Air Superiority Fighter Competition

Alright ladies and gents, i have a headache so its time to get things moving: Our first fight today will be the Pachy vs @MrChumley's Airsoup. right off the bat, we notice the armaments are very different, the Pachy is obviously heavy, armed to the teeth with 10 mixed missiles and 3 vulcans, while the airsoup is armed with...a pair of .50bmg and a pair of sidewinders, officially making it the least armed fighter in the lot. But can its maneuverability overcome its inherent armament issues?

In short, no. The Airsoup clearly outmaneuvers the Pachy up until the cockpit gets cut away, but even then, the Airsoup's armament isn't designed to kill, its designed to maim, leaving Pachys flying around in extended battles with holes in their wings, missing engines, etc. but still combat effective! 

And for the second battle, we have the Pachy taking on another newcomer, @53miner53's Fighter 3 MKII, a delta dagger design with an early vietnam pilosophy: Throw as many missiles at the target as you can. But is it any good?

The answer is Yes, as the Fighter 3 returns to the board. But where will it wind up? Up next, it faces the Sanngrior, the ultra-maneuverable drone.

Unfortunately, the Sanngrior's small size makes missiles a lackluster offense, leaving the F3MK2 in 5th place on the roster.

Just now, HeroBrian_333 said:

So currently, the roster is:

1. The Cool Ranch Dorito

2. F 25

3. Bryntröll

4. Sangrigor

5. Fighter 3 Mk. 2

This right?

yes. F-25 is being skipped as the pilot wanted his aircraft removed from combat in protest of turrets being a thing.

2 minutes ago, l0kki said:

@exbyde  you gonna test the Ausf H soon?

Yeah, i'm just going down the list, its FCFS unless something is up like mods. Mukita12 has a design ahead of you that will face off with the F3MKII, then yours will be tested against the winner of that.

5 minutes ago, exbyde said:

yes. F-25 is being skipped as the pilot wanted his aircraft removed from combat in protest of turrets being a thing.

I don't see how that is fair as his post appeared right as I was banning turrets.

Also, it would be nice to see some new people submit a new approach to the contest (@Eidahlil I know you are here, that was directed at you. Build something new, I would love to see it.)

23 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

I don't see how that is fair as his post appeared right as I was banning turrets.

He originally mentioned his distaste for turrets on Page 11 when you mentioned you had a design with them, called them op,  mentioned testing conditions to DrTricy, submitted the f-25 on page 13, and then decided to pull his design after it had been tested because turrets are op. He understood and discussed the rules on turrets before submitting a design, and then after he was placed on the roster decided he would use his aircraft as leverage to get the rules changed. Then wanted it only to be temporary. That is not the form of behavior we need to exemplify or reward when discussing issues here, its immature and unfair to other contestants. It doesn't necessarily matter that it happened a few posts before you banned turrets, it matters that it happened in general.

And in the final fight of the morning, we have Fighter 3 from @53miner53 up against @MrChumley's Aerotoaster. This high maneuverability design is armed to the teeth with...a single Browning M2 and a pair of sidewinders...

yeah, about that weapons system...

Edited by exbyde

Just now, Earthlinger said:

I'm of the opinion that the roster should be a little bigger.

So, the top plane is #1, close contestants are #2-#5, and honorable mentions are #6-#10.

The issue is theorerically, a good fighter would have to face as many as 30 fights to be tested for the #1 spot (3 fights per slot, 10 slots), and even ones with blaring issues like the AeroToaster's armament issue would still make the HM list for a while. This would clog up the system, and people already get a little testy if i can't test their aircraft same day.

1 minute ago, exbyde said:

The issue is theorerically, a good fighter would have to face as many as 30 fights to be tested for the #1 spot (3 fights per slot, 10 slots), and even ones with blaring issues like the AeroToaster's armament issue would still make the HM list for a while. This would clog up the system, and people already get a little testy if i can't test their aircraft same day.

Ah okay, good point :P

i had to do this
introducing the KF-X/IF-X Reposted, or just simply call it KF-X/IF-X R
with reduced pitch rate, ore ballast and an Internal bay!
(radar is included, unlike the previous version)

Spoiler

actual prototype aircraft, joint south kerboan and kerbinesian stealth fighter experiment
kfx2.jpg

7 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

i had to do this
introducing the KF-X/IF-X Reposted, or just simply call it KF-X/IF-X R
with reduced pitch rate, ore ballast and an Internal bay!
(radar is included, unlike the previous version)

Reveal hidden contents

actual prototype aircraft, joint south kerboan and kerbinesian stealth fighter experiment
kfx2.jpg

>ballast

Have you tested this aircraft in AI combat?

37 minutes ago, l0kki said:

the ballast is probably for manipulating the point of balance

15 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

exactly, on previous submission he said it was nose-heavy so i added two ore tank near the engines

Yes but adding deadweight means you have less performance from high weight. Usually i recommend moving parts or changing fuel levels/placement over just adding some lead to your plane.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.