Generator part

Exactly what it says on the tin. Uses Liquidfuel and intakeAir to generate electricity. Similar in usage to fuel cells but doesn't use oxidizer.

Available in multiple sizes.

Edited by Pds314

On 10/29/2018 at 6:35 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Already exists! Throw a jet engine on and run it, alternator will make electricity lol.

I can see adding a small inline or radially attached part that can do this, basically a jet engine with 0 thrust, or at least opposing thrust vectors so you don't slide around or do back flips trying to charge your battery. 

My formula is to copy a jet engine, divide the thrust and ISP by 10 (same fuel usage as original), and multiply the elec output by 7. I’m not sure how this compares to real life generator efficiency. This is also doable with a Module Manager patch, but I’m too lazy to learn the syntax.

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I can see adding a small inline or radially attached part that can do this, basically a jet engine with 0 thrust, or at least opposing thrust vectors so you don't slide around or do back flips trying to charge your battery. 

I actually have one or two rovers that use a jet engine pointing upwards to generate E/C. (For challenges that don't allow solar panels.) Not exactly efficient, but it works! (It also acts as a nice source of down force, to prevent tipping.)

Really, what is being suggested in this thread I think, is your typical gasoline fueled generator, that converts air+fuel into electricity.

While I doubt it'll ever get added to stock, since the existing Fuel Cell pretty much covers that base; I could definitely see it being a modded part, the config is easy, you'd just need a suitable model.

3 hours ago, royying said:

is it more efficient than using fuel cell?

It's hard to say without doing some back to back testing, which I never have.

The only info I can find is in the part.cfg file, the value for the Juno is:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAlternator
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 1
		}

Not sure whether that's per second or not, the wiki also says it varies depending on throttle so, idk.

By comparison the Fuel cell makes 1.5 E/C per second, and the Fuel Array makes 18.0.

So just guessing, I'm gonna say no; it isn't more efficient?

7 hours ago, royying said:

is it more efficient than using fuel cell?

I think it's an apples v oranges situation.

The point of this part would be to not have to carry oxidizer.   So if you're making a vessel that was never intended to carry Ox, you don't need to add other parts to run a generator.   So even if it less efficient than a fuel cell, that point is pretty moot, as a fuel wouldn't even work at all on this vessel.  

AFAIK, the alternator in jet and rocket parts is generating some tiny fraction the power output you get from burning it with oxidizer.

IRL, kerosene provides about the same amount of thermal power when burned with liquid Oxygen as it does with intake air. Now, internal combustion engines do waste much of that power as heat, and jet engines use most of what remains for thrust.

So I don't think the alternator in jet engines is really of comparable strength. Plus, there is no auto-throttle down when you have almost full electricity like there is with fuel cells. The idea is to replace oxidizer with intake air, not to make the whole thing many times less efficient, weaker, and heavier.

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.