Better support for scaling, especially for 4K

4K displays are starting to become more common, requiring scaling in KSP in excess of the 150% built into the UI settings to be useable.

Although you can set the UI in the settings file to 200+ percent, various UI anomalies start to show up, such as the funds indicator in the KSC view vanishing all together, and the center of the navball going dark (it's like zooming in too far on an EVA Kerbal).

Also, and most grievous, the orbit view display information should scale to what the UI setting is set to, and it's not.
In orbit view, the apoapsis, pariapsis, node, and interception point info, etc. is impossible to read on 4K, it's just too small.
That is my biggest pet peeve, it makes the game practically unplayable in 4K. :(

There are also other text areas, such as the info box in the tracking station that are also impossible to read on 4k.

Edited by Starfire70

9 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

In the meanwhile you can use this workaround: Use the 1920x1080 resolution. That will scale fullscreen, and you can then read everything again

Right, of course, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a 4K display. :)

The good thing is that the mod KER has very flexible text scaling options & displays most of this information in table format, except for NODE and INTERCEPTION POINT. Does anyone know if there is a mod or of a way to display rendezvous interception information (specifically time to intercept point 1 and 2, closest approach of intercept point 1 and 2) in table format? If I can find that, at least I'll be able to plot rendezvous without getting out the Windows magnifier. :wink:

Edited by Starfire70

13 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

Right, of course, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a 4K display. :)

Of course it defeats the purpose of 4K :). Playing KSP on a GTX1080 also defeats the purpose of a having a small supercomputer as a gaming rig, KSP won't make use of those extra resources like most AAA games do :).

Do you really see pixel edges on 1920 resolution with enough anti-ailaising? :wink:

Edited by Blaarkies

As @Blaarkies stated, setting the resolution to 1920x1080 is a short workaround, with max anti aliasing enabled, the pixel near hard edges will get blended so it will almost look as good as 4k. 
In KSP you'll barely see the difference, unless you're playing on a 80" screen. Games like Battlefield, Far Cry, Assassins Creed are more vulnerable for these changes, since they are much more graphically focused and have much more objects with sharp edges. But even than, with max anti aliasing enabled you have a hard time to spot the real difference. 
For now, it's a workaround untill squad fixes it. 

12 hours ago, DrLicor said:

As @Blaarkies stated, setting the resolution to 1920x1080 is a short workaround, with max anti aliasing enabled, the pixel near hard edges will get blended so it will almost look as good as 4k. 
In KSP you'll barely see the difference, unless you're playing on a 80" screen. Games like Battlefield, Far Cry, Assassins Creed are more vulnerable for these changes, since they are much more graphically focused and have much more objects with sharp edges. But even than, with max anti aliasing enabled you have a hard time to spot the real difference. 
For now, it's a workaround untill squad fixes it. 

130" projection screen actually. :wink: What can I say, I'm KSP-obsessed (aren't we all?) and I've spared no expense in getting the most powerful CPU and highest resolution display for it to try and get as close to a realistic experience as possible.
When I switch from 4K to 1080p, I see a very real drop in how 'good' it looks (subjective judgement of course). It's slightly more convincing that I'm looking out a huge picture window with 4K.
I'll try maxing out the anti-aliasing on 1080p, but I'm skeptical that smoothing pixels at a lower resolution will equate to a native higher resolution. Thanks! :)

10 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

130" projection screen actually. :wink: What can I say, I'm KSP-obsessed (aren't we all?) and I've spared no expense in getting the most powerful CPU and highest resolution display for it to try and get as close to a realistic experience as possible.
When I switch from 4K to 1080p, I see a very real drop in how 'good' it looks (subjective judgement of course). It's slightly more convincing that I'm looking out a huge picture window with 4K.
I'll try maxing out the anti-aliasing on 1080p, but I'm skeptical that smoothing pixels at a lower resolution will equate to a native higher resolution. Thanks! :)

:o
In that case I fully understand. 130"... In 130" you do see the difference on 8k resolution with and without AA :) 

• 1 month later...

I mean...I'm not saying I don't want better 4k support in general and in particular for mods, but the stock game is fine for me at 4k.

150% scaling is plenty, I can read everything just fine. (Unless it's a mod that doesn't offer scaling options), and that's saying something cuz' the ol' Mk1. eyeball ain't as good as she used to be.

Even as a 4k user I don't think it would be fair to devote a lot of development time to it, as it's a pretty small percentage of the overall player base, especially in a game like KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.