[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Thanks for letting me know Kamuchi. You're not the only person who's had that error, so expect it to be fixed in the next update. :)

I think I've fixed the error in one of my recent commits though there are issues with how the ProtoModuleEngine works and some of the other bits of code that get hold of engine modules.

I've run into an interesting problem! Suddenly KER is... really getting it wrong with spaceplanes. I mean REALLY wrong. I first noticed the issue in the SPH:

tourista1.jpg

Note the KER info box in the lower left. It seems to be under the impression that the first stage of the spaceplane has 0 parts and 0 mass!

tourista9.jpg

All of the spaceplanes affected with it start to suffer from NaNm/s dV readouts on the way to orbit. In fact, the predicted dV for the rocket stage is completely wrong in its prediciton as well on the way up! Here's a link to the craft itself for testing purposes.

All of the spaceplanes affected with it start to suffer from NaNm/s dV readouts on the way to orbit. In fact, the predicted dV for the rocket stage is completely wrong in its prediciton as well on the way up! Here's a link to the craft itself for testing purposes.

I've been having this issue as well. There are 2 things that seem like they might be part of the problem, either the new fuel routing for the jet engines that burns fuel from every tank on the ship regardless of decouplers. The other is having more oxidizer than fuel. The latter one seems more likely as I notice this happen around the same time the fuel quantity drops below the ratio for oxidizer.

Tested this multiple times now and it's neither one of those two. Checking intake air now.

Edited by icedown

Quick question (I googled it for a while, but I can't really find an answer - maybe I'm dumb :-D ).

I've installed Kerbal Engineer Redux and it works fairly well in Sandbox mode.

But in Career mode it works only within the construction facility (when I'm building a rocket).

When I fly it (or launch it), the relative icon is darkened (black), and if I click on it nothing happen. Neither the relative tools appear on screen (like HUD1 and HUD2 for example - they're not visible).

Am I missing something? Might it be related to the career mode and there is anything I've to unlock?

Thanks for your patience :)

Quick question (I googled it for a while, but I can't really find an answer - maybe I'm dumb :-D ).

I've installed Kerbal Engineer Redux and it works fairly well in Sandbox mode.

But in Career mode it works only within the construction facility (when I'm building a rocket).

When I fly it (or launch it), the relative icon is darkened (black), and if I click on it nothing happen. Neither the relative tools appear on screen (like HUD1 and HUD2 for example - they're not visible).

Am I missing something? Might it be related to the career mode and there is anything I've to unlock?

Thanks for your patience :)

In career mode you need either an engineer kerbal or one of the engineer parts to get in flight information. You can change this to "partless" mode in the settings if you'd prefer.

In career mode you need either an engineer kerbal or one of the engineer parts to get in flight information. You can change this to "partless" mode in the settings if you'd prefer.

Oh, I didn't know that. And in fact it works as you said. Thanks!

How do i change Kerbal Engineer stats update timing? I want to change update interval to 2 secs while orbiting, and to 5 seconds in VAB. There is update interval in VAB, which is buggy:

I think it is one of the best mods for KSP, but until lag disappears i'm forced to remove it from my modlist.

+1, Got the same problem. So its out for now and stutter is completely gone.

Not sure whether it's a known issue, but decoupling two stages with both probes seems to give me wrong mass (and screwed one of my missions actually)

Repro rocket (I can share the craft if you want but it's easy enough to rebuild yourself)

jyT5V4p.jpg

Explanation:

Staging is bottom-up. Last stage engine is fired before the top ISRU gets decoupled. Root part is the probe below decoupler with engine.

Problem:

1. The last stage engine thrust is registered on S0, not S1 where it's staged. The mass is then wrong (Hey ISRU is 4.25t but my Spark is only driving a 400kg-ish ship?). Consequently all the dV calculation becomes wrong. Removing the upper probe (with ISRU) fixes it and all calculations are correct (dV is calculated on S1 with the ISRU mass).

2. (Small problem) Fairing seems screwed the dry mass computation, but the dV calculation seems still correct.

Also, forget about the checklist. The current way I place the top decoupler is explicitly what I want (in my real mission ISRU is replaced with a rover), and reversing the decoupler doesn't fix anything.

And also it seems making the probe above decoupler (i.e. the one with ISRU) root part seems fixing the problem as well...

EDIT: For 2 it was my misunderstanding - the 0 is stage mass, not dry mass, so 0 is correct because the upper stage is fairing. Although technically staging fairing should throw away mass as well, but that's not the original problem I was thinking of. Debugging the first one now...

EDIT2: OK for 1 after looking at the log I get what's happening... if there's really such a bug filed it will probably be resolved as by design, because KER choose one particular (undocumented and complex) algorithm to decide when and how staging actual happens, which in general works, but in some cases will be different from what you have, and there's no way to tell KER about it, so KER just chooses one algorithm that is good for most purposes.

Fine, I know there would be limitations, just a bit unfortunate that it's not some easy code bug to fix.

Edited by FancyMouse

I think there is definitely something wrong with the indicated weight of a lot of stuff. But I dont know if it is KER or KSP parts

Here is a Mk2 cockpit (2,06T) , then i add a MK2 rocket fuel fuselage (3,57T) and a Rapier Engine (2T)

Total weight should be 7,63T

In fact it is 7,435T, because if you look the weight of the fuselage (right click) wet weight given is 3,375T and not 3,57T given in SPH Fuel tank part.

211050screenshot8.png

Then I add 2 delta wings. Given weight of each is 0,2T as indicated in aerodynamic parts. Total weight should be 7,435+0,4 = 7,835T

In fact it is 8,279 . So each delta wing weight is in fact 0,422 and not 0,2T

If you add mechjeb on the aircraft, it will find the same total weight as KER. They agree.

And you can try a lot of wings, each time the real calculated weight is not the indicated weight.

248824screenshot9.png

So there is something wrong somewhere with the weight and in final, my SSTO is given for 67T by KER and 57T by Mechjeb.

Here Mechjeb is right and disagree with KER

878610screenshot10.png

But when i launch my SSTO, Mechjeb take the wrong KER weight in account, 10T more! Weight is now 67T

320515screenshot12.png

Edited by gilflo

I don't think it's only a FAR issue. I can see that FAR change the weight of wings, but theres is still a difference for some parts between indicated part weight and real part weight, once built.

I loaded my game without FAR and and difference between Mechjeb and KER is always 10T. But i loose 3T du to the fact that wings weights are now correct.

I like how you assume that KER's numbers are wrong. When in actuality KER is doing the correct thing and giving you accurate numbers that match what you will be flying (MJ proved this to be the case). You don't fly a craft inside the assembly building now do you? Or at least not intentionally :P

Also remember to show the weight in the KSP stock engineer's report, you may see something surprising :D

Edited by cybutek

Sorry english is not my native language.

I don't understand what you mean.

Inside or outside SPH, weight should be the same, flying or not flying.

I see that KER takes account of all part weight, even the smallest as Mechjeb don't ( Vernor engines for example)

I see that FAR change the weight of wing parts, it cost 3T on my SSTO.

What I don't understand is the final weight of 67T, because i build again the same SSTO, with same parts and Mechjeb weight is now 57T when KER shows 60T, what is correct because it looks it is taking in account FAR wings weight.

Hello all, I am sure this has been asked a million times already, but I am having no luck with google searches. I want to switch from Mechjeb 2 to KER in a running career mod with active ships with MJ parts. How can I do this?

Greetings from the space above Kerbin.

Ive been using KE for some time and really love it. It was the first mod I installed after the 1.0 release. The other day when I opened my saved career I found that all of the ships I had built using KE were unavailable. The error message reads "craft could not be loaded because the following part is missing: EngineerChip. I have since tried to reinstall the mod but with no success.

Suggestions on how to restore my ships and save my career would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I want to switch from Mechjeb 2 to KER in a running career mod with active ships with MJ parts. How can I do this?

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]
{
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineerModule
}
}

Delete the MJ plugin, keep the parts. KSP won't be able to load the MJ modules, but that patch will add in KERs instead, effectively making it another KER part. As for the MJ pod, that'd be I think slightly more difficult, but should work the same regardless..

Hey, awsome mod, but I have small issue.

I've built some SSTO spaceplanes, but its seems like KER miscalculates or doesn't update thrust values, when I disable the atmospheric engines and switch over to the rocket engines. It seems to assume that atmospheric engines are still giving thrust, even through they are disabled. This ends up giving me wrong TWR and maneuver values. Maybe its because the atmo-engines are in a active stage and the rocket engines in an inactive stage? Anyway to fix this?

For me it happens pretty reliably under the following circumstances (This is probably only one class of this problem)

* Your vessel is above 62km

* There is liquid fuel in a liquid-fuel only tank (e.g. liquid fuel fuselage/LF engine Nacelle)

You can work around the issue and restore the delta-v display by transferring all liquid fuel from LF-only tanks to LF+O (rocket fuel) tanks.

This example shows the problem:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I haven't tested whether enabling/disabling the turbojets affects the issue. This example has them disabled.

Cheers

Has anybody else noticed the values for DV and TWR change fairly drasticly between VAB and launch? I'm using Remote tech so my last stage is mostly "Physics-less" parts but I thought that got fixed according to the last change log. By drastic I also mean that my DV total for all stages can be cut in half once I hit the lauchpad.

Any help would be appriciated.

Has anybody else noticed the values for DV and TWR change fairly drasticly between VAB and launch? I'm using Remote tech so my last stage is mostly "Physics-less" parts but I thought that got fixed according to the last change log. By drastic I also mean that my DV total for all stages can be cut in half once I hit the lauchpad.

Any help would be appriciated.

You did click on the "atmosphere" option for KER in the VAB?

You did click on the "atmosphere" option for KER in the VAB?

Nope, but I really should have known better. After all this time I still forget to check the simple things sometimes. Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.