Number of new planets

HockeyToad28

4 is being added. A lava like planet orbiting close to the sun. However the lava may have to be delayed.

A purple planet called eve with 1.7Gs and atmosphere 5x thicker that kerbins. Has a moon.

A mars like planet with a moon. Nuff said.

A green gas giant with 4 moons. One being oceanic.

and isn't there a pluto-esque one as well?

Not yet. One more solid planet and 3 more gas giants are planned (similar to our own solar system layout) for a later update (maybe 0.18 or 0.19). However, there will be several moons this update. The gas giant will have 4, Eve will have 1, and the Mars-like planet will have one almost as large as itself.

Vulcan has no moons.

The Mars-like planet I expect will have a gravity close to somewhere in-between Kerbin's and the Mun's, leaning more toward the Kerbin-end. Add to that the thin atmosphere, and getting from orbit to the ground will be remarkably easy. Landing softly will not be. Parachutes will be no good unless you put about a dozen of them on, so now is a good time to practice powered landings with very large landers on the Mun. Have fun!

Random trivia time: it caught my attention that my spell-check wasn't marking mun or Mun in my postings. I decided to look it up in Dictionary.com and discovered it is from old Nordic for 'must' or 'to intend', and might even be an early spelling for 'man.' Of course that is for the word with the mun spelling, not the one with the umlaut, Mün. So as to paraphrase, "We mun get to the Mün." Just thought I'd throw that out there.

The best landing sequence is a staged approach. First a parachute, decoupled once you're below around 200-300 m/s, and then rockets for the final descent. Even then, it can be pretty hairy. I've ended up going 500 m/s at as many meters above the gound and just barely managed a landing, with almost no fuel.

Vulcan has no moons.

In the Diane Duane books (Spock's World, the Rihannsu series) and also, I think, in the Star Fleet Universe, Vulcan has not so much a moon as a nightmare.

Diane Duane calls the moon T'Khut; this name is also listed as a 'twin planet' in Memory Alpha (meaning it is canon). It is supposed to share an orbit with Vulcan and be tidally locked to Vulcan. Technically they are a 'double planet system' rather than a true 'planet/moon' pair- orbiting a common point rather than one orbiting the other.

This sounds something like what the devs are making for the 'Mars' planet.

Edited by Carthaginian

In the Diane Duane books (Spock's World, the Rihannsu series) and also, I think, in the Star Fleet Universe, Vulcan has not so much a moon as a nightmare.

Diane Duane calls the moon T'Khut; this name is also listed as a 'twin planet' in Memory Alpha. It is supposed to share an orbit with Vulcan and be tidally locked to Vulcan. Technically they are a 'double planet system' rather than a true 'planet/moon' pair- orbiting a common point rather than one orbiting the other.

This sounds something like what the devs are making for the 'Mars' planet.

And don't forget about ST: The Motion Picture:

dvP9Ml.jpg

DHRiyl.jpg

That's four different celestial bodies in the sky at the same time, one of which is way too big to be a moon.

Can't wait to see such a sight in KSP.

As we all know in the next update (0.17) there will be many changes. But one change besides the IVA's, was the new planets!! That are going to be added into the Kerbin System. If i am wrong plz say so. From what ive heard there will be 4 new planets.

:1. The Lava rocky planet. (moons {?} )

:2. The Purple Planet Eve. (moons {atleast 1} )

:3. Our home Kerbin :) (moons {2} )

:4. The Red Murs Planet (moons {atleast 1} )

:5. The Green Gas Gaint (moons {3} )

Now that is all ik about the new planets that are going to be added in the 0.17 update. I may be wrong but feel free to say so becuase i want to know everything! Also another thing that bugs me is that all these people on youtube keep finding these epic pics of these new planets and i cant find 1 pic anywhere on the internet, or the ****ing formuns!! So if u have any pics that you know of our any vidoes plz feel free to post it below. I want ur opinions! becuase this game is just going to get better:cool:

And don't forget about ST: The Motion Picture:

That's four different celestial bodies in the sky at the same time, one of which is way too big to be a moon.

Can't wait to see such a sight in KSP.

You gotta be old to remember that, Sordid.

They edited them out of later releases... said that the daytime sun would have been to bright to allowed them to be viewed.

Guess they never looked up at the sky when Luna is visible during the day.

There were a few incorrect facts there of what TheProdigy said but most right.

The green gas gaint will only have 3 moons. Ice Moon, Oceanic Moon, rocky moon.

And Eve will have a 7x thicker atmoshpere then Kerbin but most said by him were right :) (no effense)

There were a few incorrect facts there of what TheProdigy said but most right.

The green gas gaint will only have 3 moons. Ice Moon, Oceanic Moon, rocky moon.

And Eve will have a 7x thicker atmoshpere then Kerbin but most said by him were right :) (no effense)

The gas giant will have 4, see http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/album.php?albumid=5&attachmentid=31030.

I know the info is pretty scarce, but is Eve going to be a life bearing world and the Oceanic Moon, is it something like all liquid water and no surface land at all?

For now, Kerbals will be the only life.

The water moon will have islands.

As we all know my last thread i had put-in the wrong url for the pictures. so here are the pictures for real this time. feel free to talk and say anyhting about the new planets.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31031&d=1344586622

attachment.php?attachmentid=31063&d=1344656701

attachment.php?attachmentid=31124&d=1344763208

attachment.php?attachmentid=30805&d=1344237875

attachment.php?attachmentid=30804&d=1344237858

attachment.php?attachmentid=30887&d=1344384871

attachment.php?attachmentid=30758&d=1344151196

attachment.php?attachmentid=30741&d=1344125293

attachment.php?attachmentid=30740&d=1344124400

attachment.php?attachmentid=30739&d=1344124216

attachment.php?attachmentid=30726&d=1344113251

attachment.php?attachmentid=30727&d=1344113298

attachment.php?attachmentid=31030&d=1344586184

Edited by Cykyrios
adding a spoiler tag

Post merged from Lets Talk About the new Kerbal System! since its purpose is also to discuss the planets.

As a note, please use the spoiler tag when posting several images to avoid finger injuries due to scrolling down the page :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.