[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

And you didn't post THAT output log because....?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ribuduachcqekoe/output_log.txt?dl=0

I'm unsure why dropbox wrote over the old output.log but I guess that's just how dropbox works. Even if it's the same link, it's now a new file. I can tell because the new output log is smaller in size.

From now on I will rename the output log with a date and pc name so I know where it came from otherwise it confuses everyone.

I am wondering why planes are so powerfull with FAR and KSP 1.0.2

Same engines, same take off weight and you reach 300m/s on initial climb, still accelerating, you can climb at 45° when you were struggling to gain speed after take off and climbing low angle with FAR and KSP 0.90.....

Is it the fact that I used B9 pack for 0.90 and on 1.0.2 B9 pack is not yet updated and I don't use it?

OK, so it's quite not so realistic

Nerfing engines by 1/2 isn't particularly realistic either. It was done because stock drag was so much higher than FAR before. Now that this isn't the case, there's no reason to it anymore. Whether the stock thrust curves are realistic or not is another matter. But it you want realistic jet engines you should download AJE.

OK, so it's quite not so realistic

You are wrong again. Jets engines works much different in KSP 1.x.x compared with KSP 0.90

That is reason why they were no longer nerfed by FAR.

Jet engines reaches maximum thrust as you have more speed and engine thrust rapidly falls when you raise speed more.

Much closer as real life jet engines work, although ISP variation on speed/altitude is not calculated. If you are seek for even more realism, try AJE (Advanced Jet Engine) mod.

EDIT:

Ninjaed by Blowfish

Is there a version of the Advanced jet engine that will work with the new voxel system and the current version of the game?

You have to check AJE thread for proper answer, but as far as I know, yes. AJE will work with new FAR and I belive with stock game too, but slighly less optimized.

I think that they were close to release this mod, but some config optimization is still WIP.

How 'bout a question instead of an incomplete bug report? :) -- If I add a part and get the CoL arrow re-displayed (meaning the part is not FAR-compatible), what's the resulting behaviour? Does the entire craft revert to stock aero? Just stock aero for that particular part? An appearance from aeroCthulu if I try to fly with those parts?

Is there a version of the Advanced jet engine that will work with the new voxel system and the current version of the game?

AJE has no reason to interact with the voxel system - it only changes the math behind thrust and Isp. The dev version on Github is working fine, though some of the mod configs need updating.

- - - Updated - - -

How 'bout a question instead of an incomplete bug report? :) -- If I add a part and get the CoL arrow re-displayed (meaning the part is not FAR-compatible), what's the resulting behaviour? Does the entire craft revert to stock aero? Just stock aero for that particular part? An appearance from aeroCthulu if I try to fly with those parts?

That won't happen. FAR overrides the stock aerodynamics calculation completely, and with the new voxel aero mod parts need no compatibility patches for FAR unless they're wings.

That won't happen. FAR overrides the stock aerodynamics calculation completely, and with the new voxel aero mod parts need no compatibility patches for FAR unless they're wings.

These were fuselages, but it's a moot point anyway since I just found out the part creator has finished configs for FAR and will be releasing an update soon. :) I was just curious what the behaviour would be if I used incompatible parts.

These were fuselages, but it's a moot point anyway since I just found out the part creator has finished configs for FAR and will be releasing an update soon. :) I was just curious what the behaviour would be if I used incompatible parts.

What parts are these? Fuselages should not require any compatibility patches for FAR.

What parts are these? Fuselages should not require any compatibility patches for FAR.

Mk2 Stock-a-Like expansion parts. Some of the fuselages cause the CoL arrow to return, which always makes me concerned when I see that.

Mk2 Stock-a-Like expansion parts. Some of the fuselages cause the CoL arrow to return, which always makes me concerned when I see that.

Oh, they probably had ModuleLiftingSurface which needed to be removed. So I guess you're right.

I'm curious why FAR doesn't have a global MM patch to remove that module everywhere.

gilflo: if you want realistic engines, then use AJE. Messing with engines is outside of FAR's scope.

AJE is for KSP 0.9 only and I am already frustrated with bugs in the game. I don't want to be accused of using another broken mod so I've given KSP a break. :(

@Ferram: Just wanted to pop in and thank you. I wasn't expecting much while using B9's Hypersonic S2 cockpit but both it and FAR surprised me when checking transonic design and lo and behold retracting the cockpit changes its physical mesh (and voxel submap) and makes it even more streamlined. It allowed me to make a mach 6+ stable craft with >1 lift to drag from sub- to trans- to super- to hypersonic. I just wish 64k were updated as I'm curious as to what speed its drag overcomes lift. I'll see if I can get a copy of the craft on this laptop and post it. Its transonic design is smoother than glass (without landing gear activated; unfortunately BD's adjustable landing gear don't play nicely with the gear up / down button in FAR's GUI [nothing against FAR of course just how BD's gear are designed]). Thanks again for everything!

Was it the 15.2 "Ferri" release that fixed the spontaneously departing wing syndrome caused by Trajectories, or a more recent dev build?

I suppose it was the last Trajectories build that fixed the issue. Did not perform much testing though.....

More stalling flaps issues. Oh boy.

Flaps don't seem to work even with fixed leading edges, fixed wing AoA, or leading edge flaps. Only things under around 15 degrees work without stalling.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

What should I do?

EDIT: Also, takeoff speeds are really high, and flaps don't help. And if I deploy landing flaps, they don't stall, but they make the plane nose down even though I moved them forwards.

How hard can aerospace be anyways? Very hard.

Edited by Naten

Flaps stalling at very low AoAs are indicative of the flaps not being able to detect the wing parts ahead of them, which points to either colliders not being set right or the wing aerodynamic center not being set right; in either case, this is outside of my control for pWings. Perhaps they're not being set in the editor if it's working in flight?

And high takeoff / landing speeds are indicative of too much mass for the wing area. Add more wing / lose some mass.

Flaps stalling at very low AoAs are indicative of the flaps not being able to detect the wing parts ahead of them, which points to either colliders not being set right or the wing aerodynamic center not being set right; in either case, this is outside of my control for pWings. Perhaps they're not being set in the editor if it's working in flight?

And high takeoff / landing speeds are indicative of too much mass for the wing area. Add more wing / lose some mass.

Do flaps under FAR actually do a chord change calculation? News to me.

I've had this happen with the stock Swept wings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.