[WIP] Boring Crew Services - Stockalike Starliner Mod

DylanSemrau

On 9/10/2024 at 4:57 PM, Zorg said:
After talking it over with Dylan, I've decided to continue BCS.

Thought I was going to just finish up the missing bits but we decided it was a good idea to retexture the whole thing at 300ppm (instead of 200, a 50% bump in resolution) same as BDB's Apollo. Some progress:

0h1TYMt.jpeg

ZL24dFd.jpeg

ipP9BHV.jpeg

K9wTXdO.jpeg

Plan is loosely as follows:

- Texture revamp of current assets at 300px/m. This is a major effort as it requires remapping everything and redoing the textures from scratch (of course following Dylan's style). The blankets and tiles on the main capsule are done so far.
- The logos will be removed so it can be customized with decals instead. The stripe remains though. An alternate texture with Boeing and Boring Crew Services logos included might be made available in an Extras package.
- Finish parachute bay
- Docking port lid is already modeled by Dylan, this will be integrated into the top cover and animated
- Add parachutes. The swing arm is being looked at if its possible. Not sure yet though.
- Landing bags. Probably BCS will get its own dll and we will borrow the mercury landing bags module from BDB
- Adjustments to centaur adapter, additional adapter sizes
- Animating the service module decoupler (instead of adding animated decouplers as a dependency, will probably borrow the module from BDB into a new BCS plugin).
- Various bug fixes
- Balance pass
- Variants: Default blue grey blankets, white blankets, white painted (restock like), bare metal (Apollo style), and maybe some kind of fully tiled variant.
- PBR texture conversion

IVA is a long term wishlist item. We will see.

I know people have waited a long time but I must ask that you be patient as doing all this will take some time. No ETA will be provided as it really depends on how much time I have. But I am definitely motivated to work on this as Dylan has made an absolute gorgeous model which  is a fantastic base to continue from. And I see BCS as a companion to my new Atlas V soon to be released in the next update to BDB.

God this is going to be perfect for use with my ISS build.

3 hours ago, BSS_Snag said:

@ZorgOne question relating to the spacecraft adapters, What sizes will it adapter to? 1.875 for Centaur of course but others like 2.5 and 3.125?

I haven't decided yet. 2.5 and 3.125m for sure. Am considering 3.75m and 4.25/4.375m too. The alternate adapters would probably be static conical adapters rather than a truss with fairing like the original.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

I haven't decided yet. 2.5 and 3.125m for sure. Am considering 3.75m and 4.25/4.375m too. The alternate adapters would probably be static conical adapters rather than a truss with fairing like the original.

Can you consider 3.5m? I love the KODS Vulcan and CentaurV. It would also be to scale with BDB Atlas5xx fairings and those are the scale of Vulcan. 

11 hours ago, Zorg said:

Any chance that 2.5 will have a b9ps for a truss variant, given its still smaller than the SM

20 minutes ago, SofieBrink said:

Any chance that 2.5 will have a b9ps for a truss variant, given its still smaller than the SM

Uh idk yet. The thought crossed my mind but I havent planned this out properly yet. Depends on how the texture sheet works out and if the existing truss structure can be reused since I dont want to make a new one for it.

5 minutes ago, bjbeardse said:

What parachutes do you reccomend. Since those cool custom ones were not in the DL I assume you have a stock solution until they are done.

I've used the ones that come with Benjee_10's Orion (ACK) mod for starliner previously. 
But its worth noting that none of the new stuff Zorg has been showing off here has been released yet. As far as i know he hasn't even gotten it in the game himself yet.

4 hours ago, Quinby Kerman said:

IMO there should be some adapters to standard sizes, and making this compatible with @benjee10's Orion would be so cool (and very interesting) to see.

Adapters to standards sizes is what the entire conversation above is about....

I dont know what you mean by compatibility with Benjee's orion. Its a much largers capsule than starliner. Starliner isnt going to fit the Orion SM decoupler and umbilical.

1 hour ago, bjbeardse said:

What parachutes do you reccomend. Since those cool custom ones were not in the DL I assume you have a stock solution until they are done.

As Sofie pointed out none of the new stuff is in game yet. I only took over working on this mod a couple of weeks ago and we've made good progress so far. Revamped parts and new parachutes will be in game before too long.