Dive into my hole

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, Triop said:

Is there a way to get the sub home ?

The K.O.B. Cruise Missile was just something to scout with...  it's disposable.  

But now sure, might as well send the whole crew out to play.

36 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

btw, no one gone there the naval way? like irl

A ship would take hours to get there and would still have to fire a missile into or out of the hole.  ...or did you have some other idea?  

On 6/7/2018 at 6:40 PM, XLjedi said:

A ship would take hours to get there and would still have to fire a missile into or out of the hole.  ...or did you have some other idea?  

icebreakers can't be built, but how about putting these huge wheels that we never use under the ship so it acts like icebreakers?
(the ship are driven on top of the ice instead breaking through it)

Edited by [INDO]dimas_1502

3 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

icebreakers can't be built, but how about putting these huge wheels that we never use under the ship so it acts like icebreakers?
(the ship are driven on top of the ice instead breaking through it)

You maybe should look at the geography of the region in some of the videos above? 

You'd be driving a long way, since the ice caps are all harsh cliffs at the waters edge.  There are no smooth beach transitions to enter or exit a snow/ice region so you'd have to drive on land where there is no ice/snow and then drive over the polar region.  Once at the hole, you'd be faced with cliffs again.  You might be able to just tumble into the water, but you would not be able to get out, and you might damage the craft just falling in like that.

A possible naval solution might involve an aircraft carrier hydrofoil that can travel at 200+ knots on the water, and maybe include a VTOL plane or cruise missile launch platform to access the hole once the AC carrier is close.  ...but that would still take hours, since hydrofoils don't typically do too well under accel time.  It would have to be a real time mission at about 90-100 m/s  (200+ knots). 

1 hour ago, XLjedi said:

You maybe should look at the geography of the region in some of the videos above? 

You'd be driving a long way, since the ice caps are all harsh cliffs at the waters edge.  There are no smooth beach transitions to enter or exit a snow/ice region so you'd have to drive on land where there is no ice/snow and then drive over the polar region.  Once at the hole, you'd be faced with cliffs again.  You might be able to just tumble into the water, but you would not be able to get out, and you might damage the craft just falling in like that.

A possible naval solution might involve an aircraft carrier hydrofoil that can travel at 200+ knots on the water, and maybe include a VTOL plane or cruise missile launch platform to access the hole once the AC carrier is close.  ...but that would still take hours, since hydrofoils don't typically do too well under accel time.  It would have to be a real time mission at about 90-100 m/s  (200+ knots). 

how about building a harbor with KK somewhere else a little bit north so we can cut up the time? (if only someone have it)
and yeah that carrier idea seems nice, or maybe just a coast guard ship with a heli that carries a mini sub?

2 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

how about building a harbor with KK somewhere else a little bit north so we can cut up the time? (if only someone have it)
and yeah that carrier idea seems nice, or maybe just a coast guard ship with a heli that carries a mini sub?

The mini-sub can not go under the ice...  So you'd still need an airlift for you mini sub unless it can fly, parachute itself in, and then repack chutes and fly back out.  I have craft that can do all this BTW (including the hydrofoil ACC link below) but I've done 2 missions to the hole already and would prefer a new mission/location to dispatch the hydrofoil.

https://kerbalx.com/XLjedi/HCS-16-Hurricane

The Hurricane is a stock hydrofoil cruiser with hangar, VTOL flight deck, submarine bay, and beachhead vehicle loading ramp...  and could do the mission without a dock.  I just think I'd rather take it to the southern polar region as there are some interesting protected harbor formations down there with even bigger cliffs, and neat things could be done with craft that make use of the KAS winch as a crane.

Edited by XLjedi

On 6/7/2018 at 5:59 AM, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

btw, no one gone there the naval way? like irl

Like @XLjedi said, this would take hours. This would be my weapon of choice in my arsenal (RipTide) and it would require refueling on the way.

I went for a test run and decided it's not something I want to spend that much time on

YMteLpi.png

Edited by Castille7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.