sticking into it.

6 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Sad to hear this, interesting pieces of technology but to be fair they're totally impractical.

Practical in a shallow haven.

ANOTHER leak? I hate to sound conspiratorial but this isn't a coincidence. It's either gross misconduct while building the two craft or it's a sabotage. Also by a depressurization do they mean the cabins atmosphere was lost or are they talking about the loss of coolant in the tanks? What if one of those things just pops open completely next time? The crew would all die and the station would be lost.

As it's currently told, the previous Progress MS-21 which had been loaded with disposables, is depressurized and (before or after is unknown) its hatch is closed..

No word about the coolant, no word about the cabin (also its "cabin" is a cargo compartment).

Though, if it was the coolant, they would probably not seal the hatch.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Every beauty blogger from ua is aware of details even before any details have been published.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

As it's currently told, the previous Progress MS-21 which had been loaded with disposables, is depressurized and (before or after is unknown) its hatch is closed..

No word about the coolant, no word about the cabin (also its "cabin" is a cargo compartment).

Though, if it was the coolant, they would probably not seal the hatch.

And now it's confirmed

It seems that after all, the "beauty blogger" is a long time reliable source of information on the Russian space program as she has been for many years

Just now, Minmus Taster said:

Did MS-22 lose that much coolant? What effect is that going to have on the craft? And how the heck does this keep happening without someone looking a little further into this?

Micrometeorites have decided to have revenge on Roscosmos and will only hit the cooling systems on Soyuz service modules