Instantly cut thrust

I am a Kerbal fan from WAY back but have been absent awhile, trying to re-orient myself. There is a mod or a tweak that allows for instant thrust cut, i.e. you press X and the engines stop. Any help please and thank you.

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Errr..... You press X and the engines stop.  (I'm 99% sure this is stock)

Thanks but no. there is a tweak or a mod that allows for INSTANT engine stop. With most engines you press X and it slows quickly but still gradually.  No what i mean?

7 minutes ago, ExMauler said:

Thanks but no. there is a tweak or a mod that allows for INSTANT engine stop. With most engines you press X and it slows quickly but still gradually.  No what i mean?

Err, no, cause when I hit X, my engines stop. 

I don't know how to explain this anymore succinctly. It's like a light switch, you flip the switch the light instantly ceases to be. In KSP stock you press X, there is a lag.
But there is a tweak that allows for a "light switch" type option to cut thrust instantly.

Hello @ExMauler, do you mean you are having trouble when trying to burn for an intercept? If so the method I use is to get close to the end of my burn, press x, then use shift to apply a small amount of thrust for precision intercepts. Sometimes I right click on the engine and lower the thrust to 1% (usually when I'm trying to match orbits for RV or docking).

If not a mod like Kerbal Operating System (KOS) allows you to program your rocket:

Do you use a clean install or did you upgrad from a previous (pretty early) version? If it is the latter case, maybe the keybindings are not updated properly, I would suggest to check them manually. The option is called "Throttle cut-off" and can be found in Settings -> Input -> Vessel:

Spoiler

JNYYsAg.png

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

James kerman, Thank you but again, no. When I played KSP a few years ago I had a mod (or tweak) that allowed for instant shut off of engines when pressing X. The norm is that you press X and the engines shut down but there is a bit of a lag (they shutdown slowly). This mod/tweak shut them down instantly like a light switch.

With default keybindings, for engines other than jet engines, in stock KSP the 'X' key does turn off the thrust like a light switch.

Just in case anyone else who finds this thread later, *is* looking for how to make jet engines respond instantly, there is a configuration variable for that, so ModuleManager can make the change, with this in a configuration file

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]] {
    @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],* {
       @engineDecelerationSpeed = 1e6

}}

or to remove both the spooling up and spooling down entirely

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]] {
    @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],* {
       !useEngineResponseTime = delete

}}

Edited by OHara
more likely anyone finding this would want to remove spooling entirely

2 hours ago, ExMauler said:

I give up.

Maybe put the engines shutdown/toggle in an Action group like number 1 and hit it the moment you want them off.

It should help a bit more, havent tested it though.

There is also a great mod for putting action groups while in flight (if you dont want to launch the vessel again).

Edited by Boyster

On 5/12/2019 at 2:10 AM, Adenosine Triphospate said:

Are you using a jet engine? Jet engines naturally slowly diminish their thrust, several seconds after pressing X. Theres not way to avoid that, I'm afraid.

There is, actually...  Read the text at the following Imgur album:

https://imgur.com/a/qh6av

Thanks to @Azimech for putting this together

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.