ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

• 2 weeks later...

This feels sleazy

https://spacenews.com/tory-bruno-dod-should-block-buy-heavy-launch-services-as-supply-is-tight/

Shouldn't the shaky global economy lead to fewer launches in the near future?

Wasn't Russia's retreat from the commercial market a lot more gradual?

Does ULA merely want a more stable cash flow?

8 minutes ago, DDE said:

This feels sleazy

https://spacenews.com/tory-bruno-dod-should-block-buy-heavy-launch-services-as-supply-is-tight/

Shouldn't the shaky global economy lead to fewer launches in the near future?

Wasn't Russia's retreat from the commercial market a lot more gradual?

It makes demand and therefore production scheduling more predictable...

24 minutes ago, DDE said:

I mean honestly, yeah. That ULA may not have enough rockets for the wanted cadence is probably true, but Tory saying that SpaceX won't have either when they're launching nearly every 6 days is quite laughable

33 minutes ago, Beccab said:

I mean honestly, yeah. That ULA may not have enough rockets for the wanted cadence is probably true, but Tory saying that SpaceX won't have either when they're launching nearly every 6 days is quite laughable

ULA will have enough difficulty making good on the Amazon buys since they'll throw 2 engines away every time, and BO has not shown any sort of production cadence yet.

They are likely concerned that they could lose launches for lack of launchers. They won 60% of the contract, but what if the SF needs a launch soon and they have no vehicle?

8 minutes ago, tater said:

ULA will have enough difficulty making good on the Amazon buys since they'll throw 2 engines away every time, and BO has not shown any sort of production cadence yet.

They are likely concerned that they could lose launches for lack of launchers. They won 60% of the contract, but what if the SF needs a launch soon and they have no vehicle?

Yeah, the whole article is literally "We may not be able to hit our contractual obligations, you should pay us more"

It don't read it quite that cynically. It's more "Our services are popular, so DoD should get in early to make sure there's availability before everything is going up commercially."

Where it's a bit of a fib is that there isn't a global shortage of launch services. SpaceX have basically shown they can service any foreseeable number of commercial launches with Falcon 9 (albeit they may have to cut down on Starlink a bit).

And the idea of SpaceX having a launch scarcity when Starship comes online is laughable.

Just because everyone other than SpaceX is having a hard time keeping up doesn't mean there's a launch supply shortage.

• 1 month later...

What sorts of concepts was ULA toying with in 2009-2011?

For a fictional world I'm working on, I am trying to use proposals from the era just after Constellation got cancelled, and there are no tensions so the reason for Vulcan existing in the way it does isn't a thing. I'm looking for something with a payload to LTO of 11,000 kg or so.

Wikipedia says "ULA looked at numerous proposals to replace Atlas V and Delta IV Heavy since the company's founding in 2006" but I have no idea where to find them.

If possible, I'm trying to find the proposal they thought they might go with at the time, or a main series of proposals, rather than radical concepts.