Docking mod

Pleborian

How did they possibly get the docking to work when time is accelerated?

It looks, as if when the craft docked, it became one. hopefully you can de-dock afterwords XD

EDIT:

i got idea, i could using the docking mod, launch up, with command module only, then later, attach rcs, engines, and make a giant spacebuilt ship! I cant wait for this to be released!

I'd say that the natural progression of the game is space -> orbit -> crash on Mun -> land on Mun -> land on Minmus -> orbital rendezvous (within sight) -> orbital rendezvous (matching speeds) -> orbital rendezvous (landing-leg docking).

I've done all of them, except the landing leg docking thingy (last time I played seriously animated landing legs didn't exist). I'd say there was an extra stage: rendezvous with a craft in a non-circular inclined orbit. Not necessarily much harder in practice, but psychologically much harder. I had to do it to save the crew of a rescue ship that had save a stranded Kerbal from the Mun only to run out of all fuel in a stupid attempt to land at KSP.

Anyway, this looks like a pretty neat mod. Certainly opens up a few new possibilities, though I think I'll have to try it for myself before I start making plans.

For everyone suggesting that docking should be automatic read and practice the following link.

Don't use the High orbit to slow down, low orbit to speed up method, it's way to slow and difficult and this works much better.

Derp

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/8915-Orbital-Rendezvous-Made-Easy?highlight=Orbital+Rendezvous+Made+Easy

Docking should never be automated...

Broken link

Broken link

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/8915-Orbital-Rendezvous-Made-Easy?highlight=orbital+rendezvous+made+easy

AFAIK this does not work. He never accelerated time in the video.

Yeah he did. Towards the end of the video he accelerates to 50x for a bit. No problems at all.

[EDIT] He didn't here, but he does in another video on youtube.

Edited by willitstimothy

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/8915-Orbital-Rendezvous-Made-Easy?highlight=orbital+rendezvous+made+easy

Yeah he did. Towards the end of the video he accelerates to 50x for a bit. No problems at all.

Dang it, you beat me to both of those replies XD this post is now void of any use whatsoever

why restrict yourself to apollo style missions, when it gets released im going strait for the IMIS project! im pretty sure you would have seen that video that someone posted not long ago,if not check it out its definatly the way to go especially with 0.17

They never said they were going to restrict themselves to it! XD The possibilities are endless with the ability to dock lol

So what's the most outrageous thing you can do with docking? I mean complicated, not just docking absurdly large numbers of small craft together in LKO

Consider the basic send a lander and send an orbital rescue craft plan, now extend that to two planets. you send a lander to each planet, send an extra interplanetary transfer vehicle to the first planet. everything waits in orbit while your crew come on a transport, dock with the first lander, decend, acend, dock with the transfer craft, go to the next planet, repeat with as many planets as you like. In addition, all craft were assembled in multiple pieces on KLO.

Once docking is really in full swing, I plan to have Depo stations in orbit around remote planets which have a few detachable parts, such as replacement tanks and engines, which can be docked onto visiting craft to refuel them.

my recipe for making really wild docking missions, take all the mission phases and break them into pieces which dock together somewhere, recurse ad infinitum.

Edited by nhnifong

So what's the most outrageous thing you can do with docking? I mean complicated, not just docking absurdly large numbers of small craft together in LKO

Consider the basic send a lander and send an orbital rescue craft plan, now extend that to two planets. you send a lander to each planet, send an extra interplanetary transfer vehicle to the first planet. everything waits in orbit while your crew come on a transport, dock with the first lander, decend, acend, dock with the transfer craft, go to the next planet, repeat with as many planets as you like. In addition, all craft were assembled in multiple pieces on KLO.

Once docking is really in full swing, I plan to have Depo stations in orbit around remote planets which have a few detachable parts, such as replacement tanks and engines, which can be docked onto visiting craft to refuel them.

my recipe for making really wild docking missions, take all the mission phases and break them into pieces which dock together somewhere, recurse ad infinitum.

Hmm. Interesting question ... sort of off-topic, but related to your ludicrous plans :D ... but has anyone considered the fact that an 'orbital construction' mod part could be placed in orbit around another planet when 0.17 comes out?

Having an inter-planetary bus system that can visit every body in the Kerbol system by docking with a lander/orbiter at each location, and then just discard it* and move on to the next planet/moon lol.

At least that's the most complicated thing I can think of. Doesn't involve docking a ridiculous amount of crafts together in orbit either XD just the ability to dock with anything, anywhere, and at any time in the system, really allows for many things to be possible that wouldn't be possible with individual rockets.

*or have it refueled by a base at said planet; if that base can replenish their fuel, you can just make space colonies everywhere and just hop around wherever you want! At that point, interstellar travel would be needed so we wouldn't get bored with our domination over the Kerbol system! Like I said, endless possibilities; the universe will be at the Kerbal's fingertips >=D

Edit: noticed that my first paragraph is very similar to your post nhnifong... we were certainly thinking the same thing haha

"Greetings fellow Kerbals,

for the past few weeks i have been working on a little addon for Kerbal Space Program. In this video series i will be demonstrating some of it's features:

- Simple autopilot for active and inactive ships

- Some kind of 'docking'

- Unmanned pods & remote control system that make debris pilotable

- Decouplers controlled by keys rather than staging

- Ship to ship fuel transfer & fuel dump

Once i get all bugs fixed and features implemented i will release it in the KSP forums."

- The uploader of the videos

Oh lawd in 3... 2... 1...

"Greetings fellow Kerbals,

for the past few weeks i have been working on a little addon for Kerbal Space Program. In this video series i will be demonstrating some of it's features:

- Simple autopilot for active and inactive ships

- Some kind of 'docking'

- Unmanned pods & remote control system that make debris pilotable

- Decouplers controlled by keys rather than staging

- Ship to ship fuel transfer & fuel dump

Once i get all bugs fixed and features implemented i will release it in the KSP forums."

- The uploader of the videos

Oh lawd in 3... 2... 1...

i love how he calls it a "little addon" XD

Fuel transfer sounds great. I think I will try to build a large station in LKO with a grid of docking points for fuel tanks. I'll design a rocket to deliver large fuel tanks to this station and then attach my interplanetary spacecraft and top off the tanks before they head off to the great unknown.

Edit: Also, making a large interplanetary traveling craft that is totally reusable. You could build this thing in orbit and have server docking points on the outside. Attach command pods, rovers, anything else you want to bring. Fly to your destination. They fill the tanks when you get back and leave it in orbit. Send the crew back home and launch the next lucky passengers up.

Make the lander a reusable space plane and you are really in business.

Edited by Mode7

Totally what I want to do, although I'd enjoy doing it with generating fuel. Having that base on Duna that also mines for fuel, capable of refueling your reusable spacecraft, that's what I will enjoy the most I believe. In Orbiter, I saw somebody take their space plane to Mars, and without enough fuel to get back, and I thought it was awesome that they could just refuel there and head back to Earth. It's a great concept I think.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.