How much funds would the Kerbal Space program take to build from the ground up?

CYoungCS

I mean, from a hypothetical level 0 (non-existant), to the level 1 you start with, what would it have cost the Kerbals to build each building? I'm keeping track of my finances and would like to be able to know what ROI I would be getting if I had taken the original building costs into account, just for fun.

That's an idea. I'm looking for ideas on how much initial funding would be granted, mostly in kerbal-esque terms, rather than for realism sake. Just something reasonable I can put down in my balance sheet. I can say with kct that each point is 100,000 funds, and I think it's reasonable to say that whatever entity funded the program would be adding more as it goes along (get more points as you go along the tech tree, with this mod). I mean I think of my own personal ksp as a private corporation and its not unreasonable for a government to favor one particular business (like it has quite literally happened several times throughout history even with america and it's so called capitalism).

I do like the idea of destroying them and repairing them. How do I go about doing such?

8 minutes ago, CYoungCS said:

I do like the idea of destroying them and repairing them. How do I go about doing such?

With prejudice :)

No I think there's a way in the cheat menu, or if all else fails break the launch pad and then look in the persistent file to see how it is represented, and then set every other building to be the same.

20 minutes ago, CYoungCS said:

Create a new career save, crash stock planes into all buildings (or use your own designs for this). You may want to hack in extra funds for this save, justifiable by being a "simulator" or "holodeck" type save.

3 hours ago, CYoungCS said:

By having fun... many ballistic kinetic 'rockets'. Destroy the VAB and launchpad in a single final launch.

Peace.

Okay I was curious enough to do this, and it's actually quite easy if you are comfortable editing the persistent.sfs file.

1. Start a new save. Do nothing in that save and just exit out.
  2. Open the persistent.sfs file.
  3. Search and replace "intact = True" with "intact = False" (no quotes in the search terms)
  4. Save that file.
  5. Open your save.
  6. Enjoy!

This may or may not become a challenge in the future.

EDIT:

It won't. It was pretty easy to fix everything and then it's just a normal game. I suggest people try it though because it was a bit fun and something I'd never really experienced before.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Haha I just found a bug in this.

The level 0 runway does not have a "destroyed" state. If you set it as such in the SFS file the runway is not able to be repaired, but you can't "launch" to it because it's broken. You can however build a craft in the (repaired) SPH and then click the runway and launch your craft.

The cool thing is this allows a (buggy and clunky) way to start a career on default Normal settings ($25,000 starting funds in particular) with the ability to launch craft (because repairing the SPH and VAB each cost a bit over $23,000 and you don't have enough money after to repair the launch pad).

EDIT:

You can also go to and fully utilize the astronaut complex from the SPH if it's destroyed. Seems not too many people bug test with destroyed buildings.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Or well and maybe as the second check.

Level 2 to Level 3 on most buildings is 3.75 times the level 2 value. I say most as 2 buildings are 3.9 and 4.3.  So I'd say level 1 is valued at level2 cost divided by 3.75

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Haha I just found a bug in this.

The level 0 runway does not have a "destroyed" state. If you set it as such in the SFS file the runway is not able to be repaired, but you can't "launch" to it because it's broken. You can however build a craft in the (repaired) SPH and then click the runway and launch your craft.

Considering the "runway" is much worse to launch/land aircraft on than the unimproved grass beside it, I'm not sure what you were expecting.  The "level 0" runway comes pre-destroyed.  Note that if you plan on landing on the grass, you probably want to make an aircraft capable of making it up the lip of the "runway" so you aren't charged fees to return to KSC.

9 hours ago, wumpus said:

Considering the "runway" is much worse to launch/land aircraft on than the unimproved grass beside it, I'm not sure what you were expecting.  The "level 0" runway comes pre-destroyed.  Note that if you plan on landing on the grass, you probably want to make an aircraft capable of making it up the lip of the "runway" so you aren't charged fees to return to KSC.

Actually it's flat these days. I was surprised last time I launched my KSC Science Car from there.

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

An easier way to destroy all the buildings than editing save files is just to use the object thrower in the alt-f12 menu.

Naaw that's more fun but not easier. Especially if you want to hit everything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.