[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

On 5/27/2024 at 1:43 AM, bigyihsuan said:

Yes. They have sun-tracking also.

4 hours ago, Gnarf said:

Hey, I've got the problem that all solar panels stop collecting power as soon as I go back to the space centre. I'd like to ask whether that's WAD or whether there is a fix for that, considering that this makes manned interplanetary travel rather hard

Sounds like a similar problem. Are you using kopernicus, AND what version of Kerbalism are you using?

Also, are these stock panels or from a mod like Near Future?

Posted (edited)

I'm using the basic 3x2 stock panels, and yes, I've got Kopernicus and OPM installed. I'm also taking Kerbalism of CKAN, which was 3.17, although I'm just seeing that there is a newer one, so I'm installing that right now and trying again

Edit: Alright, Kerbalism 3.19 and the problem persists. Another thing which also appeared before and I forgot to mention is that if I return to the KSC, the probes battery runs out and I return to it the SAS doesn't work anymore, even though the batteries start recharging the second I load in

Edited by Gnarf

4 hours ago, Gnarf said:

I'm using the basic 3x2 stock panels, and yes, I've got Kopernicus and OPM installed. I'm also taking Kerbalism of CKAN, which was 3.17, although I'm just seeing that there is a newer one, so I'm installing that right now and trying again

Edit: Alright, Kerbalism 3.19 and the problem persists. Another thing which also appeared before and I forgot to mention is that if I return to the KSC, the probes battery runs out and I return to it the SAS doesn't work anymore, even though the batteries start recharging the second I load in

Okay. The SAS issue may be fixed through a F5 save and F9 quickload.

Assuming also that you are using KerbalismConfig and not KerbalismSimplex?

Have you recently updated Kopernicus?

On 4/17/2024 at 8:20 AM, king of nowhere said:

why not?

i ran a full grand tour of it, radiations were no more of a problem than in previous runs. less of a problem, actually, because i had more experience dealing with them. the only real bother way, i could not land a crew in the inner moons of saturn because of too many radiations. but few people use kerbalism to send a crew on saturn anyway.

you may refer to the fact that travel times are longer while radiation exposure is the same, but if properly handled, radiation can be virtually nullified for most situation. so if the mission is longer it doesn't really matter

Funnily enough, IRL this is a Jupiter issue not a Saturn issue.  RSS kerbalism might address that.

Basically stock up on the Radiation parts!

On 5/5/2024 at 3:39 AM, Tupac said:

How can I change the keybinds for this mod? I use the numpad for RCS and it keeps toggling the radiation belts when I'm in the map.

Never been able to work that out but it us annoying i agree!  Sorry.

On 5/17/2024 at 4:26 AM, NaviG said:

Do you know how to use a science mode for kerbalism 3.19?

It hasn't really worked for a while but in terms of profiles you need to edit the KerbalismConfig settings.cfg to change the profile and to check the profile name there is a folder in KerbalismConfig which lists the profiles

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Sounds like a similar problem. Are you using kopernicus, AND what version of Kerbalism are you using?

Also, are these stock panels or from a mod like Near Future?

Kopernicus release-1.12.1-202, Beyond Home 1.5.3 (the ballisticfox fork), Kerbalism 3.19 with Skyhawk Kerbalism v1.0.2, and using a mix of BDB, Near Future, and stock/Restock panels.

Edited by bigyihsuan

1 hour ago, bigyihsuan said:

Kopernicus release-1.12.1-202, Beyond Home 1.5.3 (the ballisticfox fork), Kerbalism 3.19 with Skyhawk Kerbalism v1.0.2, and using a mix of BDB, Near Future, and stock/Restock panels.

I'd ask on the Skyhawk Kerbalism page.  I think it may have something to do with that as it hasn't been updated for nearly a couple of years.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Okay. The SAS issue may be fixed through a F5 save and F9 quickload.

Assuming also that you are using KerbalismConfig and not KerbalismSimplex?

Have you recently updated Kopernicus?

I don't have access to my pc right now, so I can't say with certainty, but I'm pretty sure I'm using KerbalismConfig. I also just updated all my mods on CKAN, so I'm certain I'm using the up to date version of Kopernicus.

I'm gonna try the reload fix when I get home 

Edit: So, I'm using Kopernicus Expansion Continued-er Beta9.11, Kopernicus System Modifier 1.1, as well as Kerbalism Default Config

Edited by Gnarf

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi. Is there any way to establish a radiation-safe orbit with periapsis below the first radiation belt and apoapsis above it?

Edited by Vasiliy

1 hour ago, Vasiliy said:

Hi. Is there any way to establish a radiation-safe orbit with periapsis below the first radiation belt and apoapsis above it?

yes: a polar orbit.

radiation belts are equatorial, so if your orbit is polar, with a high apoapsis above the equator, you will pass over and below the belts.

1 hour ago, Vasiliy said:

Not sure as I've never really tried. 

I guess one that has an inclination of 45 degrees may work? But it may precess around to enter the heliopause.

4 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

yes: a polar orbit.

radiation belts are equatorial, so if your orbit is polar, with a high apoapsis above the equator, you will pass over and below the belts.

Isn't there a high rad band that comes in creating a centre of the donut of the poles?

9 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Not sure as I've never really tried. 

I guess one that has an inclination of 45 degrees may work? But it may precess around to enter the heliopause.

Isn't there a high rad band that comes in creating a centre of the donut of the poles?

ZAD31zm.png

here i'm doing that maneuver. the radiation belt is faint, and you can't see much the third dimension, but you should notice there's a gap between the atmosphere and the radiations, and the ship is passing in between.

also, while it's not very clear, i have a maneuver planned at periapsis to lower orbit to the brown dotter one, and that orbit, while considerably lower, is still high enough to avoid the inner radiation belt of jool entirely (it still gets the outer radiation belt, but laythe sits straight into it, so there's no way around).

d2wvf1K.png

Here I was aiming for a moonlet straight in the middle of the radiation belt, while limiting crew exposure. You can see that the radiation belt only covers around the equator, while a polar orbit will stay too far away from the equatorial plane.

AiypORo.png

Once more, I was aiming for a moonlet in the middle of the belt, but this is perhaps the clearer image. You can see, I am making a very short passage amid the radiations. the orbit goes above the equatorial plane very fast. if I had a lower periapsis, I would avoid the belt entirely.

Hi @king of nowhere @theJesuit. Thank you for your replies.

I did not notice that I am looking for an orbit for the Kerbin orbital station, where the inner radiation belt is more complex and has a sickle-shaped cross-section. With a periapsis of 72 km, apoapsis of 625 km and inclination of 49°, I am already crossing the horns of the inner belt, and still cross the outer belt. Any change moves my orbit into one of the belts. I can try diving into the atmosphere, but do not want to use that kind of cheating.

2 hours ago, Vasiliy said:

I did not notice that I am looking for an orbit for the Kerbin orbital station, where the inner radiation belt is more complex and has a sickle-shaped cross-section. With a periapsis of 72 km, apoapsis of 625 km and inclination of 49°, I am already crossing the horns of the inner belt, and still cross the outer belt. Any change moves my orbit into one of the belts. I can try diving into the atmosphere, but do not want to use that kind of cheating.

I'm not sure it is possible then sorry!

3 hours ago, Vasiliy said:

Hi @king of nowhere @theJesuit. Thank you for your replies.

ah, i see. i never noticed kerbin has a differently-shaped radiation belt. kerbin's belt do hug the atmosphere even at higher latitudes.

so no, on kerbin you cannot have an orbit that avoids the radiation. well, unless you stay in a low circular orbit.

you could keep your station safely in low orbit by sending 500 tons of radiation shields in orbit :rolleyes:

How can I make the highlighting go away on engine failures? I've disabled it in the settings menu but that doesn't change anything, it just resets in the settings everytime I check.

Edited by Sanchez_1

27 minutes ago, Sanchez_1 said:

How can I make the highlighting go away on engine failures? I've disabled it in the settings menu but that doesn't change anything, it just resets in the settings everytime I check.

Try changing it, then, when you are back in flight, F5 to quicksave and F9 to quickload.