[1.4.3 <= KSP <= 1.12.5] KSP Recall - 0.5.0.2- 2024-0521

Lisias

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Tangle said:

Fascinating. I'm not entirely sure why KSP-Recall would throw an error when its .dlls are in the folder that they were in when I downloaded it, but noted- so ripping the KSP-Recall folder out isn't enough to uninstall it?

Everything is fascinating to the eyes of the layman. :)

KSP-Recall relies on a thing called Assembly Loader/Resolver (just ALR from now on) to find its DLLs. If this ALR is borked, KSP-Recall fails to load its DLLs (obviously) and complains it didn't found the DLLs.

You remove KSP-Recall, you remove the one complaining openly about not being able to load DLLs, but you are not fixing the ALR and so anyone still in need to load a DLL will bork the same. Unfortunately, it's practice on this Scene to shoot the Messenger, so most add'on authors try to keep a low profile when a problem happens in the hopes someone else will fix the problem without pinpointing them as the cause of a problem that it's not their fault.

Exactly as you did now.

Since you still have this ALR problem, and since some add'ons get themselves into a savegame in a way that will destroy it if a bork happens on these add'ons, I'm concluding your are now in a very dire strait - risking to lose your savegames by not apparent reason, if not today, later when such an add'on gets installed in your rig.

Ideally you should diagnose your rig to detect why ALR is screwed on your rig. This would not only "fix" Recall, but also prevent any further damages as I explained above.

But, yet, it's your choice to do it or not.

What you did was something like removing a blown fuse from your car without checking why it blew at first place. Whatever had blown that fuse are still lingering on the car, and will potentially melt something and cause a fire - or not, sometimes it's not that bad. But since we can't know if it's bad or not without checking first, responsible people check their car when a fuse blows.

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammars made slightely less entertaining...

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

Everything is fascinating to the eyes of the layman. :)

KSP-Recall relies on a thing called Assembly Loader/Resolver (just ALR from now on) to find its DLLs. If this ALR is borked, KSP-Recall fails to load its DLLs (obviously) and complains it didn't found the DLLs.

You remove KSP-Recall, you remove the one complaining openly about not being able to load DLLs, but you are not fixing the ALR and so anyone still in need to load a DLL will bork the same. Unfortunately, it's practice on this Scene to shoot the Messenger, so most add'on authors try to keep a low profile when a problem happens in the hopes someone else will fix the problem without pinpointing them as the cause of a problem that it's not their fault.

Exactly as you did now.

Since you still have this ALR problem, and since some add'ons get themselves into a savegame in a way that will destroy it if a bork happens on these add'ons, I'm concluding your are now in a very dire strait - risking to lose your savegames by not apparent reason, if not today, later when such an add'on gets installed in your rig.

Ideally you should diagnose your rig to detect why ALR is screwed on your rig. This would not only "fix" Recall, but also prevent any further damages as I explained above.

But, yet, it's your choice to do it or not.

What you did was something like removing a blown fuse from your car without checking why it blew at first place. Whatever had blown that fuse are still lingering on the car, and will potentially melt something and cause a fire - or not, sometimes it's not that bad. But since we can't know if it's bad or not without checking first, responsible people check their car when a fuse blows.

I see. From my perspective, what happened was:
First, I decide to install a new version of KSP-Recall- considering I've been using an 0.2.x.x version for a while and I noticed there are new ones.

Second, I start the game and it starts throwing this error; which it hadn't been doing on the earlier version at all.

Third, I figure "well, it says it's not finding the .dll in the right folder, so I should move it up!"

Fourth, I ask for help- figuring a response won't come for a while.

Fifth, I discover that it won't work no matter how I place the .dlls.

Do you have any advice for figuring out the functionality of ALR? Do I need to reinstall .NET or something? Thank you for the advice, either way!

Edited by Tangle

35 minutes ago, Tangle said:

Do you have any advice for figuring out the functionality of ALR? Do I need to reinstall .NET or something? Thank you for the advice, either way!

Besides not being impossible, it's extremely unlikely such a marvelous bug would be happening on the latest KSP-Recall because, well, I tested the thing before publishing - and I'm using it on all my test beds I use to develop and do support. Just in case, I downloaded the latest from github and SpaceDock, and they not only are identical as by installing them, they worked fine on a minimal installment. So, unless we had found a very new borderline situation, it's almost sure something else is borking the ALR.

Reproduce the problem, quit KSP, publish the KSP.log on dropbox or similar service and post the link here. I will inspect the thing and diagnose the problem, so we can fix it.

But you can try to figure out yourself by looking the KSP.log for Warnings related to Failing to loading Dependencies, usually on the initial stages of the KSP loading, before even Module Manager kicking in.

The most usual error message looks like

[LOG 13:50:57.747] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies
[WRN 13:50:57.748] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'CC_RemoteTech' has not met dependency 'RemoteTech' V1.7.0
[WRN 13:50:57.748] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'CC_RemoteTech' is missing 1 dependencies
[WRN 13:50:57.748] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'RCSBuildAidToolbar' has not met dependency 'Toolbar' V1.0.0
[WRN 13:50:57.748] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'RCSBuildAidToolbar' is missing 1 dependencies
[WRN 13:50:57.748] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'SCANmechjeb' has not met dependency 'MechJeb2' V2.5.0
[WRN 13:50:57.748] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'SCANmechjeb' is missing 1 dependencies

On the example above, the user fixed their problem by installing Toolbar and MechJeb2 and then removing CC_RemoteTech.dll (as the user wanted the Contract Configurator but wasn't interested on RemoteTech).

Keep in mind that these are the most usual triggers for the ALR bug, but there're more ways to trigger it - they are usually Reflection Exceptions, like this one:

[ERR 16:47:21.274] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPUtil, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 16:47:21.275] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'EvaFollower': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Most of the time, the first System.Reflection.Exception pinpoints the faulty component, being the remaining ones splash damaged induced by this first bork (once the first one happens, the ALR bug kicks in and from that point, everything else are consequence).

But, and again, some add'ons when installed changes the order in which things are logged (don't ask, never understood why) and so the first ocurrence would not be the trigger - MJ2 is known to cause this weird collateral effect.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, BSS_Snag said:

Yippee! May I request some bug bashing help please? KSP Hangs and doesn't pass loading KSP Burst Compiler

Ksp.log, MMPatch.log and ModuleManager.log here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rSpr37j5Yk7qwPtE-b2rvy-3d06IpStc/view?usp=sharing

edit  : Downgrading Universal Storage 2 back down to 4.0.1.1 seemed to fix the issue.

I will left this note here for future reference, in the case someone do a search for the problem.

The problem happened exactly after MM lists the loaded DLLs, and before KSP start to build the part database:

[EXC 14:06:08.985] InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
    System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException (System.ExceptionResource resource) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1+Enumerator[T].MoveNextRare () (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1+Enumerator[T].MoveNext () (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    KSPBurst.KSPBurst.FlushMessages () (at <c8b5fe2baff6415cb73ea658bdb44b4c>:0)
    KSPBurst.KSPBurst+<BurstCompile>d__20.MoveNext () (at <c8b5fe2baff6415cb73ea658bdb44b4c>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[LOG 14:06:09.164] PartLoader: Creating part database

It looks as something Burst Compiler does not knows how to cope with, and not a bug on the US2's assembly. This should be reported for the Burst Compiler guys so they can find out if there's something they can do about, as adding US2 into a ignore list.

• 1 month later...

Hi again. Bigger implosion this time

Something is causing a memory leak (I Think) and eating 32gbs of ram during loading up the game and crashing my pc. Parallax-Continued was the last mod i installed, care to take a look?  Every .log file i could find is attached below  (Heavily modded, but no problems before installing this Early  access version of parallax continued)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oaMRcxDiMgjiK879KWrR8d0Xjcs26Dmn?usp=sharing

(
Edit 1: It managed to boot this time after reinstalling Lisas's Tweakscale  correctly but it still did eat up 95% of the ram. )

Edited by BSS_Snag
Time for a biblical Flood

20 hours ago, BSS_Snag said:

Hi again. Bigger implosion this time

Something is causing a memory leak (I Think) and eating 32gbs of ram during loading up the game and crashing my pc. Parallax-Continued was the last mod i installed, care to take a look?  Every .log file i could find is attached below  (Heavily modded, but no problems before installing this Early  access version of parallax continued)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oaMRcxDiMgjiK879KWrR8d0Xjcs26Dmn?usp=sharing

(
Edit 1: It managed to boot this time after reinstalling Lisas's Tweakscale  correctly but it still did eat up 95% of the ram. )

Hi.

I had run your KSP.log on some of my tools, beside you probably had already realized the problem.

I was intending to do a full report, but these procedures are still manual on my toolchain and so I will just leave this here:

364591729-8ebfba3d-3c64-4b65-832c-0a1f16

You see, you have installed add'ons meant to be run on KSP 1.0.5, like Kosmodrome. While parts only add'ons will probably work, the ones with Assemblies will almost surely screw up your life for good.

The CKAN import file I generated can be downloaded here. For my future reference, this is the full diagnosis.

Cheers, and good luck!

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammars made slightely less entertaining...

29 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Hi.

I had run your KSP.log on some of my tools, beside you probably had already realized the problem.

I was intending to do a full report, but these procedures is still manual and so I will just leave this here:

364591729-8ebfba3d-3c64-4b65-832c-0a1f16

You see, you have installed add'ons meant to be run on KSP 1.0.5, like Kosmodrome. While parts only add'ons will probably work, the ones with Assemblies will almost surely screw up your life for good.

The CKAN import file I generated can be downloaded here. For my future reference, this is the full diagnosis.

Cheers, and good luck!

Everything is technically alive again, (Uninstalled and Installed stuff again until it worked). But i will have a cull of some of the older mods.

It does give me the weakest excuse to go buy more ram....

Edited by BSS_Snag
funny

1 hour ago, BSS_Snag said:

Everything is technically alive again, (Uninstalled and Installed stuff again until it worked). But i will have a cull of some of the older mods.

IMHO, CKAN is missing a very important feature: specifying the compatible KSP versions oveerride add'on by add'on. This huge, global setting we have now does more damage than good.

As time passes, we know which old add'ons can be used on modern add'ons and which ones cannot. We should be able to override the KSP lock on the add'on level...

Anyway. :)

1 hour ago, BSS_Snag said:

It does give me the weakest excuse to go buy more ram....

There's no such a thing as "too much RAM" !! :sticktongue: