Mod to remove a vessel in flight?

I'm looking for a quick way of deleting a vessel that's already in flight.

I know I could go to the Vessels folder and delete the subfolders, but I'm looking for a more error-safe way (I want to avoid human mistakes with the many Vessels that have the same name, for example). Not to mention that there are asteroids there, annoyingly bloating the list of Vessels guids.

I'd rather have a mod that lets me delete the flights in the in-game Tracking Station, for example, in a WYSIWYG kind of way.

Is there such a mod or tool?

Edited by jeancallisti

Deleting the ship from your subfolder won't remove it from flight.

You can delete any ship in flight from your Tracking Station already.  Big red button with an X in it on the bottom left when you select the vessel.

5 minutes ago, jeancallisti said:

Is there such a mod or tool?

Dumb me ! I didn't even know this was a native feature of the game. After years of playing it, it's the first time I need to "cheat" instead of manually de-orbiting an object. Lol!

1 minute ago, jeancallisti said:

Dumb me ! I didn't even know this was a native feature of the game. After years of playing it, it's the first time I need to "cheat" instead of manually de-orbiting an object. Lol!

You can also hide different vessel types from showing up in your tracking station and/or map view.  There are icons on the very top that you can enable/disable viewability of each type.  I believe it's always there in the tracking station, but you have to move your mouse up there in map view to get the buttons to appear.

3 minutes ago, jeancallisti said:

If you want to have more fun with it, there's a mod called TAC Self Destruct that lets you blow up ships with a self destruct module.

Just now, Geonovast said:

You can also hide different vessel types from showing up in your tracking station and/or map view.  There are icons on the very top that you can enable/disable viewability of each type.  I believe it's always there in the tracking station, but you have to move your mouse up there in map view to get the buttons to appear.

Thanks! Happy happy me.

14 hours ago, Boyster said:

Just to add more things you might have missed

Advanced tweakables to turn on the stock magical autostruts in options

and Alt+F12 to open the cheat menu with many options, not only cheats.

Side-tracking discussion (3 questions) :

1. Nowadays, what's the use for autostruts on a reasonably small rocket (100 parts, most of them small thingies like lamps, etc.) ? It seems fairly rigid to me, so would autostruts really be of any benefit?
  2. if I were to want autostruts, what's the mod that lets me add them with the least installation hassle?
  3. How do autostruts work under the hood? I want to play with DMP multiplayer and I don't want autostruts to mess with the ship's integrity in multiplayer, or had a gazillion "hidden" parts that would make the whole system lag.

This mod

saves you the hassle to always go to the tracking station, it also allows removal of any vessel in flight.

As for your questions:

1. I find autostrut very useful for smaller vessels as well to prevent any oscillations.

2. I don't use any mod for that, but there is this one

3. Don't know what exactly you mean by this question, sorry.

1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

3. How does Autostruts work under the hood?

> Don't know what exactly you mean by this question, sorry.

I mean : does it add actual stock struts in important places automatically, or does it alter the parts' physical properties to make them less elastic?

Edited by jeancallisti

1 hour ago, jeancallisti said:

I mean : does it add actual stock struts in important places automatically, or does it alter the parts' physical properties to make them less elastic?

3 hours ago, jeancallisti said:

Side-tracking discussion (3 questions) :

1. Nowadays, what's the use for autostruts on a reasonably small rocket (100 parts, most of them small thingies like lamps, etc.) ? It seems fairly rigid to me, so would autostruts really be of any benefit?
  2. if I were to want autostruts, what's the mod that lets me add them with the least installation hassle?
  3. How do autostruts work under the hood? I want to play with DMP multiplayer and I don't want autostruts to mess with the ship's integrity in multiplayer, or had a gazillion "hidden" parts that would make the whole system lag.

Autostruts are a STOCK feature in the base game.

You DONT need any mod to enable them.

You just go to the options and enable Advanced Tweakables.

There are many guides how to use them.

After enabling them right click almost any part and try to use mostly Grandparent ones.

Avoid the heavy ones.

It can help any craft, especially stations.

Lastly they dont count as a part like the normal struts which is a big thing when you build well big things.

Edited by Boyster

5 hours ago, jeancallisti said:

You can have both, but they are separate functions.  Allow me to clarify:

Autostruts are actual stock struts, but without the graphical component.  In essence, they're invisible struts that do not increase the part count (they still have connections, so too many of them can induce lag).  They come in three modes:  Grandparent, Heaviest, and Root.

Grandparent is the most difficult to describe, but the essence is that when you attach a new part to an existing part, the new part is the child and the existing part is the parent.  If you attach an even newer part to the child, then that is the grandchild and the existing part is its grandparent.  Grandparent autostruts attach to the grandparent of a given part.  In other words, this mode attaches a strut two parts back in the build tree.

Heaviest is straightforward, but you should avoid this except perhaps for launch-stage boosters.  The identity of the heaviest part can change in flight--especially when docking--and the recalculation can cause destructive glitches.

Root is also straightforward, but again should be avoided for anything that docks.  I prefer to use it to connect the lowest launch engine in my core stack to the pod at the tip, because it helps with rigidity of the whole rocket.

There is also a separate option (in the same part action menu as autostruts) called rigid attachment.  It modifies the physical properties to make the joints less elastic.  I typically use rigid attachment for side-mounted boosters and nothing else.

Edited by Zhetaan

16 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

You can have both, but they are separate functions.  Allow me to clarify:

Autostruts are actual stock struts, but without the graphical component.  In essence, they're invisible struts that do not increase the part count (they still have connections, so too many of them can induce lag).  They come in three modes:  Grandparent, Heaviest, and Root.

Grandparent is the most difficult to describe, but the essence is that when you attach a new part to an existing part, the new part is the child and the existing part is the parent.  If you attach an even newer part to the child, then that is the grandchild and the existing part is its grandparent.  Grandparent autostruts attach to the grandparent of a given part.  In other words, this mode attaches a strut two parts back in the build tree.

Heaviest is straightforward, but you should avoid this except perhaps for launch-stage boosters.  The identity of the heaviest part can change in flight--especially when docking--and the recalculation can cause destructive glitches.

Root is also straightforward, but again should be avoided for anything that docks.  I prefer to use it to connect the lowest launch engine in my core stack to the pod at the tip, because it helps with rigidity of the whole rocket.

There is also a separate option (in the same part action menu as autostruts) called rigid attachment.  It modifies the physical properties to make the joints less elastic.  I typically use rigid attachment for side-mounted boosters and nothing else.

Great explanations. Thanks so much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.