Planet-type question

p1t1o

Thoughts?   

6 members have voted

1. 1. Quick poll, just pick the nearest option to your opinion.

• No, because too unrealistic.
    • No, because too problematic to program/mod.
    • No, because not interesting or fun.
    • Yes, because cool!
    • I dont like these choices, see forum post I made.

Possible to model a planet which has large, cavernous spaces beneath the crust?

Not a realistic idea, as far as I know, but as realistic as planets of the size and density that we have. 

Im imagining arriving at a planet, locating a large hole in its crust (kilometres-scale) and descending several kilometres into a huge underground space.

This space could be explored, and moving around within it, a new and exciting challenge!

If there was an atmosphere, you would benefit from increased density, making underground flight interesting.

Manouvering in vacuum inside such a space would also be a new experience.

Im not seeing it as a full, concentric, world-within-a-world, just very large caverns with a large opening to the surface.

Thoughts?

Like this but much bigger:

031a97226b68fe2f09460324393a1a31--sinks-

Edited by p1t1o

@p1t1o It's very possible to create a planet with very steep cliffs and enclosed valleys, but it's not possible to have hollow places under the terrain. Caves and tunnels cannot be done.

Increased atmo density within the valleys can be done by offseting the terrain height but then everywhere except within the terrain would be x kilometers above sea level and that has the potential to disorient some players and attract needless complaints about landing and false altitude readings.

10 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Possible to model a planet which has large, cavernous spaces beneath the crust?

Not a realistic idea, as far as I know, but as realistic as planets of the size and density that we have. 

Im imagining arriving at a planet, locating a large hole in its crust (kilometres-scale) and descending several kilometres into a huge underground space.

This space could be explored, and moving around within it, a new and exciting challenge!

If there was an atmosphere, you would benefit from increased density, making underground flight interesting.

Manouvering in vacuum inside such a space would also be a new experience.

Im not seeing it as a full, concentric, world-within-a-world, just very large caverns with a large opening to the surface.

Thoughts?

Like this but much bigger:

031a97226b68fe2f09460324393a1a31--sinks-

I do try to do it :)

You technically cannot make terrain that is concave.  But there are workarounds: 

6L7VdoS.jpg

Behold my secret cave hideout on spud! (plane for scale)

Spud uses a tylo template that borrows the cave PQS, and with a little land management (added a flat spot) there it is... Shhh don't tell everyone :)

Afaik, it's possible to create a static object for Kerbal Konstruct: a 2 km-large hill with hollows inside.
Or a castle with a dungeon.
And a pack of such objects close to each other.

Also somebody was creating a mod about bunkers, with huge internal space under a small entrance laying on a planet surface.

Also the photo looks like the famous Mohole.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 10/2/2017 at 8:57 PM, MrChumley said:

You technically cannot make terrain that is concave.  But there are workarounds: 

6L7VdoS.jpg

Behold my secret cave hideout on spud! (plane for scale)

Spud uses a tylo template that borrows the cave PQS, and with a little land management (added a flat spot) there it is... Shhh don't tell everyone :)

Okay. I'll only tell @Everybody . (post count 0, last visited 2012, I don't think I'm doing any bad stuff)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.