Planet Builder

So I was looking at the features of KSP and the features of SimpleRockets 2 (KSP is better!), and realized one important thing: SimpleRockets 2 has a planet builder coming when early access ends. Would KSP be able to make a feature like this? It might be hard to code, but it would be really fun and interesting. This could even take tons of stress off of the whole "More planets" thing that people are screaming for. I mean, if you could add your own planets from an easy-to-use editor, then instead of half the community yelling for more gas giants and the other half screaming for more rocky planets, anybody could just add more rocky or gas planets as they like. Would this be possible?

I'm just gonna quote myself

On 3/25/2018 at 12:36 PM, The Aziz said:

Creating new is not something you can do with few clicks. There is just too many variables, even if there was actual visual UI to use. Diameter, orbit, sphere of influence, sure, doable. But possible atmosphere, pressure, temperatures (mind you, there is a termosphere so it's not just 300K to 2K from sea level to space). Then, there is terrain. Sure you can make it full procedural, but it would be as boring as the Mun, or even worse. Textures? Because possible ice caps would not look the same way as hills or plains. Where are you gonna use mentioned textures? What if you're gonna create some advanced terrain features, like huge crater or canyon? Where it should be? How should it look like?

Too. Many. Variables.

Be happy that such thing as Kopernicus exists, otherwise we wouldn't have so many beautiful planet packs as we have now.

more or less relevant, someone was asking for basically same thing.

what if we had it so you could pick different solar systems

like there is a option to pick "wisbang" instead of  "basic" in the advanced option 

they could have community planet packs that you could get on the places that you get mods or something 

4 hours ago, lunardog15 said:

what if we had it so you could pick different solar systems

like there is a option to pick "wisbang" instead of  "basic" in the advanced option 

they could have community planet packs that you could get on the places that you get mods or something 

Nothing is stopping you from having multiple copies of the game, each with different planet pack. Mind you, if there were mutliple solar systems to choose in the game, they would have to load anyway, taking quite a bit of memory for nothing.

5 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Nothing is stopping you from having multiple copies of the game, each with different planet pack. Mind you, if there were mutliple solar systems to choose in the game, they would have to load anyway, taking quite a bit of memory for nothing.

That's on Squad. They could simply have each system load when selected and not have every single thing load when launching the game.

I don’t see why @SQUAD and the steam representatives for KSP cant put the mods into the steam workshop, so I CAN ACTUALLY PLAY KOPERNICUS!

and, you would just have to remake the hyperedit planet editor to make it be able to have color and height brushes. @SQUAD and @Ezriilc, get on this!

Edited by Fraston

3 minutes ago, Fraston said:

I don’t see why @SQUAD and the steam representatives for KSP cant put the mods into the steam workshop, so I CAN ACTUALLY PLAY KOPERNICUS!

and, you would just have to remake the hyperedit planet editor to make it be able to have color and height brushes. @SQUAD and @Ezriilc, get on this!

Because.... the mods aren't maintained by squad? Therefore, squad has little to no say over what can and cannot be done with a mod.

And you should be able to mod it regardless - just put the relevant mod folder into you gamedata folder.

Just now, qzgy said:

Because.... the mods aren't maintained by squad? Therefore, squad has little to no say over what can and cannot be done with a mod.

And you should be able to mod it regardless - just put the relevant mod folder into you gamedata folder.

the thing is, when I set kopernicus and the planet pack into into gamedata, upon loading onto the title screen it says “kOpeRNiCUS cOuLD NOt loAd dO Not oPEN anY of yOur saVeS”

1 minute ago, Fraston said:

the thing is, when I set kopernicus and the planet pack into into gamedata, upon loading onto the title screen it says “kOpeRNiCUS cOuLD NOt loAd dO Not oPEN anY of yOur saVeS”

Without knowing more details and what not, I can't actually say if you installed it properly. I'd check that it is.

Maybe there's a version error, maybe there were more instructions, maybe you're missing a dependency of kopernicus. I'd check that before blaming the mod.

3 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I'd check that before blaming the mod.

I should give that a try, because maybe Kopernicus doesn’t go into the gamedata folder.

anyway lets get back on topic

Edited by Fraston

3 hours ago, Fraston said:

I should give that a try, because maybe Kopernicus doesn’t go into the gamedata folder.

anyway lets get back on topic

9/10 it does, but check EVERYTHING: did you unzip? strip it out of its packaging folders? get all the dependencys? etc.

In any case, planet builder would be too complicated to be worth it. There's really enough of a variety already, and there are always planet packs.

Edited by Sidestrafe2462

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.