[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

they do generate electricity. make sure to tell them to dump xenon. they produce small amounts of xenon, and if they cannot store it somewhere, and are not told to dump it, they stop working.

as for the heat, no, they do not produce it as they should. nothing stops you from still using radiators.

Is this intentional, and if so, is the xenon intended to be utilized in some way? 

Is there a way to edit any files to return the reactors to generating electric charge?

Appreciate all your help!

It is intentional, of course. Nuclear fission of uranium produces a large amount of xenon isotopes as a by-product in real life, as well. You can attach a xenon tank to your craft if you want to accumulate and use it, or just dump it if you don't need it. 

1 hour ago, ble210 said:

Is this intentional, and if so, is the xenon intended to be utilized in some way? 

Is there a way to edit any files to return the reactors to generating electric charge?

Appreciate all your help!

it is intentional. the xenon can be utilized to fuel ion engines. My mothership had a few small scout probes that were fueled entirely by the waste of the reactors. though the amount of xenon produced is really small, it's unlikely to be useful.

anyway, you do not need to edit files or anything to use the reactors. as i said, you merely must tell them to dump xenon. like this

7nT0RYN.png

7 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

Repairing my mothership is a painful operation requiring a long spacewalk to fit a kerbal into every nook and cranny, all the while under heavy lag. It's fascinating the first time, but it gets tedious after a while.

It occurred to me that I could significantly shorten the operation by increasing the range to which the kerbal can perform such repairs. Instead of having to fly around the ship, I can just do everything with the kerbal standing still on a ladder. And all it would take would be manually editing a single value in a file; the one telling the range for inspections and repairs. Unfortunately, that single piece of information in the large code is like the metaphorical needle in the metaphorical haystack.

Do anyone know where I can find that instruction?

thanks

bump because it's getting swamped, with update.

i've been looking at the kerbalism code, and i've seen nothing referring to that. i'm not thinking, since you can inspect parts when you can also get other options with them (like open/close for cargo bays) that the relevant instruction must be in the stock game code.

still hoping someone can help me, though i'll keep finely combing at the code. it's far less time consuming than all the repairs i have to make

37 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

i've been looking at the kerbalism code, and i've seen nothing referring to that. i'm not thinking, since you can inspect parts when you can also get other options with them (like open/close for cargo bays) that the relevant instruction must be in the stock game code.

still hoping someone can help me, though i'll keep finely combing at the code. it's far less time consuming than all the repairs i have to make

I know you can adjust the KIS EVA grab distance in the KIS config file.  Not sure about Stock Construction and Stock Repair.

You might try editing:

EVA_CONSTRUCTION_RANGE = 7

In your settings.cfg file for KSP.  I believe the number is meters.  I recall I made mine quite a bit bigger, but maybe default is 7, not sure

Edited by darthgently

31 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Doesn't look like it is exposed as  a field. The range for inspect and repair actions seems to be fixed at 3.5 (metres presumably). This line is the relevant one in the code:

https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/blob/1d6c68e090d9f07092306f2e0702aec4a5908e1f/src/Kerbalism/Modules/Reliability.cs#L543

1 minute ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Doesn't look like it is exposed as  a field. The range for inspect and repair actions seems to be fixed at 3.5 (metres presumably). This line is the relevant one in the code:

https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/blob/1d6c68e090d9f07092306f2e0702aec4a5908e1f/src/Kerbalism/Modules/Reliability.cs#L543

Pretty sure it is in settings.cfg as EVA_CONSTRUCTION_RANGE

Not sure we are talking the same thing though

2 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Pretty sure it is in settings.cfg as EVA_CONSTRUCTION_RANGE

Not sure we are talking the same thing though

That's the stock EVA construction/repair system. Kerbalism has its own system.

Edited by Aelfhe1m
rogue apostrophe

43 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

but where is the reliability.cs file?

I'm not a specialized programmer, I can edit the text files that I see but I'm now suspecting there are a lot of hidden files my pc isn't showing me...

11 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

but where is the reliability.cs file?

I'm not a specialized programmer, I can edit the text files that I see but I'm now suspecting there are a lot of hidden files my pc isn't showing me...

It's part of the source code for the compiled DLL rather than something that the average user can change for themselves. Only the .cfg and .xml files are trivially changeable with just a text editor (and ModuleManager for patches).

4 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

it is intentional. the xenon can be utilized to fuel ion engines. My mothership had a few small scout probes that were fueled entirely by the waste of the reactors. though the amount of xenon produced is really small, it's unlikely to be useful.

anyway, you do not need to edit files or anything to use the reactors. as i said, you merely must tell them to dump xenon. like this

Thank you!  I followed your instructions, and now they are generating electricity.  I appreciate the help!

Hey,

sorry for the maybe stupid question, but how can I see, which science (part) can be done on asteroids?

And can it be done only once or are there different "biomes"/asteroids, for example in JNSQ?

Would it be possible to allow repairing failed (as in, red, completely unusable) engines using the EVA repair kits and a sufficiently trained (say, maybe level 3?) engineer? It would help make them less of a mission-ending issue and reward preparation.

8 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Would it be possible to allow repairing failed (as in, red, completely unusable) engines using the EVA repair kits and a sufficiently trained (say, maybe level 3?) engineer? It would help make them less of a mission-ending issue and reward preparation.

it would require changing the whole code.

anyway, kerbalism does reward preparation. you simply have to carry multiple engines. if you take a look at some of the kerbalism mission reports in my signature, you'll see that I always use designs with multiple engines, making sure that the ship can function with any one engine broken. the most common option for landers is using 6 cubs instead of 1 terrier. yes, of course the ship performs worse; adding redundancies adds mass. it's the price of being prepared. I also make sure to have backup engines.

Finally, if you want to always be able to repair engines, you can simply go in the kerbalism options and set critical failure chance to 0. this way, all failures will be noncritical

I am seeing tons of errors in my logs right now of

[EXC 20:28:07.544] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KERBALISM.Background.ProcessAsteroidDrill (Vessel v, ProtoPartSnapshot p, ProtoPartModuleSnapshot m, ModuleAsteroidDrill asteroid_drill, KERBALISM.VesselResources resources, System.Double elapsed_s) (at <508759cbee33445e8d50142044bd4b10>:0)
	KERBALISM.Background.Update (Vessel v, KERBALISM.VesselData vd, KERBALISM.VesselResources resources, System.Double elapsed_s) (at <508759cbee33445e8d50142044bd4b10>:0)
	KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate () (at <508759cbee33445e8d50142044bd4b10>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Is this a known problem or would you like all the logs and whatnot?

Hi. I have a question about nitrogen. How do I avoid losing pretty much all of it when I send a kerbal to do an eva. When I'm building the rocket I get that I have nitrogen for like 7 years, but do 1 eva and suddenly is almost, if not all, gone. Is there some way to prevent this besides bringing more nitrogen? Is just that I find absurd that I have, supposedly, so much and one minute later is gone.

1 hour ago, Jofe said:

Hi. I have a question about nitrogen. How do I avoid losing pretty much all of it when I send a kerbal to do an eva. When I'm building the rocket I get that I have nitrogen for like 7 years, but do 1 eva and suddenly is almost, if not all, gone. Is there some way to prevent this besides bringing more nitrogen? Is just that I find absurd that I have, supposedly, so much and one minute later is gone.

This is actually fairly realistic for the depressurizing/repressurizing event EVAs are assumed to be.  They are very lossy, as you are essentially opening the door to well...  space..

Edited by R-T-B

7 hours ago, Jofe said:

you actually have very little nitrogen, a few kg at most; it's just that hull losses are very small, so nitrogen lasts a long time. Load a bigger tank for 50-100 kg of nitrogen, and it will last a lot of evas.

You also get somwhat lower losses if you deactivate pressure control while going eva

6 hours ago, R-T-B said:

This is actually fairly realistic for the depressurizing/repressurizing event EVAs are assumed to be.  They are very lossy, as you are essentially opening the door to well...  space..

Actually, it shoulnd't be. You don't open the door to space venting all the air within; you pump the air in the airlock into a tank, then you open to space when the airlock is already in near vacuum.

Now, some small, simple crafts do actually vent air in space, because it's easier if you only have to go eva once. But I do believe the iss has more elaborate airlocks that recover the air and don't vent it in space. I'm not actually sure, though, and a quick search wasn't conclusive.

40 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Now, some small, simple crafts do actually vent air in space, because it's easier if you only have to go eva once. But I do believe the iss has more elaborate airlocks that recover the air and don't vent it in space. I'm not actually sure, though, and a quick search wasn't conclusive.

Retrieving airlock air instead of dumping it overboard involves a big pump and additional equipment.
This add complexity and weight, so unless the mission involves a lot of EVAs, it is way more efficient to just bring a bit more nitrogen and oxygen.

As far as I know, only the ISS Quest airlock has such a recovery system, and only something like 70% of the air is reclaimed (because the closer you get to vacuum, the harder it is to pump), some amount is still dumped overboard.

And there is the issue that pumping air is slow, unless you have a really huge pump. If I remember correctly, for the Quest airlock, the procedure takes about 1 hour.
During that time, the EVAing crew is stuck waiting in the airlock, consuming their EVA suit air/electricity/etc, so there is a point of diminishing returns there too.

speaking of nitrogen lost in eva, there is a bug where sometimes a lot more nitrogen is lost than it should be. I have a recent version of kerbalism, downloaded a couple month ago, and this bug still happened, depleting a stockpile of 1000 nitrogen in a single eva. is there a chance that the bug may be fixed?

14 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I'm not against the concept. Just wishing there was another way that didn't involve bringing/producing more nitrogen for shorter trips. Which reminds me of something I forgot to mention yesterday, why do you keep using nitrogen while you're on eva? I understand using it to regain pressure on the capsule after someone goes in or out, but the problem (for me at least) is that it's constantly used while there's a kerbal on eva, but the second they go back in it stops. Do they forget to close the door or something? (I mean, they're kerbals so maybe the do)

8 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

you actually have very little nitrogen, a few kg at most; it's just that hull losses are very small, so nitrogen lasts a long time. Load a bigger tank for 50-100 kg of nitrogen, and it will last a lot of evas.

You also get somwhat lower losses if you deactivate pressure control while going eva

Actually, it shoulnd't be. You don't open the door to space venting all the air within; you pump the air in the airlock into a tank, then you open to space when the airlock is already in near vacuum.

I see, gonna try it. Still wished there was some kind of airlock part in order to prevent this. I think there's a mod that has it, but I don't think it will interact with Kerbalism in that way. 

Thank you all

Edited by Jofe