2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

V8. I don't know any details because I'm not a car guy at all.

Ah, ok, that's somewhat believable. You weren't probably hitting 140 mph, more like 125 - 130 mph (which is still blazing fast but not astronomically fast).

On 7/2/2019 at 10:57 PM, 5thHorseman said:

Peg my car at 180 mph.

Holy cow that was scary.

Nice! My personal land speed record is 120, so you have me beat by a wide margin.

I have so many acts competing for dumbest, I think I would have to have my wife come and rank them. But here is the one floating to the top of my mind at the moment:

I was building a desk and bookshelf set for our office at our house back in California. At one point I was working on the slide-out keyboard drawer, and I needed to cut a spacer piece, roughly 1" by 1" by 2". Figured I would just cut it off of a piece of scrap, plenty of scrap around when you're making furniture. But as I'm looking around, all the large pieces are already spoken for. But there is one scrap piece that is about an inch thick and 2 inches square. Cut that in half, I'll be all set. Piece of cake with a radial saw. Except that I didn't have my radial saw, my father-in-law had borrowed it for a couple of days to support some handyman work he was doing. But I did have my table saw. Took a look at the big, old table saw, and that little 2-inch-square piece of wood, and thought, "Yeah, I got this." So I got the saw going, lined the wood up, holding it with both hands with my fingers well away from the blade, and started to cut. Funny thing about table saws: If the wood binds even a little bit on the blade you encounter this amazing phenomena called "kickback". Somehow, I still don't really know how, since it all happened in a flash, the saw blade pulled the block of wood out of my hands, turned it 90 degrees (I could tell from the notch that it carved in the block), and then threw it back at me with incredible force. I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. I actually sat down hard on the floor in front of the saw. Took me a moment to clear my head enough to turn the saw off. I went into the house, pulled up my shirt, and I had a perfect little 1" by 2" welt right there in the middle of my stomach. Developed into a nice big bruise. I still have the block, I keep it on the shelf over my workbench in the garage to remind myself to respect the power tools.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.