KSP Making History patches?

RayRay

It's been nearly 2 weeks since Making History DLC was released when are we getting a new patch? There are many issues that are very annoying why haven't they been fixed yet?, When are we getting a response on the forums? I'm scared of using my default game untill it is patched. 

Please give the Community some idea when it will be ready or that you are at least working on new patch (which obviously you must be). Thanks. Great DLC by the way loving it apart from bugs.

Making games takes time. Fixing bugs takes more time. Remember, even though gigantic, rich Take-Two owns KSP, it's still indie dev Squad that is maintaining 8 different versions: Xbox; PS4; Base game Windows, Mac, Linux; and Making History Windows, Mac, Linux.

Sure, Blitworks is doing the heavy lifting on the Xbox and PS4 versions, but Squad still has to devote some time and attention to those versions. So that leaves Squad mostly working on the PC side of things which is 6 different products. If you count 32-bit and 64-bit as different, and they can be (they at least should both be tested to some degree), that's 8 different products (9 if Mac has 32-bit and 64-bit options, I'm not sure). And if you factor in the language options, that's possibly 9 different UIs and 27 translations across the base game that have to be looked at if anything in that area needs to be fixed (double that if Making History has all 9 languages available).

So Squad is dealing with up to 9 products that all should be getting tested, and at least 9 languages that potentially need looking at. Supposedly they have help from Take-Two in the form of a QA team, but it takes time for them to get stuff done.

Remember: Squad has never been exemplary with communications even in the best of times, and there's a lot of work to do. Operating under a deadline does not really work out in Squad's favor, it seems, so hopefully they take their time and get it right.

They're doing their thing, and we just need to be patient. It's all any of us can do, really. You know, besides ineffectually screaming into the void...

Thank for the reply, I understand we need to be patient but really they only need to concentrate on PC at the moment as Xbox and PS4 will obviously not be a priority, but I wish they would at least give us something like "we're working hard to fix bugs so please be patient" surely that's not hard for them to say so.

44 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Thank for the reply, I understand we need to be patient but really they only need to concentrate on PC at the moment as Xbox and PS4 will obviously not be a priority, but I wish they would at least give us something like "we're working hard to fix bugs so please be patient" surely that's not hard for them to say so.

You mean like this?

http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/

4 hours ago, MechBFP said:

You mean like this?

http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/

He means like on the forums - where a great number of people who actually play the game gather to converse and discuss.  The forums the devs themselves call "official".  The place we expect to find official statements to the players.

Not on some third party micro blogging site.

47 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

He means like on the forums - where a great number of people who actually play the game gather to converse and discuss.  The forums the devs themselves call "official".  The place we expect to find official statements to the players.

Maybe someone should lower their expectations. 

14 hours ago, Mako said:

Making games takes time. Fixing bugs takes more time. Remember, even though gigantic, rich Take-Two owns KSP, it's still indie dev Squad that is maintaining 8 different versions: Xbox; PS4; Base game Windows, Mac, Linux; and Making History Windows, Mac, Linux.

Sure, Blitworks is doing the heavy lifting on the Xbox and PS4 versions, but Squad still has to devote some time and attention to those versions. So that leaves Squad mostly working on the PC side of things which is 6 different products. If you count 32-bit and 64-bit as different, and they can be (they at least should both be tested to some degree), that's 8 different products (9 if Mac has 32-bit and 64-bit options, I'm not sure). And if you factor in the language options, that's possibly 9 different UIs and 27 translations across the base game that have to be looked at if anything in that area needs to be fixed (double that if Making History has all 9 languages available).

So Squad is dealing with up to 9 products that all should be getting tested, and at least 9 languages that potentially need looking at. Supposedly they have help from Take-Two in the form of a QA team, but it takes time for them to get stuff done.

Remember: Squad has never been exemplary with communications even in the best of times, and there's a lot of work to do. Operating under a deadline does not really work out in Squad's favor, it seems, so hopefully they take their time and get it right.

They're doing their thing, and we just need to be patient. It's all any of us can do, really. You know, besides ineffectually screaming into the void...

From what I've seen, it's often a separate company that ports the game to other platforms other than its native one. Not sure if that's the case with KSP

7 hours ago, Gorman said:

Mako, the thing is the Unity development platform is meant to be develop once, build for multiple platforms. So they are not really working on 9 different products, more like 1.5 to 2.0 products.

Well, that is the general idea, right? But here's the thing: for KSP a whole lot of unique stuff had to built on top of Unity. Stuff that can go wrong from one platform to another because of how complex KSP is. So while Unity should "just work" for everything, it rarely does in KSP. Feel free to look into bug reports from past updates where all of a sudden something that works fine on Windows and Linux versions breaks on Mac versions. I feel like every update has had some PC platform specific issues, while other platforms have been fine.

Oh, good example: 64-bit worked very well on Linux long before it was stable on Windows. That was a Unity issue, not even a KSP specific issue, so even Unity doesn't work perfectly as advertised. And that's before you build something as complex and complicated as KSP on top.

26 minutes ago, Clockwork13 said:

From what I've seen, it's often a separate company that ports the game to other platforms other than its native one. Not sure if that's the case with KSP

I'm not sure what you mean in relation to KSP.

Squad has been the only developer on the PC versions of KSP. Console version ports were mistakenly trusted to Flying Tiger Entertainment, and when that went predictably poorly it ended in FTE's dismissal. Now, the console ports are being developed by Blitworks, with some QA performed by Squad. Squad, and by extension I assume Blitworks, has some additional help from Take-Two in the form of external QA assistance.

So, as is not uncommon with PC developers, a port company has been involved in the console versions. Two in this case, since the first was too ill equiped and inexperienced to handle the task. I probably misunderstood what you meant, but do you think that another company should be involved in some way?

2 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

You do realize that the news on that third party micro blogging site is included in the KSP Weekly posts in the Daily Kerbal section of the forums, right?

Basically, outside of the Announcements section, the KSP Weeklys are the place on the forum where you find the info the OP is asking for.

Edited by Mako

9 hours ago, RayRay said:

Well, the console players would disagree and say that those versions should be the priority. It is, of course, a matter of perspective. Personally, I can only say that everyone needs to be patient and give them the time to get things right. Otherwise, well, you know what we get when they don't give it as much time as it needs... as do the console players...

Check the KSP Weekly posts in the Daily Kerbal section of the forum. They're posted each Friday around 21:00 UTC.

A summary of today's Weekly: Squad says they, and Blitworks, are working on patches for 1.4, Making History, and the console versions.

Edited by Mako
It's my own fault for using the mobile forum

I got Xbox 1 version of KSP enhanced after buying original so it was free and now the game is pretty playable now, saves seem ok aswell, still some bugs but alot better than original. Let's hope they fix Making History soon. I'm not too worried about them fixing KSP on console yet, prefer they concentrate on PC, then when that's sorted to work on other versions. Let's hope it not too long cos it's pretty frustrating at the moment when it breaks.

16 hours ago, Clockwork13 said:

Squad are selling a buggy product, people are buying it. Taking their time and releasing a good quality product should be their priority and as for their lack of communication well that is not acceptable. 1st time ever I invested in a game back just before the release of 1.0 and with such an in unprofessional company. At least Squad taught me to not make that mistake again, Thanks Squad. 

PS Squad, you don't fancy buying back my copy of KSP do you? :wink:

Edited by silverfox101

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.