The first UFO encounter in KSP?

AncientAstronaut

there has been one case, something similar happened to me. i was doing a low pass past Minmus, just to see how low i could go, so i quick saved at a height i thought was reasonable to pass through. eventually i thought i had got low enough and continued out to burn back to Kerbin. just as i got around the other side of Minmus i noticed a dot a few pixel long, it didn't look like a star, as it was too small. the mun was behind me and too small to be Kerbin. it appeared to be quite close to Minmus so i circularized my orbit and went to check it out. it slowly got bigger and bigger until about 4 kilometers away i noticed it was an exact copy of MY ship. i later checked the persistence file and it turns out the gamed bugged when i quick saved, and my ship had had a copy replaced at the quick save point, just in time for me to see it. is it possible that this happened to you?

You wrote a huge post on seeing a UFO and it's Minmus.

KSP is obvious with stuff they add, and they're focused on getting important updates out, not adding some random UFO.. Seems common sense to me.

Its stated at least once on every page up to this that it is not Minmus, even in the OP.

My hypothesis stands that its a graphical artifact.

You wrote a huge post on seeing a UFO and it's Minmus.

KSP is obvious with stuff they add, and they're focused on getting important updates out, not adding some random UFO.. Seems common sense to me.

This is not the thread to ask about the 0.17 release date (or any thread for that matter). Also, if you're going to ask for UFO's in 0.17, go to the suggestions forum.

Can you upload the other screenshots you took of it to show that its not a one off hoax?

The OP is the best image I got of it, which is why it was the one I used. The light flickered, so most photos show nothing there. The OP was captured at the right time, but I may upload a few others from the incident in a little bit. Currently very busy with other KSP stuff.

I believe that the little white dot, showed by the OP, might be a not so rare event. It is known that Kerbal Kameras might have some dead pixels that translate into white specs. This might be due to vibrations during launch that damage the ccd, or, more comonly known, the Kamera already coming from the manufacturer like this. Some Guy at R&D department said "it would be nice to see more stars on our pictures!".

So... How about that as to debunking?

*sigh*. Why can't people read?

Cause it was too late at night for me to think properly.

This is not the thread to ask about the 0.17 release date (or any thread for that matter). Also, if you're going to ask for UFO's in 0.17, go to the suggestions forum.

Where did you see me say anything about the release date, or give you an indication that I was going to ask about UFOs? >.>

OT like people said it does look like an artifact, white specs because of bugs..

I'm calling hoax.

http://i.imgur.com/TaGCR.jpg

It has blurring from a resolution change, insert one white pixel, upload to imgur with a lossy compression (JPG), and you have an alien fleet.

If mine isn't exactly the same it's likely due to me using a different starting resolution.

EDIT: ZOOM IN and compare, mine looks a bit more silly and obvious because I added a lot of points.

Still a hoax, let it die...

Hey, SLAMS. Since I actually saw it, I'm pretty sure I know it's not a hoax. If you would like to spread lies, please do it somewhere else. Thanks.

I don't mean to attack you personally, however there are three options and occam's razor points to the correct answer.

Either the Devs added a super obscure easter egg that was one in a million.

Or it was a graphical glitch akin to an observer seeing a UFO in real life.

Or the entire thing was a fabrication...

I think it was one of the second two. For example, this object would have to be very far away to be one pixel, however the game engine only renders dynamic objects when they are close. So it is either a moon, a glitch, or a hoax. No moons orbit in that area...

My background in programming and skepticism says there is an issue here.

Edit: Borrowed these "Dream Crushing Boots" from Nova... I only noticed it because I used to work in "document imaging" and the original image is a stereo type of a resolution/compression blur we would have to explain to picky customers.

Edited by SLAMS

Wow, this thread is going downhill.

I'll just leave these here.......

Section 4: Libel, or Verbal Assault and Conflict

A user shall not: Make a topic admonishing, or harassing another user.

A user shall not: Use a thread to admonish, or harass a user.

A user shall not: Harass another user, outside of the forums.

A user shall not: Utilize private messaging to harass another user.

A user shall not: Use the wiki to harass or admonish another user.

Section 5: 'Trolling'

A user shall not: post, or create a topic designed to anger other users.

A user shall not: post to De-rail a topic.

A user shall not: post a comment purely for reaction.

I want to believe

Your avatar pic is just so suiting to that statement.

Also, I have never had something like this happen to me, but I was playing KSP with a friend and we were having a race to get to the moon. He saw something on his screen and called me over to check it out, but I thought he was just kidding to get me off task.

He described something just like this, and now I BELIEVE! lol

I just observed a pecular phenomena of similar appearance.

In my case, I was orbiting Kerbin. Two identical craft within 1KM of each other, as I attempted to rendevous them and use a docking mod I picked up a little while ago.

What I saw was a single pixel that went from just above the edge of kerbin across almost to the left edge of the screen, then doubled back before going upward and vanishing.

I don't think KSP has provision for shooting stars or any of that- and even if it did I was in a stable 100km orbit, too high for such phenomena to be visible.

Initially my thoughts on this thread were that the GPU memory had simply glitched a couple pixels, but seeing a similar blip that was actively moving I am not at all convinced that is the case anymore.

Whatever it is though, it is probably a warning sign of a software issue that we have yet to identify the source of.

That or it is the Kraken itself lurking in the darkness, waiting for a ship that flies too far away from Kerbin to prey on.