Aeroforce Overlay Vectors

Is there a technical explanation of these things somewhere from @SQUAD that someone could point me to?  

Some of the vectors seem pretty obvious... 

Not sure why propellers throw magenta vectors way out beyond their rotational diameter?

Someone also mentioned to me that just because a part does not have a red drag vector, it doesn't mean the part has no drag?  (ladders for instance)  Is that true?  If so, at what point are the drag vectors displayed then?

I'd really like to know what each of these vectors are trying to tell me from the perspective of the people that created them.  As opposed to educated guesses...  

Vector Colors:

• Red
  • Green
  • Yellow 
  • Magenta/Pink
  • Dark Blue
  • Teal/Light Blue

...did I miss any? 

Edited by XLjedi

There was a brief period when motors came out in BG, before the propeller parts got added.  Using the stock aero parts, it was a big struggle to get much power out of elevons and basic fins with the inherent motor speed limit of 460rpm (and this was true for krakentech mechanisms before BG too, the true unmodded  speed limit is something like 500rpm).  For example this nastiness only got max 85m/s top speed.

When the props dropped, they had these disconnected magenta vectors. It’s a hack of sorts - the game treats them as having a much larger aero surface than they really have, by applying the force at a much greater distance.  That greatly magnifies their force when spinning relative to regular parts. The result in a similar craft was more then triple the top speed with lower part count. 

edit - as for other questions, I’ve noticed many cases where shielded parts in cargo bays also throw red drag arrows, but the amount of drag actually applied is zero. Seems to be complex or broken rules about red vectors

Edited by fourfa

Found the official meaning of the green vector (I think you had another post about them) and here it is:

In the changelog it says, "* Blade rotation axis shown as green arrow in aero debug display. Length is logarithmically proportional to rotation velocity (vessel relative)." in the Improvements section.

9 hours ago, RoninFrog said:

Found the official meaning of the green vector (I think you had another post about them) and here it is:

In the changelog it says, "* Blade rotation axis shown as green arrow in aero debug display. Length is logarithmically proportional to rotation velocity (vessel relative)." in the Improvements section.

At least that rules out the green vectors as applying some sort of force that was causing unwanted yaw.  Thanks!

I might use some of the text to fill in a definition for that one since it is info that came from @SQUAD.   Would be nice if I didn't have to piecemeal it together and someone would just tell us how they all work?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.