Ship rotates on EVA

Hello All, I'm new to the forums and just getting into the game. 

One thing I can't get right is the EVA over Kerbil. When I press EVA he gets out but immediately the rocket starts to turn. This makes manoeuvring extremely difficult as the rocket is constantly turning.

All the tutorials show it dead steady when he gets out. I have tried pressing T to stabilise the ship but it doesn't stop rotating. Can anyone help me out please?

I find that unless you have a probe core with SAS on the pod, especially the Mk1; it tends to start rotating the second you EVA due to phantom physics forces from the Kerbal holding the ladder. Then with no one inside the pod capable of SAS there is nothing to stop it from rotating.

I don't think it was always like this; but I can't remember what version I started noticing it in.

Either design a probe core into it to hold it steady, or time warp as suggested above.

These are all good answers but none address the underlying issue. Even with SAS turned off, there should be no reason why the craft should start rotating unless there's an external force applied. The mere act of going EVA and letting go of the ladder does not exert torque over a ship.

My guess is that OP is using the Mk-1 capsule with a part attached to the top that is slightly clipping through the hatch. This situation WILL induce a force on the capsule when a Kerbal goes EVA (the Kerbal also is sometimes flung away at high speed in these instances). Usual culprits are batteries, probe cores and other components placed on top of the capsule (the small parachute is safe to use, never had a problem with that part in particular). Use the offset tool with fine control (press 'c') to move the part ever so slightly so that it's not fitting so tight against the capsule. This usually fixes the issue.

Edited by A_name

Thanks for all the answers, I think it was the small heatshield that I put on underneath the top parachute as A_name posted, Jeb seemed to have his head resting on it! Just boosted quickly into orbit without it and it's rock solid.

My SAS stays on when I EVA too. I can't find a probe core anywhere. What section is it under?

Edited by facet edge

• 6 years later...

Can confirm. I was rendezvousing (is that a word?) with a satellite, and as I exited for the EVA, my ship shot off at a decent rate. I had a seismometer just above the hatch. Moved that, sorted it. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DareDrop said:

Could that have something to do with this? In this case it's the Kerbal that gos spinning out of control>

So I've run into a problem, I've got my engineer on EVA, I've got my construction window open,  and I'm ready to move a part from the storage container over to my Kerbal and as soon as I do that everything blows up. I lose total control over my engineer, he freezes and goes drifting and tumbling off into space. 

What seems odd is that the space station or the spaceship seems pretty stable in orbit but the engineer almost appears as if he's going in a retro direction keeping pace with rotation of the planet. It's almost like he was planet side and everything else is in space.

Sometimes during eva construction the kerbal is pushed by the part they are picking  but in my experience those are noticeable but gentle push. What you describe seems way more dramatic. 

In regard to loss of control, if memory serve me well, you need to exit construction mode to move your kerbal.