[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

How are the bandwidth rates determined for antennas? I have mod parts and the vast majority of them get proper data transmission balance, but a few are from much older and sometimes resurrected mods. Some of them have the same configs as the default starting antennas but have much different bandwidth data rates. I can't figure out how to tweak the balance for these antennas and would appreciate any help in trying to bring these parts into balance with new and updated mods.

Edit: Solution found, it was that the antenna's get patched according to the id name or otherwise caught by a catch all cfg, there are instructions in one of the cfg's about adding modded and or deprecatted antenna patches.

Edited by Publius Kerman

14 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Some antennas are not working, it seems to be limited only to the antenna that don't need to be deployed like Communotron 16-S. Is there a reason for this happening?

The Communotron 16-S is working fine for me. Funny enough though it's the stock part with which the mod part I'm trying to fix is supposed to be balanced.

2 hours ago, Publius Kerman said:

The Communotron 16-S is working fine for me. Funny enough though it's the stock part with which the mod part I'm trying to fix is supposed to be balanced.

That's great for you, however mine isn't and I would like help with that.

21 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

That's great for you, however mine isn't and I would like help with that.

A start might be to upload your GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache file and Logs/ModuleManager/ModuleManager.log file to a file sharing web site (optionally zipped first) and then posting links here, so that we could examine how the 16-S gets configured in your build and which mods are patching it in what order.

6 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

A start might be to upload your GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache file and Logs/ModuleManager/ModuleManager.log file to a file sharing web site (optionally zipped first) and then posting links here, so that we could examine how the 16-S gets configured in your build and which mods are patching it in what order.

Okay, put those files, plus the ModuleManager.ConfigSHA (just in case) in a folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ihjQ_z8pG3BZgk3ZNus--NuBv20HoUOr?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Okay, put those files, plus the ModuleManager.ConfigSHA (just in case) in a folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ihjQ_z8pG3BZgk3ZNus--NuBv20HoUOr?usp=sharing

Looking at your MM config cache, both the com-16 and com-16S have the same packet size and resource costs configured, but the 16S has only 1/4 the power of the extendable 16. 

The cause of this appears to be Probes Before Crew which changes some of the stock antenna settings.

After Kerbalism applies its own antenna patches this results in the 16 having an antenna rating of 1.00M and the 16S having a rating of 250k.

Without PBC both antennae have a rating of 500k.

The shorter range of the 16S is intended behaviour with Probes Before Crew because it is available earlier in the tech tree.

On 3/9/2024 at 12:43 PM, Aelfhe1m said:

Looking at your MM config cache, both the com-16 and com-16S have the same packet size and resource costs configured, but the 16S has only 1/4 the power of the extendable 16. 

The cause of this appears to be Probes Before Crew which changes some of the stock antenna settings.

After Kerbalism applies its own antenna patches this results in the 16 having an antenna rating of 1.00M and the 16S having a rating of 250k.

Without PBC both antennae have a rating of 500k.

The shorter range of the 16S is intended behaviour with Probes Before Crew because it is available earlier in the tech tree.

Okay, so I got rid of PBC and tried switching to QUARTRIX. Also tried switching Kerbalism to version 3.18 to see what happened, but no change.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FKEROswbjmlwO39M0zRuB16iLstkB-OQ?usp=sharing

Now I'm going back to 3.19, but probably no change.

Edited by GuessingEveryDay

Help needed:

Having an issue with "dump" resource in an ISRU process. 

In my example, I am trying to create shielding from the Solid Oxide Electrolysis (SOE) process of an ISRU (tried multiple ISRU convert-o-tron parts).  I am full on Oxygen, and want to dump O2, but even though the PAW process option says to Dump Oxygen, the O2 levels still climb and the shielding production stops when O2 is full.  I can even see that Dumping the shielding doesn't not actually work either, as it continues to produce shielding. 
Does anyone know of a fix for this?  I don't want to have to go into the GameData/KerbalismConfig/Profiles/Default.cfg and delete the O2 output of this process entirely.  So any help is appreciated.

UPDATE:
Solution is to reload the flight scene (leave to Tracking Station/Space Center).  Not sure if switching vessels to a farther unloaded craft would work too.

Edited by Ker Ball One

I'm encountering an issue with my ScanSat satellite.

I made a simple ScanSat thingy with 3 scanners and 3 OX-10L solar panels. In both VAB and in-flight, they work fine; a solar panel produces ~7.7 EC/s, while the scanners combined consume around 4.3 EC/s:

Ib5HKIs.png

Yet as soon as I switch away from the satellite, it starts running out of EC real fast, regardless of whether it's in shadow or full sunlight. As soon as I switch back to the probe it all starts working again, but it obviously kinda screws up my scanning operation (which I wanna do in the background while I do stuff with other craft) and ruins the point of running any cryogenics (as my fuel boils off real fast)...

Looking at the readout in Tracking Center, it seems that the game simply forgets the panels are there in the first place:

wDpYOvN.png

Is this some unsolveable compatibility issue, or is thare any workaround it?

EDIT: Welp, it seems OX-10Ls are stock panels, so dunno if that's even a compatibility issue... I'm honestly at a loss here.
EDIT2: I do admit I'm running a hefty package of mods, but I don't think any parts included here (other than maybe JNSQ planet pack, which is listed as compatible) would be at play here...

Edited by Astraph

@Astraph

I am seeing a similar issue.  Power production while vessel is loaded, but not producing when unloaded. 
Also, I too am seeing that "converter" produce EC.  No idea where that is coming from, as I have nothing else that would produce power.

1UMK7Vh.png

d0SHWdm.png

UPDATE:

I managed to reproduce where my 16.4/s EC was coming from.  I have RTGs and a few EC sources from the Global Construciton mod workshops.
So @Astraph check for other sources of EC to account for that 0.2/s EC.  Are you running an RTG, that is producing EC?

This means that other sources of EC, other than your solar panels, and my reactors, are still working with Kerbalism in the background.

Edited by Ker Ball One

Yeah, this ship has an RTG nuclear engine from (IIRC) Kerbal Atomics - it should be producing some miniscule amount power, so I was not surprised by the "converter" thing - I assumed it's just it's electric output.

6 minutes ago, Astraph said:

Yeah, this ship has an RTG nuclear engine from (IIRC) Kerbal Atomics - it should be producing some miniscule amount power, so I was not surprised by the "converter" thing - I assumed it's just it's electric output.

Were you able to reproduce the same issue using different solar panels, stock and non-stock?

@Astraph I'm trying to reproduce your conditions.  I've installed Kerbal atomics and have a simple remote guidance probe core, with those same solar panels and a nuclear engine.  The solar panels do seem to work when unloaded.   But not seeing power from the RTG on the nuclear engine.

What is the exact part name for your nuclear engine?  Have you tested without any SCANsat parts?  You should be able to test on the launchpad.  Also, can you upload a list of all your mods.

Edited by Ker Ball One

@Astraph I noticed you were running Interstellar, which is why your solar panel output is in MegaJoules rather than stock Electric Charge.  That may be the issue for you.  The nuclear engine/reactor is also from Interstellar btw. 

When I tried to reproduce your setup, the solar panels did still work (even though they have the Interstellar ModuleManager patch that displays MegaJoules).  I cannot replicate your exact issue.  There may be one or more mods that interfere by patching the solar output in a way that breaks Kerbalism's background calculations.

My problem may be similar, but probably from a different cause.  My solar panels always work (loaded or background), but my nuclear reactors (MKS) only work while it's the active loaded vessel.  In fact, it seems like other MKS parts (ex. Nuclear Fuel Plant) also do not perform conversion while in the background.

2 hours ago, Ker Ball One said:

@Astraph I'm trying to reproduce your conditions.  I've installed Kerbal atomics and have a simple remote guidance probe core, with those same solar panels and a nuclear engine.  The solar panels do seem to work when unloaded.   But not seeing power from the RTG on the nuclear engine.

What is the exact part name for your nuclear engine?  Have you tested without any SCANsat parts?  You should be able to test on the launchpad.  Also, can you upload a list of all your mods.

I guess the list of all mods is the point where anyone working on Kerbalism will bonk my head and say they're not even touching it, but welp, 'ere we go:

https://imgur.com/a/MJ5Khqb

The exact name of the engine I'm using is CANDLE Travelling Wave Reactor Engine from Interstellar Extended. I completely forgot IE comes with its own set of stand-along nuclear engines, not just nozzles you need to attach to a Thermal Generator... I apologize for confusion here.

Since I'm also running KTC, launchpad tests would be a hassle, with all the rollout/editing times... I fully admit I might've borked myself with my modding, but after all those years (and KSP2 being the thing I don't wanna talk about) I really wanted a KSP run that'd give a big system for exploration, realistic mechanics and interstellar lategame... So JNSQ, Kerbalism and KSP Interstellar sounded like a way to go.

I do realize the devs explicitly said IS might not be fully compatible with Kerbalism, but I'm not sure if there's another mod that adds such nice beam power system and complex ISRU

Edited by Astraph

3 hours ago, Astraph said:

I guess the list of all mods is the point where anyone working on Kerbalism will bonk my head and say they're not even touching it, but welp, 'ere we go:

https://imgur.com/a/MJ5Khqb

The exact name of the engine I'm using is CANDLE Travelling Wave Reactor Engine from Interstellar Extended. I completely forgot IE comes with its own set of stand-along nuclear engines, not just nozzles you need to attach to a Thermal Generator... I apologize for confusion here.

Since I'm also running KTC, launchpad tests would be a hassle, with all the rollout/editing times... I fully admit I might've borked myself with my modding, but after all those years (and KSP2 being the thing I don't wanna talk about) I really wanted a KSP run that'd give a big system for exploration, realistic mechanics and interstellar lategame... So JNSQ, Kerbalism and KSP Interstellar sounded like a way to go.

I do realize the devs explicitly said IS might not be fully compatible with Kerbalism, but I'm not sure if there's another mod that adds such nice beam power system and complex ISRU

Thanks.  You do have an extensive set of mods (like me).  Probably only one that is incompatible with Kerbalism.  I too can't really play without some of them, especially Kerbalism.

I just fixed my issue (nuclear reactors not producing EC in the background).  Although different from your Solar Panel issue, I will tell you how I solved mine in hopes it can give you an idea on how to fix yours.  
First the bad news, it required knowledge of ModuleManager patches.  Had to read up on the handbook and syntax just to understand a bit how it works.  I found out that Kerbalism does have a support patch for USI nuclear reactors (called ReactorPack).  The MKS parts are a bit different though, and there were no patches for them.  I modified "..\GameData\KerbalismConfig\Support\USI\USI_ReactorPack.cfg" by adding a section that copied from the existing USI_Nuke* parts, for my Tundra_PDU* parts.

I still need to work on getting the MKS resources (also from RationalResources) that are running resource converters, to also process in the background.  I have a semi-self-sustaining base on the Mun.  The power running in the background was crucial, but I also want the reactor, fuel plant, assembly plant and refineries to consume the Machinery resource like they should.  More importantly, I want them converting resources to make parts and materials for further base building.  UPDATE:  Just remembered that resource conversions for MKS uses the stock "catch-up" system.  So they don't get calculated in the background in real-time like Kerbalism (which is important for Life Support systems), but rather will get updated in 6 hour chunks to be resolved to their new values when I reload the vessel.  For base building resource gathering/converting, it is fine.

For your issue.  I too have KCT, but I disable it for testing.  You can just go to Space Center, click (right-click?) the toolbar for KCT, deselect the Enable button and click save.  However, it is better to test with a separate instance, which you can create with CKAN by going to File > manage game instances > Select > New Game Instance > Clone.   This way you can feel free to uninstall mods, mess with config files and really test.  It is also good to uninstall the big mods that are unrelated so your game can load faster so you can test quickly as you make changes.

I would start looking at all the files in GameData\KerbalismConfig/ and start searching for everything that modifies/patches solar panels (I know Interstellar does).  Also search through "..\Logs\ModuleManager\ModuleManager.log" for patches that might load and change things.  Here is the Kerbalism chart for modules that support background simulation.

Edited by Ker Ball One

35 minutes ago, Ker Ball One said:

Looks like a known issue :(
4DWiGOq.png

Yeah, I am fully aware of this note, but the mod compatibility page has not been updated since 2022 (at least if I can read GitHub's GUI correctly - I always have issues with that) and it references IE version 1.22.1, while according to CKAN we now have 1.29.6... So I was hoping that maybe, somehow those compatibility issues got worked out one way or another, as both mods are very popular and I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who'd love to get them combined in their build... ^^'

To answers a few of the last posts, Kerbalism hasn't been in active development since many years now, there are only minor contributions from passing people being released once or twice a year, many of them being specific to the RO/RP1 fork.

Kerbalism is a special mod in the sense that it has its own ecosystem that by default isn't compatible with the way some things are done in stock, especially in regard to everything science related, and everything producing and consuming resources.
For that last aspect in particular, Kerbalism require explicit support for other mods, and due to the lack of maintenance, this support is now often partially or totally out of date, leading to various issues with resource usage in timewarp or in the background.
Regardless of those maintenance related issues, there are some mods that never were really supported and likely never won't, especially large mods that also implement their own ecosystem significantly extending or deviating from the stock paradigms and scope.
This notably include the MKS/USI ecosystem, KSPIE, some WBI mods, and some of the Nertea mods like NFE, NFP and FFT. Even when there are some support patches for those mods, that support is partial and often comes with large caveats.

The scope of Kerbalism never really extended to goals, constraints and hardware beyond what spaceflight is currently at in the real world.
Outside of technical issues, there are more fundamental ones in that Kerbalism tries to implement some aspects of spaceflight that are mostly ignored in stock and that represent huge challenges in reality.
Many of those challenges are largely unsolved problems in the real world and potential future solutions are not really represented (outside of a few silly hacks like the RDU and active shield, which were late additions done due to popular demand).
Overall, Kerbalism simply isn't tuned for mission profiles involving long lasting outer space human presence, and neither for the technologies that would allow them.

All this to say that in the current state of things, Kerbalism is best played in a lightly modded environment, and for a game style close to the real world current technological level and potential mission profiles.
It's definitely possible to play with whatever mods you want, but that will often result in a not very polished, buggy and in my opinion, frustrating experience.

Edited by Gotmachine

I am experiencing an issue with kerbalism+near future electrics. More specifically, the nuclear reactors don't produce electric charge. There is an option to turn the reactor on, but although heat is produced the reactors don't produce electricity. They don't even show up in the planner. I also have system heat installed, so that may be causing some issues.