Proxima Centauri

Diche Bach

1 minute ago, Diche Bach said:

So you feel that, there really is ZERO reason to go to space, other than the wonder?

There are a few other reasons but they're as equally ... intangible. Monetarily, going to space makes very little sense, although some futurists think otherwise (Isaac Arthur thinks asteroid mining will be viable). If you have an alternative to capitalism (or something else) that provides the necessary social structures and reasons for humans to move away from Earth then you can postulate pretty much anything, I suppose. The Orion's Arm universe hinges on a powerful AI exiling most humans from Earth, along with nano-disasters, post-scarcity economies, and a long history of space exploration leading up to the exiling in order to get humans going interstellar. How plausible is it? Who knows?

6 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Man, you have time, @KerikBalm :-)

Guys, it is completely unrealistic to get anything more than surface dust even from a near asteroid. Maybe one day in the future, but not foreseeable. And even then it'll cost billions (estimating inflation) for a homeopathic dose and is a complete folly energy wise.

Developing technologies for recycling stuff is much more effective in every respect. Of course, nasa will make you believe that we urgently need it, that's what they are paid for ;-)

Maybe, but this is all stuff I've mentioned before, so I didn't need to look this stuff up and read it* all before replying, it was already in my head. I must have mentioned the faint young sun and natural fission reactions a few times in the last week in other threads already.

* well, I did need to read the pages for proxima centauri and proxima b to get the exact numbers for luminosity, orbital radius and period, etc.

As for asteroid mining, slight nudges can bring earth crossing asteroids to earth. They estimate that some of these are worth trillions for their rare-earth metal content (ignoring the supply and demand aspect, and you'd flood the market with these metals, and the price will plummet). On the other hand, there's the "Orbit is halfway to anywhere" idea, and moving stuff from one asteroid to another would be dirt cheap because the dV requirements are so low. Thrust requirements would also be really low, so high Isp, low thrust schemes would work fine.

A relatively compact fusion reactor (within the foreseable, if not near, future) would make this dV easy to achieve as long as there is no TWR restriction.

23 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

So no elements that are scarce in the Sol System which could ostensibly be abundant in another system. You seem pretty confident on that and I'm certainly in no position to dispute it. I suppose it is possible there is something yet to be discovered? or that there is something you are overlooking?

Well, the same process that gave us our heavier elements (supernovae) wouldn't be limited to one system. Supernovae are huge, and not so uncommon. We can use spectroscopy to see the elements present in distant stars, their makeup isn't so different from ours, although many have less heavy elements than we do. Even if we seem to have above average heavy element content, our system doesn't really lack for the lighter elements (mostly concentrated in gas giants).

Buuuuttttt........ there are some hypothetical heavy elements that we haven't found anywhere, and so far haven't been able to synthesize:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_stability

the island of stability is the prediction that a set of heavy nuclides with a near magic number of protons and neutrons will temporarily reverse the trend of decreasing stability in elements heavier than uranium. Although predictions of the exact location differ somewhat, Klaus Blaum expects the island of stability to occur in the atomic mass region near the nuclide 300
Ubn

.[1] Estimates about the amount of stability on the island are usually around a half-life of minutes or days, with some predictions expecting half-lives of millions of years.[2]

Although the nuclear shell model has existed since the 1960s, the existence of such superheavy, relatively stable nuclides has not been demonstrated. Like the rest of the superheavy elements, the nuclides on the island of stability have never been found in nature, and so must be created artificially in a nuclear reaction to be studied. However, scientists have not found a way to carry out such a reaction.

It should be possible for a ground of super-heavy elements to exist, that we so far have not observed anywhere in the universe... its not my expertise, maybe they just aren't really common, and since we don't know exactly what we're looking for, the evidence gets lost along the spectra of what we know.

If we were to discover that somehow the centauri system had naturally occuring super-heavy elements of this "fabled" island of stability, then that would be a huge motivation to go there.

Such super heavy elements would also allow for those super dense planets that you mentioned.... but I'm not sure how they would form. I guess like the other heavy elements, it would have to be from a supernova... but I think these super heavy elements (despite being "stable) would still be pretty easy to split with a neutron like U235 on steroids. Also, stability is relative... 10,000 years would be stable compared to many elements we synthesize that last for tiny amounts of time... like nanoseconds or something

4 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Maybe, but this is all stuff I've mentioned before, so I didn't need to look this stuff up and read it* all before replying, it was already in my head. I must have mentioned the faint young sun and natural fission reactions a few times in the last week in other threads already.

* well, I did need to read the pages for proxima centauri and proxima b to get the exact numbers for luminosity, orbital radius and period, etc.

As for asteroid mining, slight nudges can bring earth crossing asteroids to earth. They estimate that some of these are worth trillions for their rare-earth metal content (ignoring the supply and demand aspect, and you'd flood the market with these metals, and the price will plummet). On the other hand, there's the "Orbit is halfway to anywhere" idea, and moving stuff from one asteroid to another would be dirt cheap because the dV requirements are so low. Thrust requirements would also be really low, so high Isp, low thrust schemes would work fine.

A relatively compact fusion reactor (within the foreseable, if not near, future) would make this dV easy to achieve as long as there is no TWR restriction.

Well, the same process that gave us our heavier elements (supernovae) wouldn't be limited to one system. Supernovae are huge, and not so uncommon. We can use spectroscopy to see the elements present in distant stars, their makeup isn't so different from ours, although many have less heavy elements than we do. Even if we seem to have above average heavy element content, our system doesn't really lack for the lighter elements (mostly concentrated in gas giants).

Buuuuttttt........ there are some hypothetical heavy elements that we haven't found anywhere, and so far haven't been able to synthesize:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_stability

It should be possible for a ground of super-heavy elements to exist, that we so far have not observed anywhere in the universe... its not my expertise, maybe they just aren't really common, and since we don't know exactly what we're looking for, the evidence gets lost along the spectra of what we know.

If we were to discover that somehow the centauri system had naturally occuring super-heavy elements of this "fabled" island of stability, then that would be a huge motivation to go there.

Such super heavy elements would also allow for those super dense planets that you mentioned.... but I'm not sure how they would form. I guess like the other heavy elements, it would have to be from a supernova... but I think these super heavy elements (despite being "stable) would still be pretty easy to split with a neutron like U235 on steroids. Also, stability is relative... 10,000 years would be stable compared to many elements we synthesize that last for tiny amounts of time... like nanoseconds or something

KerikBalm! You are a gosh darned hero! Unless you tell me otherwise, your namesake is gonna be one of the Yoda-like "friend of protagonist" characters . . . no where near far enough into writing to know for sure who or what that will be, but it will happen as long as you don't mind!

7 minutes ago, regex said:

There are a few other reasons but they're as equally ... intangible. Monetarily, going to space makes very little sense, although some futurists think otherwise (Isaac Arthur thinks asteroid mining will be viable). If you have an alternative to capitalism (or something else) that provides the necessary social structures and reasons for humans to move away from Earth then you can postulate pretty much anything, I suppose. The Orion's Arm universe hinges on a powerful AI exiling most humans from Earth, along with nano-disasters, post-scarcity economies, and a long history of space exploration leading up to the exiling in order to get humans going interstellar. How plausible is it? Who knows?

If we can imagine an economy that doesn't depend on a planet.... ie manufacturing hubs in the asteroid belt, mining of volatiles in the outer solar system... then its not hard to imagine a point where resource competition becomes pretty intense. In that case I can see people that want to flee the scarce resource availability in this solar system, for a new one. I wouldn't imagine some really really wealthy person doing this... if they already control a large portion of the solar system's resources from the comfort of their home, why would they give that all up for a frontier life?

I imagine some more eccentric or adventurous "medium rich" people who see they can't really compete with the super-rich anymore, whom will probably be consolidating the smaller operations, and rather than sell out decide to ship out and go somewhere new.

We wouldn't go interstellar to *alleviate* resource scarcity here, a select few would go interstellar to *escape* resource scarcity here.

Just now, KerikBalm said:

If we can imagine an economy that doesn't depend on a planet.... ie manufacturing hubs in the asteroid belt, mining of volatiles in the outer solar system... then its not hard to imagine a point where resource competition becomes pretty intense. In that case I can see people that want to flee the scarce resource availability in this solar system, for a new one. I wouldn't imagine some really really wealthy person doing this... if they already control a large portion of the solar system's resources from the comfort of their home, why would they give that all up for a frontier life?

I imagine some more eccentric or adventurous "medium rich" people who see they can't really compete with the super-rich anymore, whom will probably be consolidating the smaller operations, and rather than sell out decide to ship out and go somewhere new.

We wouldn't go interstellar to *alleviate* resource scarcity here, a select few would go interstellar to *escape* resource scarcity here.

And PRISONERS! There has to be at least one faction with elements of dystopian inhumanity and ethical decay that exploits its "criminals" by giving them a choice: (a) 40 years in the jug on Ryker's Island; or (b) have this permanent security bracelet installed and agree to a 20 year "Off-World Pioneer Contract" . . .

3 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Right, but the usual problem in "hard" sci-fi is getting to the point where we're mining asteroids and having a solar-system-wide economy, and doing it in a relatively short amount of time on a human scale.

1 minute ago, regex said:

Right, but the usual problem in "hard" sci-fi is getting to the point where we're mining asteroids and having a solar-system-wide economy, and doing it in a relatively short amount of time on a human scale.

Really? That part doesn't seem so hard to conceive to me. Like KB said, small dV needed to bring some of them into orbits that are more proximal to Earth. Granted some pretty big risks there I suppose . . . would really suck if you accidentally exterminated all life on Earth by inadvertently bumping 15 Psyche into the Earth . . . I was under the impression it just hasn't "clicked" with anyone with enough vision and understanding to realize what a bonanza they might unleash. I can tend to say some mean things about Elon, but in truth I am not sure if he is duplicitous or just naive. If he REALLY wanted to spark a "Making Humanity a MultiPlanetary Species" rush, tugging a pile of asteroid loot back close to Earth so he could sell rights to mine it or something along those lines seems far more sensible that rushing headlong for Mars. Get every El Presidente and Premier and Representative on Earth clamoring about the marvels of a glut of indium, ruthenium, etceterenium and you'd probably find the political and fiscal will to make Mars happen would come right along very nicely too. That is my view anyway.

I mean com'n what could it actually cost to get a treasure trove nudged over here closer? A few hundred million??

Yes, that is exactly the point, we are running in circles.

You mention a fusion reactor, so that might be in 50 to 100 years, maybe later. I just read a text about the state of fusion research.

Our economy does depend on a planet and it will not change for the next two generations (2*25years).

Nobody can "nudge" an asteroid, maybe in 20 years. And a small nudge needs a long time for an outcome, we know that, don't we.

Fusion is being researched, spaceships are being constructed, built or just planned. Right now, there is nothing economically to gain in space, only to spend. Science is a different thing, though, but even there i am very relaxed as to man in space. I would guess that we can get a lot more out of the telescopes being planned or under construction. A Mars trip would be nice, but i don't see it for the next 20 years. I may be wrong, i hope so.

5 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

... small dV needed to bring some of them into orbits ...

That is a misunderstanding. He said to "nudge" them our way. To bring them in orbit you need a lot of deltaV, all the v-infinity * mass of an asteroid is clearly beyond everything we can imagine to bring such a rock in orbit. A small stone of a few hundred tons, maybe. For a kg of rare earths ? Uneconomical.

Edited by Green Baron

Ah well I guess I was suffering a fairly serious misunderstanding . . . So I suppose that in situ is the way that is going to have to go, which is admittedly a longer supply chain, more fragile, and less profitable.

Although one idea that does occur to me: pick a sizeable one, attach a solar-powered propulsion sort of thing (a low thrust but effectively infinite dV propulsion system powered by solar power), and with good redundant robotic brains and communications, and begin the multi-years long process of "tugging" it where you want it?

6 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

You mention a fusion reactor, so that might be in 50 to 100 years, maybe later. I just read a text about the state of fusion research.

Our economy does depend on a planet and it will not change for the next two generations (2*25years).

I did exclude the *near* future. It might be sooner than you think though given that there are a number of groups pursing more promising concepts than those damned tokomaks.

5 minutes ago, regex said:

Yes. Where's the economic model to set up space-based infrastructure when Earth's crustal resources are already abundant enough to meet our needs?

Maybe something similar to escaping the solar system. Maybe some eccentric billionaire just wants to. As wealth gets more and more concentrated in the hands of a few... some of those few will have the resources to do it. Economics often fails because... well... people aren't always rational. Unlike going interstellar, at least a rich person or company would have some ability to access these new resources without leaving their home behind.

16 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

And PRISONERS! There has to be at least one faction with elements of dystopian inhumanity and ethical decay that exploits its "criminals" by giving them a choice: (a) 40 years in the jug on Ryker's Island; or (b) have this permanent security bracelet installed and agree to a 20 year "Off-World Pioneer Contract" . . .

Well, the medium-rich person who is financing the interstellar ship (and who will presumably be a passenger on it) likely doesn't want to work on his own. So why not bring slaves err prisoners. Even if they aren't prisoners... (S)He could say "its my ship, I can charge you whatever I want for the life support and shelter, my fee is 100% of what you produce"... the workers/slaves/prisoners would get O2, food, and water. The ship owner gets everything else. The system becomes his/her family's massive fiefdom.

2 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

Although one idea that does occur to me: pick a sizeable one, attach a solar-powered propulsion sort of thing (a low thrust but effectively infinite dV propulsion system powered by solar power), and with good redundant robotic brains and communications, and begin the multi-years long process of "tugging" it where you want it?

What's the launch cost of the intercept craft? Development cost? Entire personnel and facilities cost over the life of the program? How big is it? How long will this take? What backup plans are available? What's the worst-case scenario and how to insure against it?

More importantly though, what's the expected ROI? When is the expected ROI? Are the shareholders up for investing in that?

4 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

Ah well I guess I was suffering a fairly serious misunderstanding . . . So I suppose that in situ is the way that is going to have to go, which is admittedly a longer supply chain, more fragile, and less profitable.

Well, its possible a little nudge to the right asteroid at the right time could get it captured with a small amount of dV, if one uses the moon for a gravity assist... which they certainly would do. The difference between escape velocity and an AP out to the moon isn't very much, and I would think it could easily be supplied by a grav assist

5 minutes ago, regex said:

What's the launch cost of the intercept craft? Development cost? Entire personnel and facilities cost over the life of the program? How big is it? How long will this take? What backup plans are available? What's the worst-case scenario and how to insure against it?

More importantly though, what's the expected ROI? When is the expected ROI? Are the shareholders up for investing in that?

All great questions! Maybe Jeff Bezos is working on that!? :D

I love you guys!

GB and Reg: highly unlikely.

Me: Ah crap, well I guess I didn't think of that . . .

KB: Well, there is a theory of a magical island of stability that teeters right on the edge of science fiction/fact . . . ! :D

ADDIT: and about those magical heavy elements . . . I'll have to read this a couple times for it to sink in (and consult other basic primers to refresh knowledge of simple concepts) but, short takeaway: IF such things were to be found in a distant place like Proxima:

1. What would they be useful for?

2. Where would they "be" (in the planet I assume?)

3. Roughly how much relative worth would they have?

Edited by Diche Bach

5 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

All great questions! Maybe Jeff Bezos is working on that!? :D

Sure, but this is why I tend to emphasize more nebulous reasons to be "out there" than economics. If you want people to go to Proxima Centauri in a story then religious reasons make as much sense as anything else. @KerikBalm has some great ideas above regarding competition as well, but they don't involve trading reasons, which really don't make much sense unless you have accessible-to-the-common-person-FTL-travel, like Empire or Star Wars...

Edited by regex

Oh hell yes! Extended periodic table

Element 118, oganesson, is the last element that has been synthesized. The next two elements, elements 119 and 120, should form an 8s series and be an alkali and alkaline earth metal respectively. Beyond element 120, the superactinide series is expected to begin, when the 8s electrons and the filling 8p1/2, 7d3/2, 6f5/2, and 5g7/2 subshells determine the chemistry of these elements. Complete and accurate CCSD calculations are not available for elements beyond 122 because of the extreme complexity of the situation: the 5g, 6f, and 7d orbitals should have about the same energy level, and in the region of element 160 the 9s, 8p3/2, and 9p1/2 orbitals should also be about equal in energy. This will cause the electron shells to mix so that the block concept no longer applies very well, and will also result in novel chemical properties that will make positioning these elements in a periodic table very difficult. For example, element 164 is expected to mix characteristics of the elements of group 10, 12, 14, and 18.[11] . . .

Theoretical interest in the chemistry of unhexquadium is largely motivated by theoretical predictions that it, especially the isotope 482Uhq (with 164 protons and 318 neutrons), would be at the center of a hypothetical second island of stability (the first being centered on copernicium, particularly the isotopes 291Cn, 293Cn, and 296Cn which are expected to have half-lives of centuries or millennia).[16][17][18]

Elements 165 (unhexpentium) and 166 (unhexhexium), the last two 7d metals, should behave similarly to alkali and alkaline earth metals when in the +1 and +2 oxidation states respectively. The 9s electrons should have ionization energies comparable to those of the 3s electrons of sodiumand magnesium, due to relativistic effects causing the 9s electrons to be much more strongly bound than non-relativistic calculations would predict. Elements 165 and 166 should normally exhibit the +1 and +2 oxidation states respectively, although the ionization energies of the 7d electrons are low enough to allow higher oxidation states like +3 for element 165. The oxidation state +4 for element 166 is less likely, creating a situation similar to the lighter elements in groups 11 and 12 (particularly gold and mercury)

My chemistry/physics is far too rudimentary for me to move or shake with this stuff. But I can wing it enough to see there is AMPLE "Tinny" Sci-Fi grist for the mill here!

Thanks to all of you for your feedback and suggestions! Given most popular compute games have large bosomed protagonists mitigating major bullet wound trauma by popping pills and injecting "StimPacks!" I may have already devoted more thought to keeping this yarn "hard" than is salutary, much less "necessary" to sell units. But I feel like trying to keep it harder and deciding quite consciously where the deus ex elements come into play is better (or at least more suited to my style) than just winging it entirely. I feel like I've got plenty of material to work with now!

@regex: Okayokay.

46 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

IF such things were to be found in a distant place like Proxima:

1. What would they be useful for?

To support the local people. Be they endemic or neophytes.

2. Where would they "be" (in the planet I assume?)

The heavier, the farther down.

3. Roughly how much relative worth would they have?

7 bars of gold pressed latinum ?

Too muc ? ... 6 ?

Supply & demand ... if there was a bad season ... hey, you want to write a scifi, i am not doing your work !:sticktongue:

Edited by Green Baron

Well given that

12 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

@regex: Okayokay.

To support the local people. Be they endemic or neophytes.

The heavier, the farther down.

7 bars of gold pressed latinum ?

Too muc ? ... 6 ?

Supply & demand ... if there was a bad season ... hey, you want to write a scifi, i am not doing your work !:sticktongue:

Well . . . given that Unhexquadium

. . . should be a soft metal like mercury, and metallic unhexquadium should have a high melting point as it is predicted to bond covalently. . . .Due to the lanthanide, actinide, and superactinide contractions, unhexquadium should have a metallic radius of only 158 pm, very close to that of the much lighter magnesium, despite its being expected to have an atomic weight of around 474 u, about 19.5 times as much as that of magnesium.[5] This small radius and high weight cause it to be expected to have an extremely high density of around 46 g·cm−3, over twice that of osmium, currently the most dense element known, at 22.61 g·cm−3; unhexquadium should be the second most dense element in the first 172 elements in the periodic table, with only its neighbor unhextrium (element 163) being more dense (at 47 g·cm−3).[5] Metallic unhexquadium should be quite stable, as the 8s and 8p1/2 electrons are very deeply buried in the electron core and only the 7d electrons are available for bonding.

Yeah! I think I got it from here! :)

7 hours ago, Diche Bach said:

My cunning attempt to pick your brains for the sake of my own fiction is now probably blatantly obvious, though I don't think I was TOO cryptic about it at the outset.

I suppose I can continue to solicit feedback on topics that are divergent to "Proxima Centuari" without feeling I'm taking my own thread too far off topic eh?

So . . . Alpha A and Alpha B! How about those beauties!? Damn, and "Proxima Rising" had such a ring to it too . . .

Let me ask you (any of you! who might have any valuable insight): what natural resources might either of the two alpha systems have in sufficient abundance that the first probes discoveries (hinting at the abundances) would unleash a cavalcade of additional probes as well as the enormous impetus necessary to actually get a fiscally-oriented exploitation expedition going?

I'm not inclined to include a "garden planet just waiting for eager colonists to arrive and turn it into New Earth" sort of scenario. Rather more of a "Antarctica/Spitzbergen like planet with an atmosphere (at "sea level") akin to being at 3000m on Earth . . . limited fauna, and a narrow semi-temperate equatorial zone where summer daytime temperatures may get up to 20 Celsius. In other words, a harsh but survivable place (as long as you keep your oxygen bottle handy and/or have spent enough time acclimating while also staying in low altitude zones).

What abundance of natural resources could you imagine driving efforts to establish presence in such a place?

I can't think of any natural resources that would spur a Centuri Rush (other than a confirmed Earth-like paradise planet for colonization). But you could create a gold rush to Alpha Centauri system if the initial probe finds amazing abandoned alien technology, free for the taking to whomever gets there first.

Edited by Brotoro

19 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

I can't think of any natural resources that would spur a Centuri Rush (other than a confirmed Earth-like paradise planet for colonization). But you could create a gold rush to Alpha Centauri system if the initial probe finds amazing abandoned alien technology, free for the taking to whomever gets there first.

Pretty sure I'm going with Unhexquadium, a hypothetical element that would be very dense and useful. Anyway, the extended periodic table

1 hour ago, DAL59 said:

It would take quite a while to get to Trappist One.  

http://www.lunarsail.com/LightSail/rit-1.pdf

If memory serves, 1,560,000 years is what I calculated based on the speed Juno attained (ballpark of our current "best speed"), but my math could be screwed up. Reckon their time frame must better than that since I noticed reference of "0.21 c" in there?

Juno's speed km/hr 265,000
Juno's speed km/sec 73.61111111
Speed of light km/sec 299,792,458
Juno's speed expressed as a proportion of the speed of light 0.0000246%
above value rounded to  0.000025
light years to Trappist 39
light years to Proxima b 4.2

years of Juno travel to Trappist 1,560,000.0
years of Juno travel to Proxima b 168,000.0

I suppose a laser sail design can just keep accelerating as long as their's power in the grid back on Earth? Seems a _bit_ hard to imagine a laser beam maintaining unbroken line of sight and no breach in power for the many years of acceleration and the method for deceleration they describe in that abstract (and others I've read) is perplexing to mere social scientists like me.

Just to be clear... I don't think there is any reason to think that anywhere nearby would have elements in this expected"island of stability". However, as far as hard-sci fi MacGuffins go, to me a deposit of these things sounds better than "infinity stones" or "dilithium crystals" or whatever.

Its important to note that this is still operating in the unknown, which could mean any story could be horribly dated once it is known... as per the wikipedia page again:

Estimates about the amount of stability on the island are usually around a half-life of minutes or days, with some predictions expecting half-lives of millions of years.[2]

If its millions of years, then nothing will be left now, given that proxima b is going to be 4-5 billion years old. Any of these exotic elements would need to be newly synthesized then... and I don't think you want to put alien technology on the planet.

Later in the article...:

The half-lives of nuclei in the island of stability itself are unknown since none of the nuclides that would be "on the island" have been observed. Many physicists think they are relatively short, on the order of minutes or days.[2] Some theoretical calculations indicate that their half-lives may be long, on the order of 109 years.[15]

If we take the most optimistic calculation of on the order of 10^9 years, then that's going to last a bit longer than U235, and there could still be significant amounts (supposed one started with significant amounts).... but this is wildly optimistic... and I'm still not exactly sure what one would even do with these heavier elements. So its dense? ok.... it could release a lot of energy through fission? Those are two properties that are also attractive about Uranium. We use uranium 235 to make power, and uranium 238 as kinetic penetrators in ammunition. Any of these super heavy elements would be far to rare to simply use them to make bullets. If we're going interstellar... I doubt we'd just want a new fission fuel, and again, it seems that it would be too rare to just split in a fission reaction. So what would we do with these elements if we could mine them? I don't really know.... but they would be something that is really rare that we can't get here.

I don't see why we'd be able to get them there either... but if that is your only "handwaving", then I suppose its better than a sci-fi series that uses handwavium for FTL travel, and the handwaving is used to allow for interstellar travel, rather than to motivate people to untertake extremely difficult slower than light interstellar travel.

Edited by KerikBalm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.