Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems (Orbital ATK) thread

tater

Reports are coming in that Yozhnoye Design Office in Ukraine has been destroyed. This is where the Antares 1st stage was made. Embargoed RD181s are now the least of NG's problems.

Edited by RCgothic

5 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Reports are coming in that Yozhnoye Design Office in Ukraine has been destroyed. This is where the Antares 1st stage was made. Embargoed RD181s are now the last of NG's problems.

Also affected the Vega fourth stage and RFA, as well as Cyclone 4M probably

48 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Reports are coming in that Yozhnoye Design Office in Ukraine has been destroyed. This is where the Antares 1st stage was made. Embargoed RD181s are now the last of NG's problems.

between this and most of the worlds heavy/medium lvs being retired and replaced, I wonder what they can launch on other than falcon 9?

20 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Reports were false.

Found them dubious at face value. They called Yuzhmash a ballistic missile manufacturer, which it hasn't been for longer than I'm alive, and thus it wouldn't merit a long-range strike.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:33 PM, DDE said:

Found them dubious at face value. They called Yuzhmash a ballistic missile manufacturer, which it hasn't been for longer than I'm alive, and thus it wouldn't merit a long-range strike.

[snip]

That said though, so long as the source of the news is "reports" or "sources" with no follow up, it can be considered false. Also apart from it not actually manufacturing ballistic missiles, there may be some consideration to deliberately not targeting it/keeping it safe if complete ISS cooperation is still something Russia desires.

Also something interesting-

This might be a question for the ISS or SpaceX thread instead, but what is Cargo Dragon's flight rate like? Could it fly more often to make up for the loss of Cygnus depending on how long the conflict lasts and/or its outcome?

I saw the recommendations to launch Cygnus on Falcon 9, but wouldn't that be redundant? And if Progress can do orbital corrections, and Russian cooperation is needed anyways because you can't just split the ISS, would it be worth spending money to mate Cygnus with F9?

Edited by Vanamonde

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Love the name. If only those crafts were not one-use-only...

I would go as far as to say they are given in bad taste. Who’s idea was it to name a disposable spacecraft, that is, one that will burn up in the atmosphere, after Kalpana Chawla, a victim of the Columbia disaster?

Its like a patriotic shooting target manufacturer naming their latest human shaped board “the JFK” in honor of the former President…

I think the families understand that expendable vehicles move the project  forward that their lost family member gave their life for. I think it's fine.

I'd worry more about losing the vehicle to some off-nominal event having anthropomorphized it than it completing its mission.

31 minutes ago, tater said:

I'd worry more about losing the vehicle to some off-nominal event having anthropomorphized it

Already happened, with S.S. Deke Slayton in 2014. Thankfully, S.S. Deke Slayton II worked great when it launched later on Atlas V

• 3 weeks later...